Items to Pack for Hospital Stay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Items to Pack for Hospital Stay

I am starting to pack for the hospital and was wondering what I should pack. I was thinking that those who recently had surgery could help me. I just bought chapstick as I have read from previous posts that your lips get very chapped.

Also, I was wondering, will I be able to wear a bra soon after the surgery? I am getting fused from T4-L3. I'm thinking a bra will be uncomfortable for awhile after the surgery because it will rub up against the incision. What should I wear besides a bra? I'm sure I'll have people visit me afterwards and was wondering what I could wear so I don't look so droopy! Don't think I could get away with wearing nothing!

Thanks for your input!

JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Far out, but there ARE stick on demi bras, two pieces. Usually they're reserved for women wearing unusually low cut gowns which normal bras can't accommodate! Google should be able to guide you to anything.

I have a front fastening bra - almost seamless (none in back). I'm wearing it out between hand surgery (try fastening a bra with one hand!) and other issues.

Knit sports bras, (front zipping or hooking, also seamless in back) can be very comfortable and with a good mix of spandex can give good support, though a bit "flattening".

It may well be that for a while anything that even brushes your incision site is intolerable. I wouldn't know. This is all just a run down of products I know exist!

Best of luck!
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Hi Jen. My surgery is also June 8th, with Dr. Lonner, and I was thinking of posting this same question, but you beat me to the punch! My fusion will be T2 to L4, and I'm wondering if I should bring anything other than a robe and slippers to wear in the hospital. I'm sure you need more for rehab. Joy

Comment

Hi Jen...

You can find a list of handy things here:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hospital preps

Hi, When my daughters were in I brought in a CDplayer/IPOD with relaxation music for the nights. I tried to do REIKI but they didn't want it. I think it works really well. I brought sleeping masks which the girls still use at home. Lotion for feet massages and perfume mist to freshen up the hospital room. A blanket or fun pillow would work as well. DVD or VHS that you like. The hospitals have some but they weren't the girls favorites. But you don't have to do this. After each of the other surgeries we brought less and less except for the DVD.

The girls did not wear bras for awhile. Cammies and tank tops. And when you do start wearing them, take them off at night! one daughte ran into a painful experience with straps on the incision. I will talk to them and see if I am right about this and if they have any other suggestions. Good Luck! Mary

Comment

Originally posted by JenM View Post
            I am starting to pack for the hospital and was wondering what I should pack. I was thinking that those who recently had surgery could help me. I just bought chapstick as I have read from previous posts that your lips get very chapped.

Also, I was wondering, will I be able to wear a bra soon after the surgery? I am getting fused from T4-L3. I'm thinking a bra will be uncomfortable for awhile after the surgery because it will rub up against the incision. What should I wear besides a bra? I'm sure I'll have people visit me afterwards and was wondering what I could wear so I don't look so droopy! Don't think I could get away with wearing nothing!

Thanks for your input!

JenM
            Hi Jen,
            I didn't wear a bra full time until I went back to work at 7 months. Before that (and even sometimes after if I was having spasms), I would wear a cami with shelf bra built in.

I emailed you back, call me any time you want for last minute pep talk/advice.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Went online last night and ordered 9 tank tops with shelf bras I can wear to like December here in FL, all for a total of $111. Victoria Secret online has 3 for 30 tanks and camis. If you order $100 you get free shipping so I also ordered 3 nicer ones for $15 to wear if I go somewhere a little dressier.
              Janet
              36 year young cardiac RN
              old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
              new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
              Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
              Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
              and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Thank you so much for that information, Janet!!! I was wondering where I could find a tank with a built in bra. I'm will order from there too. I'm just not sure about the size since I'm hoping the rib "humps" will go away on my back! Guess I'll order a size smaller than what I usually wear. Thanks so much!!

Jen

Comment

I ordered my usual size maybe even bigger so they are nice and comfy and not too tight. Although, it feels better to be prepared then buy stuff later and it's fun to pick out all of the colors. Retail therapy .
                  Janet
                  36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Hi Janet-

I just found the 3 for $30 bra tops online at VS. Did you buy level 1, 2 or 3? The ones I like are level 1, just not sure if it will be enough support.

Comment

I think they are level 1. I got 3 cami's and 3 tanks.
                      36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Jen
                        Through the years I've learned that whenever you "pack" for an event, you always forget something. I now expect it, and do not let it bother me anymore. I give up! LOL

I went down with a change of clothes, and a cell phone. The hospital was not responsible for theft and didn’t want be bringing pricy items down.

If you can have someone bring the items you need later after you are up, that usually works out pretty good....

Try not to worry too much, its not worth it. You will be in good hands...
                        Have a great weekend!
                        Ed

I do get upset if I forget the A1 sauce. At the end of last summer, I had about 6 bottles in my fridge! My neighbor pointed that out to me.
                        Oh well.
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I packed what I thought would be necessary, and I never opened it once. Go figure.

Shari

Comment

I packed a bra for the drive home, which seems funny now. I didn't wear a bra for 3 months and the funny thing is, you don't care what you look like. I guess if you're big in the bust, it would be more of a problem.

I took pjs because I wanted to be out of that "gown" asap. Shampoo, toothbrush and paste, a brush, with some undies, trackie dacks and top and joggers for coming home. And a dressing gown for walking the halls.
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Ditto on the above - plus - dont forget the facial moisturiser and sanitary wear for the ladies!
                              Vali
                              44 years young! now 45
                              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                              Post -op - 5 degrees
                              T11 - S1 Posterior
                              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
                              X