More pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More pain

I will be 4 weeks out from my surgery on June 1. I am in so much more pain last night and today than I have been. What is going on? of course, it is a holiday weekend and I cannot get in touch with my surgeon. I came home from the hospital/rehab on May 20 and was doing great and now the last couple of days all I can do is sleep and now I am in so much pain.

ANy ideas?

Melissa

Hi Melissa, so soryy to hear you are in pain. Is the pain, pain that you were feeling post-op - only it got worse, or is it a new pain. There is got to be someone you can touch base with. I can't believe they didn't give you a number to call in case of things like this, especially since you are only 4 weeks post-op. My suggestion would be to keep up with the pain meds (take them strictly on time) and rest as much as you can. I sure hope someone can help you real soon with that pain. Sorry i couldn't be much help. Take care.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Melissa,

So sorry to hear this news. I/m glad you wrote in, but I can almost feel through the monitor how much effort it took you.

Echoing Val, wondering what kind of pain it is, and where? Whether it's new or recap of old. When and under what circumstances it came on. Can't believe there's no one to call. It's not even the holiday yet.

Try NOT TO PANIC! Pain gives us all kinds of messages, of urgency and emergency but one thing we learn from back pain is that since the nerve centers are all being handled and worked near, we can feel godawful pain which is NOT dangerous.

Try to separate yourself from the pain as much as possible. There's a meditation technique called "mindfulness" which seems to have changed my son's life. I'm definitely going to work on it too. I read a book where a man man dying of ALS, uses this technique - resolving (and succeeding) in separating himself from his pain, as bad as it gets.

Somehow, that helps so we're kind or on-lookers at the agony our bodies feel, while our essential selves are protected and even calm. As you relax (below) try to take inventory of your body, part by part, what feels what. You're looking at it. The notes may help later too, reporting to a physician.

Panic is the fuel that amplifies pain. Try to tell yourself "it's just pain. It's probably not an emergency, and I'll get through this." And a phrase I taught both my kids used to help them:

"The fear is real but the danger is not". In this case it's fear coming from pain. If you can self talk yourself out of letting your fear take over, you will maintain some control not only over yourself but the level of pain. And after all, one of the fears that come with pain, is not only WHY but HOW LONG, HOW MUCH? All kinds of what-ifs.

Try to talk yourself down from those fears, interpreting the pain as benign ("I don't KNOW this means anything serious, except that it hurts!"). This is much what people with panic disorders are urged to do. Avoid catastrophizing! Let it "just" be pain, but not an emergency generating it's own crisis response (and more pain).

It probably is nothing more serious than pain itself. So much settling going on. A nerve gets in the way, and all our inner fire alarms go off as it sends signals all over the place. Make yourself breathe slowly and deeply exhaling through your nose, counting slowly backwards from ten - then higher. As your fear ebbs your pain will stabilize and go down. You'll regain control (with the help of meds) and meanwhile, keep trying to get through or have someone try for you. Hope you're with someone. Call the crisis line in your town if not. It WILL END! Stay in touch.
      Last edited by Back-out; 05-29-2010, 01:21 PM.
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Hi Melissa...

It's not uncommon for people to have a lot more pain at a few different recovery times. I think it's often just a matter of being more active or reducing pain medication. If you back off a bit and feel better tomorrow, then you'll know what it is. If you stay in bed today, and feel worse tomorrow, you might want to call your surgeon. (I'm sure s/he has someone on call.)

Hang in there. It will get better.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I have not reduced my pain meds. My surgeon told me not to play with them until I see him June 9 . I really do not think that I have been more active. I have taken it easy today. The pain is different than other post op pain that I have had. If I do not feel better tomorrow , should I call my surgeon's office?

Melissa

Comment

Hi...

That's hard to say, since none of us can know what you're feelling. If the pain doesn't start to subside with inactivity, it probably wouldn't hurt to call.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi melissa
              so sorry to hear about the pain...it must be frightening, after you were doing better! everybody on forum who has the surgery sounds like their pain goes up and down, and that recovery is a crooked line, not a straight one...i hope that is all you are going through, just a but of temporary pain increase as your body tries to heal...i hope it reverses soon!

just my opinion, but i think you should put in a call..it's a holiday wkend, but maybe he'll get back to you by monday...

hope you feel better really soon...
              jess

Comment

Melissa this is just off the wall checking, but to reduce the possibility that you're suffering from infection or internal bleeding (and have more information to provide if you call).

Have you taken your temperature? Elevation is undesirable, of course.
                What about dizziness, the color of: your nail beds, gums, eye rims (below the whites). Are any unusally pale? How is your pulse? Hopefully, not unusually fast. If you have a BP monitor, it would be good to check it.

Linda knows best, but if it were me, I'd call the physician or at least, the on-call.

(Why not, someone? Anyone??)

I'll probably be a very unpopular surgical patient (if I live to make the decision ), but "better safe than sorry" is one of my mottos. Maybe physicians (like a few of my relatives) would rather have me "sorry" - in effect - but be able to say later, "But you SHOULD have called!" But how many post-surgical patients does he have, anyhow - ones as recently discharged as you?

After January hand surgery I had a STRONG unusual pain immediately after surgery (I'd had it before on the opposite hand). After being blown off when I finally called, I didn't call later even when I ran a low fever on and off. I was criticized for NOT calling, when I reported that (much) later. (I was sure it was the kind of fever that would vanish as soon as I walked in the door).

The P.A. told me on my single call, that the pain MUST "be referred" (i.e. insignificant) as they hadn't "done" anything where I described. But when the cast was removed, it turned out that the pin holding my reconstructed thumb joint together, had come out the back of my hand - where I complained of severe pain. Not "done anything there"!?

Anyhow, I sincerely doubt your problem has any danger attached to it , Melissa, simply because a) most often pain is benign b) you have so many reasons at this point, to feel pain. Probably anxiety is playing a major role (hope you read my earlier post, as at the very least, you could be calmer in evaluating how you feel), but...but. Not call? Aren't there ALWAYS on-call point people for physicianss - especially surgeons, whose patients may have such specialized conditions they're almost impossible to evaluate outside the practice?

When such things happened to my kids (I was much braver calling about them), I was always swayed by thinking how much LESS the doctor would like to be woken up in the middle of the night if things got worse then. And in this case, tomorrow is even more of a holiday than today (and Monday, all the more so).

So if you're going to call, I'd think better sooner than later.
                But are you prepared to describe your pain, somehow? It would be better if you could be more precise, however hard that is. Even as to whether certain movements or pressure points, elicit the pain more than others.

Maybe even verbally, he or a rep can ask you screening questions to rule out the rare possible dangerous cause for your pain.
                Otherwise, with nothing to go on, he's almost forced to to tell you to forget it, or meet you at the ER (or at least, tell you to be examined there - but chances are the ER doc would want to get in touch with him anyhow). That WOULD be a toughie.

Still wondering whether you're alone. These things can prey on us so much more if we are, and our anxiety mounts...The pain itself can multiply because of fear.

Wishing you the very best outcome, and for your clearest thinking decision now.
                Last edited by Back-out; 05-29-2010, 05:58 PM.
                Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

No I not alone. I am home with my husband and my 2 teenage kids. The pain just feels different.I really don't know how to describe it. I have not had this kind of pain since I had the surgery. If I do not feel any better tomorrow, I am going to call my surgeon's office

Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa, is the pain easing at all. Can i just ask? Is it back pain, leg pain?
                    Vali
                    44 years young! now 45
                    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                    Post -op - 5 degrees
                    T11 - S1 Posterior
                    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Melissa, If it were me, I would definitely call the surgeon's office as soon as you can. If anyone is on call, I would call today. If you've done nothing different, I would think you would want to rule out anything more serious. Hope you're feeling better. Joy

Comment

The pain starts in the middle of my spine and then goes down my left leg . This never happened before since i have had my surgery

I have done nothing yesterday nor today

Do you think it is something to call about?

Melissa
                        Last edited by mbeckoff; 05-30-2010, 11:35 AM. Reason: wrong words

Comment

melissa, does it feel like a sciatica? does it feel like nerves, electric impulse down your leg..or something else..?

hope you get some relief soon...suggest you call...

jess

Comment

Melissa,
                            Your pain sounds like sciatica to me. It could be swelling from the surgery that is putting pressure on some nerve roots and will probably resolve itself over time. However, if I were you, I would call the Doctor. I am sure there is someone on call and it will give you peace of mind.

Hey Melissa, we bought a piece of land in New Bern, NC this past week and will build a house on it very soon. I can't wait to get away from the long cold winters in the Northeast.

Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I think that I will call but I do believe that It is sounding like sciatica .

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                              X