PDA

View Full Version : Surgery and Heart Issues

Greenthumb
06-01-2010, 08:27 AM
My surgery is June 9th and at my final physical with my family doctor I was told I had an abnormal EKG. She would not approve me for surgery until I saw a cardiologist. Cardiologist says I have a minor leak in my aortc valve. He won't approve me for surgery until I have a stress test. Test is today. I am supposed to leave for St. Louis in 2 days and at this point I don't know if they will approve me for surgery.

Has any one had fusion surgery with leaky heart valves??

Teresa

foofer
06-01-2010, 09:03 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of this, Teresa.

You must be beside yourself with concern.

I hope and pray that this amounts to nothing, and you can proceed with your plans. Will you know the results of the stress test right away?

Amy

ShariMSU
06-01-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Such a worry with surgery scheduled just around the corner. I'm sorry i don't have any input of value, just thinking of you. Good luck!

Confusedmom
06-01-2010, 07:46 PM
How did your stress test go?

You know, if you do need to postpone back surgery to deal with the heart issue, it is probably for the best. Best to go into this fully prepared!

Hope you get the all-clear soon.

Evelyn

loves to skate
06-01-2010, 07:49 PM
My surgery is June 9th and at my final physical with my family doctor I was told I had an abnormal EKG. She would not approve me for surgery until I saw a cardiologist. Cardiologist says I have a minor leak in my aortc valve. He won't approve me for surgery until I have a stress test. Test is today. I am supposed to leave for St. Louis in 2 days and at this point I don't know if they will approve me for surgery.

Has any one had fusion surgery with leaky heart valves??

Teresa

Hi Teresa,
I have two leaky heart valves. I doubt you will have a problem. Have they done an echo cardiogram?
Sally

Radiogirl
06-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Teresa,
I have no experiece with that but you will be in great hands with Dr. Lenke. I have complete trust in him. Best of luck to you! I actually am having my first followup appt with Lenke 6/16.

Greenthumb
06-02-2010, 07:14 AM
You are all so awesome. Thank you for the supportive comments. I had the stress test yesterday. They normally don't give the results immediately, but since I am leaving tomorrow for the surgery they reviewed it while I waited. My heart strength was in the normal range! Yea!! :D The cardiologist said he would approve me for the surgery and then gave me a big good luck hug. It is so nice to have a doctor with a big heart. LOL Cardiologist with a big heart...get it? Ok, that was corney, but I am so happy to have that behind me. After waiting two year for the surgery it was crazy to not have my final approval until two days before leaving for it.

foofer
06-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Great news, Teresa...

What a great word that is: NORMAL...when it comes to the medical realm.

Was thinking of at least two friends/relatives that had abnormal (and what a heinous one that is!) EKG's prior to surgery and later were discounted. Seems that there are so many medical procedures that end up scaring the daylights out of people heading in for an operation. Probably saves many more, but it does add to the already dramatic drama, yes?

Anyway, here's to all good news for you from here on out! (need a toast smiley here). Bottoms up.:o

golfnut
06-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Teresa,
I'm glad you got good news! Good luck with your surgery. Dr. Lenke will be doing my surgery in Nov. I know we'll be in good hands.

Debra JGL
06-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Teresa, Wow just a little roller coaster ride. You must be so relieved. It recaptured for me how grateful I felt when I first found out that I could even have this surgery as an adult, and how important it is to get it done while still in fairly good health. I'm so happy for to be cleared for surgery!

Debra

mariaf
06-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Hi Teresa,

I agree that you're in great hands with Dr. Lenke. I've heard nothing but raves about him.

I noticed from your signature that one of your children had VBS. You may be aware that there is a support group/forum for parents of kids who have had VBS or are considering it. I know that right now you have a lot on your plate, but if ever you wished to join us in the future, I'm sure your input and experience would be most welcome. The site is www.vertebralstapling.com :)

Good luck!

debbei
06-03-2010, 06:20 AM
You are all so awesome. Thank you for the supportive comments. I had the stress test yesterday. They normally don't give the results immediately, but since I am leaving tomorrow for the surgery they reviewed it while I waited. My heart strength was in the normal range! Yea!! :D The cardiologist said he would approve me for the surgery and then gave me a big good luck hug. It is so nice to have a doctor with a big heart. LOL Cardiologist with a big heart...get it? Ok, that was corney, but I am so happy to have that behind me. After waiting two year for the surgery it was crazy to not have my final approval until two days before leaving for it.

Good for you!!! I'm so glad things are working out for you. Good luck with your surgery; I'm looking forward to reading your update.

BTW, regarding your signature, all 3 of my kids inherited my scoli too. :(

leahdragonfly
06-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Hi Teresa,

I am so glad to hear that you got the stress test and cardiology consult so quick, and what great news that all is well with your heart. It seems like everyone has some sort of scary little snag in the run-up to surgery. That's great that that's behind you!

Best of luck with your travels and surgery. I will look forward to hearing how your recovery is going. You are in such great hands with Lenke! My daughter just had a very successful and smooth VBS surgery with Dr Luhmann in St Louis 2 weeks ago. I now need a long fusion, wish I could have it with Lenke but I just can't bear the thought of travelling that far again for surgery.

Good luck, our thoughts will be with you.

csc
06-03-2010, 08:41 AM
I failed my stress test. It was performed the same week as my father dies. I went on to have a angiogram a week before surgery. Cardiologist gave the okay. Turned out that I have part of my heart that doesn't pump right. Might have always been that way.
Just another stressor before surgery! Good luck and you'll be in my prayers.