FINALLY set a surgery date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINALLY set a surgery date

Hey guys, i havent really been on here in a while, but thought i would let you know i have a pre op appointment in St. Louis on Aug. 9, and the surgery is set for Sept. 16. Even though I have two pretty major curves, Dr. Bridwell want to fuse T11- sacrum.
    Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
    Still unsure of post-op numbers
    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
    Scoli pics

hey mike
    congratulations on your decision....it's been awhile that you've been considering surgery, if i recall correctly...

are you having minimally invasive approach?

i need same levels fused...is your surgeon going to need to anchor to pelvis?

wishing you uneventful and smooth procedure and healing...

jess

Comment

It will be here before you know it! It seems like a long way off, but will be here fore you can blink an eye. You'll so be so glad when it is behind you.

Glenda
      Glenda
      Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
      Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
      Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
      A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
      Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
      Pleased with outcome

Comment

That's great you have your date, now you can move into getting ready for surgery mode. I'm hoping to set a date as well soon. I gather your doc feels your upper curve is compensatory (?). Lucky you, you may be on your way to 7':-) I would love an inch or so myself (only 5') but that would really be a perk.

Debra
        Debra
        Age 45
        Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
        Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
        Fused T4-T12
        Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
        Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Sept surgery with Dr Bridwell

Congrats on making the decision!

I can personally attest to Dr Bridwell and his nurse, Bernie, being wonderful to deal with. I was actually scheduled to be fused by him next week, but then we had to fight with our insurance company...and we are still fighting.

Will they be using BMP on you? Has your insurance company given you any problems with approving it? Will you be driving to St Louis or flying?

Marissa

cyborg2be
          right thoracic curve of 74 degrees
          left lumbar curve of 44

Comment

Congrats on the decision! That is a major step.

I'm scheduled to see Dr. Bridwell later this month. I noticed you are travelling from Ohio. Did he give you a schedule on how many trips you'll need to make to St. Louis? And do you mind if I ask if you're driving or flying? I'm just trying to fathom which would be easier post-surgery.

Thanks,
            Evelyn
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Mike

Sounds good... I will never forget that day. It took me a long..... long.... time to set my surgical dates. 34 years.

Try not to worry, your going to do just fine.
              Don’t be a stranger
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Congrats on getting a surgery date. I actually drove over from Indy to St Louis this past Sunday and had my first appointment with Dr. Bridwell Monday morning. Had lots of xrays and may be having surgery Aug 31 or September. Bernie needs to confirm a date with Dr B. I feel very comfortable with him doing the surgery. I have to get a couple tests done in Indy (Bone Density, Pulmonary Function) and he's waiting for some surgical notes from my Indy surgeon who did my spondylolisthesis fusion in Jan '09. At this point he thinks I will be fused from T3 or 4 to sacrum. Bernie said there will be 3 visits to St Louis before surgery and I've already had one.
                Age 56
                Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                Thoracic 68
                Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                Dr Bridwell St Louis
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Good for you that you're moving ahead with this while you're young. It will make healing easier and faster. It will be here and over with before you know it. Best wishes!

Anne in PA
                  Age 58
                  Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                  T4 to sacrum fusion
                  63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                  Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                  Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Good for you that you set a date.
                    Now you can move forward

Melissa

Comment

good luck with your surgery
                      Kara
                      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                      T4-L2
                      Before 50T
                      After 20T

Comment

Hey thanks everybody! Ya, Dr. Bridwell and Bernie have been great to work with. I had to reschedule my surgery from Sept. 2 to the 16th, and it was no problem. I have been there twice already, and I have to go one more time before surgery, on Aug. 9. We have driven each time for these pre-op appointments, and I think we'll drive out for surgery, but I'm really considering getting a plane ticket home. I really can't imagine sitting up in a car for 8 hours on the trip home. Actually I'm sure it would turn into a 2 day trip home so I could rest my back.
                        As far as insurance goes, well, hmmmm. I am self employed, and of course I cant get traditional insurance because of my pre-existing condition b eing scoliosis. I have been on a discount plan for the last few years. I was just accepted for, I guess you could call it normal insurance about a month ago with Assurant Health. They have been really great so far, but theres a 12 month waiting period on pre-existing conditions. Unless, I have been insured for 16 months prior to the effective date of Assurant. Im waiting on an answer from them saying whether or not I have to wait the 12 months. If I do, Ill be using my discount plan, and Ill most likely be in MAJOR debt for the rest of my life. I really cant imagine dealing with this pain for another year.

Wow, I have never typed this much on here...
                        Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
                        Still unsure of post-op numbers
                        37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                        Scoli pics

Comment

Working...
                        X