Rehab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rehab?

I was told that after I leave the hospital I will spend 2-3 weeks in rehab. Is this a mandatory thing? It would probably be good since I will be well taken care of, but it just seems like a long time to be away from home and my children. Has everyone else went?
    Leanna
    32 yrs. old
    surgery scheduled for 06/18/10
    90* pre-op
    23* post-op

I was told that I would be in the hospital one week and that I would either go home or possibly spend another week at a rehab. center depending upon how I'm getting along. Obviously, I'm hoping that I will get to go home after a week to be with my husband and my 2 schnauzers that I will miss terribly. (It really has to be difficult for the mothers who have children at home! ) However, if I need more rehab. than I get in the week at the hospital, I will willing go because it will make things smoother once I get home.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi

I was in the hospital for 10 days and the rehab for 10 days and it was the best thing that I could have done.When I got home, I was able to do so much for my self that I could not have done if I had come home straight from the hospital.

Melissa

Comment

I was told the exact same thing Karen was. I ended up 8 days in the hospital and 8 days in rehab. I think it was immensely helpful to be close, to have more time to heal, etc. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

What Melissa says ... ditto for me. The surgeon thought I could go home 5 days post op. But the rehab doc recommended 10 days in rehab. And he had to pry three extra days out of my insurance company. It was a very good move.

Andrew

Comment

No rehab for me....7 days in the hospital then came home and was able to manage fine.

Rich
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
            A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
            Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
            Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

No rehab here.....7 days in hosp, 1 day in hotel after release from hosp - doing just great!!!!
              Rita Thompson
              Age 46
              Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
              Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
              Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
              Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Does the dr's decision have anything to do with having a helper/not?

If anyone sees this...I'm wondering a lot about logistics (probably helps me think less about the medical which is so overwhelming). Finances matter and I don't want to wear out the patience of my helper(s - son may be there for the surgery, in addition to SIL).

If you go to rehab, does your "helping person" go with? I know many hospitals let the helper stay in the room with you and seems to me I've heard some let them have a cot in rehab too. SIL was with my mother in hospital after knee replacement, and most of the time she was in her rehab. Reportedly, was of great assistance in both places - not just comfort but safety too.

I live in Central PA, SIL lives in FL, son lives in NC for a job, but is flexible because of taking a year off school. And I don't know WHERE I'm going to have the surgery yet, nor with whom...Hotels, airfare, car rentals.

Oh, right...surgery too! Come to think of it, it might be comforting to be near hospital and surgeon for a while longer "in case". (Just read some rough "complication" threads). I DO live so far away from everything, no matter where I go.

Wondering how I'm going to work things, as usual.
                Hmm. Just noticed I'm talking about the surgery as an assumption. Been proceeding on an "as if" basis, but it seems to be firming up at some level. Maybe because I'm in more pain.
                Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Leanna

I didn’t go, but I would recommend going if they feel you should go.

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Regarding rehab -- your surgeon and his team will decide whether or not you need to go, based on how well you are doing after surgery. But if the issue of rehab has been raised as a possibility, do your homework and choose a rehab that's close to home if you can, then be sure to give your surgical team the name of the rehab before surgery.

In my case, my surgery was in New York, a two-hour drive from my home. After 10 days in the hospital, I was sent via ambulance (a pretty painless ride, as I was drugged to the gills) to the rehab I'd chosen near my home, and I had a very good experience there. I stayed for about 10 days, and my husband and daughter came to visit me every day. I got excellent care and didn't want to leave! My husband could never have handled me if I'd come home straight from the hospital, so it worked out great for everybody.
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

ditto...I had Dr. Boachie like Singer in NYC and did the rehab thing in Jersey at Kessler. Thank God because I needed much help that week in rehab. I was pretty helpless at that stage & it all would have fell on my husband who already had my 2 boys to care for. After a week there, I was way better when I was at home but still had my mom helping me for a week when I got home..
                      LY
                      Hi Singer!!

Comment

Rehab is usually covered by medical insurance.
                        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

My rehad was done in the hospital. Next day after surgery, the physios' came in and we started with the walking, how to stretch your legs gently, stairs, coughing to keep your lungs clear etc. On day 8 post-op, i went home and i was fine to cope.
                          Vali
                          44 years young! now 45
                          Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                          Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                          St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                          Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                          Post -op - 5 degrees
                          T11 - S1 Posterior
                          L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I spent two weeks in rehab after my 5-1/2 day hospital stay. It was a suburban location of the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (one of the best rehab centers in the country). I loved my rehab stay. I was given a private room and I felt like I was on vacation. The staff was so attentive and accommodating. I could not have asked for better. I think for those of us who are older, rehab is most helpful. My family caregivers could not have provided me with the kind of immediate post-op care that I received from professionally trained staff and therapists following this major surgery.

Comment

After both of my surgeries I stayed in the hospital for 5 days, then went home. My hubby took great care of me at home and I would not have wanted to stay any longer in the hospital or at a rehab. Although, if I had not had help at home I would have had to go to a rehab just because I needed help with meals, bathing, laundry, and transportation. If I had not had help at home, I just would not have eaten at all. I think 2-3 weeks is a little long for staying in rehab though. By that time, I would be going crazy to get out of the hospital!
                              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
                              X