Surgery and Heart Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery and Heart Issues

My surgery is June 9th and at my final physical with my family doctor I was told I had an abnormal EKG. She would not approve me for surgery until I saw a cardiologist. Cardiologist says I have a minor leak in my aortc valve. He won't approve me for surgery until I have a stress test. Test is today. I am supposed to leave for St. Louis in 2 days and at this point I don't know if they will approve me for surgery.

Has any one had fusion surgery with leaky heart valves??

Teresa
    Teresa
    Age 46; Diagnosed at age 11, 4 years Milwalkee Brace
    62/66 degrees pre-op
    Surgery 6/09/10 with Dr. Lenke - T4-S1, 2 cages
    20/17 degrees post-op
    SCOLIOSIS RUNS IN THE FAMILY!
    Mom to:
    Ryan, diagnosed @ 13 w/24 degree curve; Lauren diagnosed @ 10 w/10 degree curve; Bryce diagnosed @ 9 w/19 degree curve. Bryce underwent vertebral stapling 5/11/09, 28 degrees pre-op to 7 degrees one year post-op. Vertebral Stapling ROCKS!

I'm so sorry to hear of this, Teresa.

You must be beside yourself with concern.

I hope and pray that this amounts to nothing, and you can proceed with your plans. Will you know the results of the stress test right away?

Amy
    Amy
    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
    Exercising to correct

Comment

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Such a worry with surgery scheduled just around the corner. I'm sorry i don't have any input of value, just thinking of you. Good luck!
      Shari - 55 years old
      Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
      Post op 13 degree curve.
      Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
      2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
      Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
      www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

How did your stress test go?

You know, if you do need to postpone back surgery to deal with the heart issue, it is probably for the best. Best to go into this fully prepared!

Hope you get the all-clear soon.

Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenthumb View Post
          My surgery is June 9th and at my final physical with my family doctor I was told I had an abnormal EKG. She would not approve me for surgery until I saw a cardiologist. Cardiologist says I have a minor leak in my aortc valve. He won't approve me for surgery until I have a stress test. Test is today. I am supposed to leave for St. Louis in 2 days and at this point I don't know if they will approve me for surgery.

Has any one had fusion surgery with leaky heart valves??

Teresa
          Hi Teresa,
          I have two leaky heart valves. I doubt you will have a problem. Have they done an echo cardiogram?
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Teresa,
            I have no experiece with that but you will be in great hands with Dr. Lenke. I have complete trust in him. Best of luck to you! I actually am having my first followup appt with Lenke 6/16.
            Laura
            62 degrees
            49 yrs. young
            Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

You are all so awesome. Thank you for the supportive comments. I had the stress test yesterday. They normally don't give the results immediately, but since I am leaving tomorrow for the surgery they reviewed it while I waited. My heart strength was in the normal range! Yea!! The cardiologist said he would approve me for the surgery and then gave me a big good luck hug. It is so nice to have a doctor with a big heart. LOL Cardiologist with a big heart...get it? Ok, that was corney, but I am so happy to have that behind me. After waiting two year for the surgery it was crazy to not have my final approval until two days before leaving for it.
              Teresa
              Age 46; Diagnosed at age 11, 4 years Milwalkee Brace
              62/66 degrees pre-op
              Surgery 6/09/10 with Dr. Lenke - T4-S1, 2 cages
              20/17 degrees post-op
              SCOLIOSIS RUNS IN THE FAMILY!
              Mom to:
              Ryan, diagnosed @ 13 w/24 degree curve; Lauren diagnosed @ 10 w/10 degree curve; Bryce diagnosed @ 9 w/19 degree curve. Bryce underwent vertebral stapling 5/11/09, 28 degrees pre-op to 7 degrees one year post-op. Vertebral Stapling ROCKS!

Comment

Great news, Teresa...

What a great word that is: NORMAL...when it comes to the medical realm.

Was thinking of at least two friends/relatives that had abnormal (and what a heinous one that is!) EKG's prior to surgery and later were discounted. Seems that there are so many medical procedures that end up scaring the daylights out of people heading in for an operation. Probably saves many more, but it does add to the already dramatic drama, yes?

Anyway, here's to all good news for you from here on out! (need a toast smiley here). Bottoms up.
                Amy
                58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                Exercising to correct

Comment

Teresa,
                  I'm glad you got good news! Good luck with your surgery. Dr. Lenke will be doing my surgery in Nov. I know we'll be in good hands.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Teresa, Wow just a little roller coaster ride. You must be so relieved. It recaptured for me how grateful I felt when I first found out that I could even have this surgery as an adult, and how important it is to get it done while still in fairly good health. I'm so happy for to be cleared for surgery!

Debra
                    Debra
                    Age 45
                    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                    Fused T4-T12
                    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Hi Teresa,

I agree that you're in great hands with Dr. Lenke. I've heard nothing but raves about him.

I noticed from your signature that one of your children had VBS. You may be aware that there is a support group/forum for parents of kids who have had VBS or are considering it. I know that right now you have a lot on your plate, but if ever you wished to join us in the future, I'm sure your input and experience would be most welcome. The site is www.vertebralstapling.com

Good luck!
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com
                      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Greenthumb View Post
                        You are all so awesome. Thank you for the supportive comments. I had the stress test yesterday. They normally don't give the results immediately, but since I am leaving tomorrow for the surgery they reviewed it while I waited. My heart strength was in the normal range! Yea!! The cardiologist said he would approve me for the surgery and then gave me a big good luck hug. It is so nice to have a doctor with a big heart. LOL Cardiologist with a big heart...get it? Ok, that was corney, but I am so happy to have that behind me. After waiting two year for the surgery it was crazy to not have my final approval until two days before leaving for it.
                        Good for you!!! I'm so glad things are working out for you. Good luck with your surgery; I'm looking forward to reading your update.

BTW, regarding your signature, all 3 of my kids inherited my scoli too.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Teresa,

I am so glad to hear that you got the stress test and cardiology consult so quick, and what great news that all is well with your heart. It seems like everyone has some sort of scary little snag in the run-up to surgery. That's great that that's behind you!

Best of luck with your travels and surgery. I will look forward to hearing how your recovery is going. You are in such great hands with Lenke! My daughter just had a very successful and smooth VBS surgery with Dr Luhmann in St Louis 2 weeks ago. I now need a long fusion, wish I could have it with Lenke but I just can't bear the thought of travelling that far again for surgery.

Good luck, our thoughts will be with you.
                          Gayle, age 50
                          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

So glad for you!

I failed my stress test. It was performed the same week as my father dies. I went on to have a angiogram a week before surgery. Cardiologist gave the okay. Turned out that I have part of my heart that doesn't pump right. Might have always been that way.
                            Just another stressor before surgery! Good luck and you'll be in my prayers.
                            CSC
                            Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
                            S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Working...
                            X