picking up items from floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• picking up items from floor

I am fused from T2 -sacrum .Yes I realize that I am only a month out .However, in my lifetime, will I ever be able to pick something up off the floor with my hands instead of a grabber? Just wondering? Not rushing?

Thanks

Melissa

Hi Melissa, I have almost the same fusion as you, and yes I felt about the same as you do now for at least three to four months as far as not being able to pick up anything without my grabbers. I don't even use them anymore. It will be gradual and different. I would still use those grabbers for a good while though for separating the wash and things like that.

For one month out, you sound like you are doing very well!
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Glad you asked that question Melissa, I feel the same way. I use my grabbers for everything, getting dressed, laundry, picking everything up everywhere as I just can't reach the floor with my hands.
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

I was able to pick things up unaided at the six months stage, however, my fusion begins at T11 and this is probably why it was easier for me. Don't worry you will get there. We eventually find a 'new' way to deal with most things thrown our way.
        Vali
        44 years young! now 45
        Surgery - June 1st, 2009
        Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
        St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
        Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
        Post -op - 5 degrees
        T11 - S1 Posterior
        L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

My fusion's T4-pelvis and I didn't use a grabber except for 2 weeks around the 3 month mark, when my knees were bothering me. I would bend my knees to get down low, or go down on one knee. Now I can simply bend from the pelvis to pick up the tiniest thing from the floor - though it's a stretch - so you do gain a bit of flexibility as time goes by.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I just either go down on one knee (which is hard for me with my arthritis, so I don't do it all that much) or use my grabber, because I was led to believe if I overuse my L5-sacrum I can cause them to wear out. In the case where I need to pick up something and I don't have my grabber and I just want to reach over, I use a "golfer's reach"-- a maneuver my physical therapist taught me. It is much easier on your back than leaning over with both feet on the floor. You'll notice when a golfer goes to pick up his golf ball out of the cup that he/she lifts one of his/her legs up behind. Sort of like a ballet arabesque, but different incline since you're reaching clear to the floor/ground-- and not really like an arabesque. Anyway, I'd much rather be too careful than really sorry. So even after 3 years I'm still almost always using my grabbers. But that's me.
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I really use my feet to pick up thing off the floor because my one of my sisters said my right foot like like a hand
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

I can bend over to pick something up off the floor - just hurts when I come back up. I asked Dr. Lenke about that and he said I could start to bend over to get things off the floor, but just not to topple over and be sure to steady myself. So, I still have my grabber and its just still more comfortable to use that whenever I can. Dragging things in and out of the drier and then lifting the laundry basket sometimes is still a task but I figure that's a job for my 13 yo son anyways and he loves helping, so that is how I am handlign that for now.
                Rita Thompson
                Age 46
                Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I use my size 10 feet to pick things up or just go down on one knee.It does get easier.
                  Aug.17,09 Anterior
                  Aug.20,09 Posterior
                  Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                  Cedars-Sinai
                  Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                  Husband married 30 years
                  3 kids 29,28,25
                  4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

I'm starting to wish again that I lived in the age of "Upstairs. Downstairs" (as an Upstairs person!) and were brought up being used to being waited on - could tune out servants. Read that Winston Churchill walked around stark nekkid in front of the help; they were invisible to him.

How lovely that would be - if I could afford it, that is! HAHAHAHA.

Starting to worry abt yet one more thin (do NOT want to damage my fusion when it comes). I'm sure it's different for flexible teens - certainly about the foot-grab! I USED to be able to do that too, especially with Ehler Danlos hyperflexibility. (Back to pre-toddlerhood. Mommy picks up everything I drop from the crib!)

OTOH there ARE specially trained dogs, if you don't mind getting everything back with dog spit! There we go...
                    Last edited by Back-out; 06-08-2010, 10:28 AM.
                    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I have no problem now with picking up small items off the floor although I still tend to favor my grabbers only because I’m 61 and want to preserve my knees for as long as possible.

Comment

Hi Melissa

Like others here, I thought I would be using my grabbers forever. I'm a little over the 9-month mark and had T10-sacrum surgery. What I'm finding is that I still use my grabbers but less and less over time. I have gravitated from my long grabbers to long kitchen tongs. I expect that I will not even need those down the line.

Karen
                        Karen, 66 years "young"
                        Polio at 6
                        Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
                        Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
                        Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
                        Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
                        Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                        Three surgeries in one week:
                        8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
                        8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
                        9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Well, after seeing my surgeon yesterday for my one month post appt, he said to me at this point we really do not know if you will be able to pick up items from the ground without the grabber.

So we shall wait and see

Melissa

Comment

Melissa -
                            As time goes by you should be able to pick things up from the floor without using a grabber. For those first six months when there is to be no BLT, grabbers are indispensable. Later on you will begin to gradually test your limits to see what you are capable of doing and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

I have no problems picking things from the floor or doing laundry. I find now, most often I use the grabbers in the kitchen for things on high shelves. I should have had one of those things years ago!

Susie, at times I also use the 'golfer's reach' or a modified version of it. Just a quick grab and go.
                            Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                            Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                            Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                            A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                            Achieved +70% Correction
                            Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                            New Spine 03/19/2009
                            New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

For some things (laundry) I still use my grabber, but most other things I either bend down OR.....(don't laugh) if I'm barefoot, I'll use my toes--the built-in grabber.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                              X