No announcement yet.

Chest tube for posterior-only surgery??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chest tube for posterior-only surgery??

I forgot to ask my surgeon this yesterday at my last pre-op appointment. Does anyone know if I get a chest tube if I am having posterior-only surgery? I have a double curve in the thoracic and lumbar areas. I know for the A/p surgery you get one, just not sure if you automatically get one for the posterior-only surgery. Thanks!

JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Originally posted by JenM View Post
    I forgot to ask my surgeon this yesterday at my last pre-op appointment. Does anyone know if I get a chest tube if I am having posterior-only surgery? I have a double curve in the thoracic and lumbar areas. I know for the A/p surgery you get one, just not sure if you automatically get one for the posterior-only surgery. Thanks!

JenM
    Jen,

I did not have a chest tube.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Jen, I had anterior/posterior, no chest tube, what would be the reason for the tube either way?
      Dolores A
      June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
      June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
      Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
      NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Yesterday, the internist at the hospital, not my surgeon, told me I'd probably get a chest tube because anytime the thoracic curve is being operated on, there is excess liquid/drainage that occurs around the lungs and a chest tube is necessary. I don't think that that doctor was right though since she is just an internist and doesn't specialize in doing spinal surgeries, she just gave me medical clearance for the surgery. For some reason I just think people who have A/P surgeries get one.

Comment

I thought the tube used for posterior surgeries was called a drain, but I could be wrong.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had posterior only and I didn't have any tubes or drains in my chest. Not even in my back.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jen,

Like I said, I didn't have a chest tube, but I did have 2 drains in my lower back, right around the 'dimples' above the butt. BTW, those areas were numb and/or painful for quite some time after surgery, but the are almost 100% back to normal by now. There could be a slight bit of numbness left, but I'm not sure.

Comment

Hi Jen - I had posterior only surgery in the throasic area 7 weeks ago. I did not have a chest tube. I did have one small drainage tube in my back. I was not even aware of it until the 2nd day. That drainage tube caused me no problem at all.
                Shari - 55 years old
                Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                Post op 13 degree curve.
                Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

JenM
                  This may not help since I am going to be A/P, but I was told I will have a chest tube for 2-3 days after which I was told will drain excess liquid in my chest around my lungs and such. Sounds as though the tube may come from my anterior approach so that may not be something you will have to worry about.
                  Leanna
                  32 yrs. old
                  surgery scheduled for 06/18/10
                  90* pre-op
                  23* post-op

Comment

Ok, thanks everyone. It looks like from your responses that it is used for the A/P surgery, which is what I thought. I hate tubes and IV's, so that's one less tube I have to worry about!

Comment

I had 2 drains at the same spot Debbe described and they're still sore and like little bruises. If I had a chest tube I don't remember. Janet
                      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Ok, thanks everyone. It looks like from your responses that it is used for the A/P surgery, which is what I thought. I hate tubes and IV's, so that's one less tube I have to worry about!
                        Jen,

I was only AWAKE while getting the first IV. All other IV's were placed after I was alseep. Some of them came out even before I woke up, but there was evidence of them being there (bruises, etc.) later. From what I recall, I had 2 IV's, a catheter and the drain tubes in the back when I woke up. I remember being disturbed looking at the drain containers, thinking that I was bleeding too much, but they assured me that what was coming out was normal.

Comment

Hi Jen
                          I had A/P surgeries but the only reason I had a chest tube was for the collapsed lung which happened 3 days after the posterior surgery (which was done first.)

I don't think a chest tube is standard procedure. I did have two drains after the posterior surgery - one in my upper left back and one in my right hip over the bone harvesting site. When I was lying down I was very conscious of those tubes and was afraid I would inadvertently pull one out. Not sure why I was so concerned about it.... but they didn't hurt in the least!
                          Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                          Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                          Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                          A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                          Achieved +70% Correction
                          Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                          New Spine 03/19/2009
                          New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

I had A/P surgery and did not have a chest tube, and my revision surgery was posterior surgery and I had no chest tube. I really don't remember what I had in 2008 because I was so foggy throughout the whole hospitalization, but this most recent surgery I know I just had a Hemovac drain, a pain catheter called a Q Cath (?), That was inserted into the incision and removed after a couple of days, and a central line in my neck. Oh, and the lovely foley catheter.
                            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I had posterior-only surgery and did not have a chest tube, but kind of wish I did! I developed a large pleural effusion post-surgery and I had to have a chest tube inserted for a week to drain all the fluid out...

Comment

Working...
                              X