Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does cortisone (injection form) help condition or "just" relieve pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does cortisone (injection form) help condition or "just" relieve pain?

I'm no fan of cortisone (for me anyhow), as an oral med because of side effects. However, I'm rethinking it for injections which seems to be less dangerous. As discussed elsewhere, I relied on narcotics for pain control on and off for a decade, while dealing with a complex family situation. Now that the fit is hitting the shan (much worsened curve, arthritis and disability) I regret failing to address the source of the pain more directly - instead of just treating the pain.

I especially regret it because I figure focusing on pain relief, probably allowed/caused my spine to get worse, including DDD. I belatedly understand that joint inflammation is a damaging process, eroding the whole joint in addition to the disk (which releases an eroding chemical as it "dies".

If cortisone (injections) not only relieve pain, but reduce damage they seem like an especially good idea (and one I wish I'd turned to sooner). Dumb dumb dumb!. My kids ARE doing better, though, so my lack of self-management wasn't entirely a waste. (I didn't seem able to multi-task during those kid-centric years).

Better late than never, though. Cortisone IS the most usual chemical used in spinal injections, isn't it? Am I right about its reducing joint damage? Are there any downsides? How soon do you know if it's helping, and how often are injections (usually) given? At more than one location in the spine?

Thank you!!
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

It's my understanding that the injections will eventually wear the joint out. So it's just another treatment option that will buy some time.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

that is my understanding as well, rohr......
      far as i know, cortisone injections do not reduce any damage..and all steroids cause damage eventually...oral or injectable...or so my doctors tell me..
      cortisone decreases the ability of the body to fight infection...AND...causes thinning of bones (leach calcium out of bones?)
      there is a limit to how often steroids can be given by injection...
      cortisone helps some people and doesnt help others...also i think it depends on where in body and for what reason the shots are given...

jess
      Last edited by jrnyc; 06-03-2010, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X