Hypokyphosis ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypokyphosis ???

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about hypokyphosis. I received a call from Dr. Hey in N.C. and he said that was a factor in the squishing of the heart and lungs. I have SEVERE hypokyphosis and was just wondering if anyone else has any knowledge or experience. I guess it is rather common for those of us with T curves. I was just wondering if this should be a major factor in my decision whether or not to have surgery. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
    Last edited by rohrer01; 06-08-2010, 07:48 AM.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

You may want to do a search on kyphosis. In terms of a disorder, it's interchangeable with hypokyphosis.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi rohr
      my report says i am "particularly hypokyphotic in the thoracic spine, but with good overall balance." i have some reduced lung power, but not alot...so i consider myself lucky...but i think my thoracic curve is smaller than yours...it is now 42 degrees, while larger lumbar curve of 62 gives me the problems...i know one can live with hyperkyphosis without problems, but i also know if the curve gets big enuf, the problems will show up...

how many surgeons think you should have surgery now...is Dr Hey the only one at the moment, or are there others?

jess

Comment

I haven't seen or talked to any other surgeons, yet. I haven't even seen Dr. Hey and he never said he would recommend surgery. I wouldn't trust anyone who told me that without even seeing me. He did say that he has treated people like me in the past with fairly good results 80-90% success rate. He was the ONLY one so far to ever address my hypokyphosis, though. This area is painful for me, and when I went to the chiro and she would push on that area it made it worse. It would knock the wind out of me every time.

I tried searching, but I'll try again.

Be happy!
        but we are alive today!

Comment

yes, i know...i dont let anyone press on it...and am very very careful when i do have massages...which isnt often anymore...
          with the botox shots, my muscles cant spasm wherever the shots are...they used to bunch up and i'd get these big knots!
          a surgeon who shall be nameless, when i first started looking, told me i had a "hunch back"..i said could you phrase that a little more medically!!

hope you find some relief!

jess

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            You may want to do a search on kyphosis. In terms of a disorder, it's interchangeable with hypokyphosis.
            Isn't hypokyphosis the reverse of what's normally called kyphosis? If kyphosis curves too much, I thought hypokyphosis curved too little.

Comment

This is the most relevant information I could find.

http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/content/abstract/87/9/1937

It appears that it is believed to be one of the four components that impair lung function. Although according to this study, some subjects had more lung function impairment than would be suggested by the severity of their scoliosis.
              Be happy!
              but we are alive today!

Comment

hypo= below
                kyphosis= bowing out

It is not enough curve outward where it should be, the opposite of hunchback. It can even turn into lordosis or a bending inward. It causes a hollow spot between my shoulder blades.
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

hyper=above, too much

hyperkyphosis is the word for the overly rounded back.
                  Be happy!
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

Sorry, you're absolutely correct.

I think that too little kyphosis is usually not a problem unless the spine is unbalanced in the sagittal plane.
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Dr. Tribus told me that there is actually a reduction in lung function after a scoliosis surgery. How can this be if the surgeon is able to pull the spine away from the chest wall? I would think that having the spine pushing toward the sternum would tend to smash things in there. ???
                      Be happy!
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                        Dr. Tribus told me that there is actually a reduction in lung function after a scoliosis surgery. How can this be if the surgeon is able to pull the spine away from the chest wall? I would think that having the spine pushing toward the sternum would tend to smash things in there. ???
                        I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this, as well. I had thought that it was related to anterior surgery, but it seems to be I've heard people without only posterior surgery talk about a reduction in lung function.

Comment

I've heard of reduced lung capacity in the context of:

1) thoracoplasty (removing the rib hump)
                          2) temporary--anesthesia related
                          3) anterior thoracic surgeries where a complication could be slight damage to the chest wall (but I thought this was becoming less common with more posterior-only surgeries for thoracic)

Evelyn

P.S.
                          Rohrer, it makes complete sense to me that hypokyphosis would cause heart/lung issues, as it seems logical that it would decrease the space for these organs. I would think that would be a primary consideration for surgery.
                          age 48
                          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

That's what I thought, too. I just don't know what to do. I found a doc that I know will do the surgery and it scares the daylights out of me! I would have to travel out of state, as the one where I live won't do it. He says I'm in the surgical grey area. My curves are 46* upper thoracic and 38* lower thoracic. I might add that I'm 41 years old. I'm afraid if I wait until I'm older, the surgery will get more complicated.
                            Be happy!
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                              That's what I thought, too. I just don't know what to do. I found a doc that I know will do the surgery and it scares the daylights out of me! I would have to travel out of state, as the one where I live won't do it. He says I'm in the surgical grey area. My curves are 46* upper thoracic and 38* lower thoracic. I might add that I'm 41 years old. I'm afraid if I wait until I'm older, the surgery will get more complicated.
                              How too true!
                              Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                              Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                              main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                              Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Working...
                              X