Nsaids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nsaids

In a recent post, Rohrer01 said her doctor informed her that nsaids are coming up as being harmful even in "harmless" doses. I'm wondering if anyone can add any info here- any new research they have come upon or MD alerts...

Thanks for any and all responses...

Advil Amy
    Amy
    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
    Exercising to correct

Here's some stuff I found after your and roher's posts. The pain site has a wealth of information, and not just about NSAIDS.

Wondering a LOT about the so-called "co-therapy" meds (?). Seems that as users relieving chronic pain we'd have heard about them, especially if the intake is cumulative as rohrer was told.

“safe analgesia” may be an oxymoron
    More than 80% of patients developing GI complications have no prior symptoms or warning signals.

cardiotoxic effects of NSAIDs. Naproxen has been viewed as somewhat less cardiotoxic but it may confer up to a 3-fold greater risk of GI complications than other NSAIDs

However, there are unresolved questions about the safety of NSAIDs for treating chronic pain conditions, and adverse GI or cardiovascular events associated with NSAIDs often result in benefit-to-risk ratios favoring acetaminophen or opioid analgesics.

http://updates.pain-topics.org/2010/...in-relief.html

Four classes of drugs are available as co-therapy for reducing GI toxicity with traditional oral NSAIDs: proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), histamine H2-blockers, antacids, and prostaglandins (eg, misoprostol). The decision to initiate such co-therapy is dependent on several factors, including increased risks of serious GI complications in the following groups: [see, Ong et al. 2007; Risser et al. 2009].
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Well that makes me NOT want to take my naproxen...
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Here's an interesting NIH summary:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15847359
        Be happy!
        but we are alive today!

Comment

oh Lord. It's like menopause. Do you choose to be boiled in oil, burned at the stake or drawn and quartered?

I figure each of us metabolize drugs differently and that what as a group may be risky, may vary considerably by the individual. If we have relevant organ systems monitored, it seems to me we can "choose our poison" more intelligently. Don't forget, pain itself causes systemic and psychological harm including considerable immuno-suppression. Hey, life is a fatal disease!
          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

QUOTE oh Lord. It's like menopause. Do you choose to be boiled in oil, burned at the stake or drawn and quartered?

Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I've decided personally that I no longer want to relieve pain if at the same time the underlying problem is growing worse (and may even be faciliated by the method of pain relief, either by masking or more directly).

At the very least we need education on how to move. Also, I believe joint damage itself is cumulative and additive - that as the disks deteriorate they release a toxic chemical causing further erosion and more damage.

That process must be arrested, somehow.

I much regret the years when I focussed on pain relief alone.

Comment

We all have our "regrets" on how we have dealt with our spine issues. Don't beat yourself up over it. (((HUGS)))
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

Big Bird

Advil Amy,

Oh boy! I'm sure we can keep this one going for a long time.
                  I'm just wondering if I triggered my kidney stone with NSAIDs......

The widespread intake of NSAIDs results in approximately 107,000 hospitalizations annually for gastrointestinal complications and 16,500 deaths for arthritis patients (Peura DA 2002).

Is this on Quackwatch? Do I hear quacking sounds? Yes, its "Big Bird".

http://www.lef.org/protocols/appendi...oxicity_01.htm

Percoset Pete
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Percky,

Read your article.......Take me out back and hang me...

Did you or anyone ever have one of those days when you are sick to death of your back ruling the world?

From time to time when the bottle runs out, I completely give up my ibuprofen. The thing is....it allows me to do the old stuff I shouldn't do anymore like planting 25 pots of flowers (yesterday and the day before- big pots, really big) or long hikes or relentless on-your-feet work days. And the fun things like you do...skiing and playing...okay, maybe not like you do.

By the way, you quack me up, Ed.

Gotta go run and buy some milk thistle...
                    Amy
                    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                    Exercising to correct

Comment

Amy

I have battled scoliosis most of my life and yes, it can be tiring. As I aged, the scales tipped and pain increased, but I forged on. Any kind of alternative method that does not involve medications is worth a try.... and you can see why. Expensive? yes. Is it worth it? yes.

I learned a few tricks from the masters of pain control. No, not the marines, the little old 78 yr old ladies who battle huge kyphotic curves down at the hair salon. They completely block pain from their minds. I'm pretty good at it, but sometimes you can see it in my face, the wrinkles, and the sweat.

I started scuba diving about 15 years ago, I figured, an activity that de-weights the spine can only help. I have done dives in major pain. I have skied in major pain. Even skiing this year, I had some battles, but overcame them.

Go ahead and do that walk. Look at at the mountains, let your mind go. Transfer your thoughts....
                      Walk past the pain. Sometimes its all we can do.
                      Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                        Amy

Go ahead and do that walk. Look at at the mountains, let your mind go. Transfer your thoughts....
                        Walk past the pain. Sometimes its all we can do.
                        Ed
                        Sooo true! Sometimes it gets hard to do. I find myself overwhelmed. My pain is worse when it is coupled with fear. Like not being able to breathe because your ribs hurt so badly and muscle spasms everywhere. My hubby "talks me through it" while giving massage or pressure point therapy. It works most of the time.
                        Be happy!
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                        X