Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knee pain with running

Hey all. First time post here.

I had my fusion over nine years ago and, as my name suggests, I have been very active since. I was always an active child and adolescent, but now with both the fusion and exercise, strain is put on new places in my body (i.e. my knees).

My theory: The back acts as a natural shock absorber during activities such as running, and when it is fused the natural shock absorbing ability is greatly diminished. Therefore, the shock is transferred to other parts of the body such as the hips, knees, and ankles (mostly the knees for me).

In my ripe old age of 23, I am having some joint pain in my knees after a run. It isn't after every single run but probably 50%.

Question to everyone: Have you had similar pain in your lower joints after your fusion and after you've been active for awhile?

ActiveFusion
    23 y/o male
    Idiopathic Scoliosis
    T2-L4 Fusion 12/29/2000
    Dr. Ensor Transfeld

Looking forward to answers to your query. I had thought "Posts" (post surgicals) weren't supposed to ever again exercise so we were shocking our body, spine in particular.

Boy, do I hope I'm just wildly ignorant!

Of course, I'm closer to three times your age than two and that might make a difference. OTOH I used to love running (though it hurts my back too much now. Lately, I've been going back to trying some light jogs on my fine but sadly neglected treadmill and it still leaves my back aching).

It would be great to find I can run again even after THE surgery, as I've been wondering how to ward off osteoporosis (what there is left to ward, that is. ) Weight bearing exercise seems to be key. Even before my lumbar spine went to pot, I found running easier on my spine than walking. Since I need a walker for even a few blocks now due to disk compression (and can't stand without support either), it would be LOVELY if I could return to running.

I used to love stair stepper machines too! Wow, if it turns out I can do this stuff again, maybe I can avoid having my hair turn green at the pool. Takes so much time out of my day too, with all that extra showering, hair drying and all. I'd love to get cardio fit again. My resting pulse used to be 40! Those were the days...

Hope you're not just reflecting Ensor's special permissions. (LOVE your surgeon's name! ). Do I have this right? You had your fusion when you were only thirteen? A guy?? Had you finished growing then?

Sorry to ramble on OT. The thought of running is just so agreeable even if I'm afraid I'm not REALLY included in generalizations applying to you. (Maybe if I got very lightweight again it would help too) .

(Not even alluding to having knee problems I'm afraid I'm double disqualified from anything bouncy...Like the saying goes, "on the Internet no one knows you're a dog! )

Welcome aboard, Active! Having you around will help the balance with fogies like me. Hope you get useful answers (and in the process I hear more about the "other side" of scoli surgery!)
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Post surgery, my knees gave me hell with all the squatting I was doing. At nearly 3 months I bought a grabber and two weeks later, my knees stopped hurting and haven't hurt since. They must have got used to their new added load. The grabber's up for grabs!

At my 12 month appt. my surgeon said, "No running".
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
        Post surgery, my knees gave me hell with all the squatting I was doing. At nearly 3 months I bought a grabber and two weeks later, my knees stopped hurting and haven't hurt since. They must have got used to their new added load. The grabber's up for grabs!
        How much do grabbers go for?

At my 12 month appt. my surgeon said, "No running".
        Never again, ever - Or just right then? (Ever optimistic )
        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Hi Amanda. My surgeon said because I no longer have any cushioning in my spine, running places a lot more wear and tear on the unfused vertebra above my fusion. That was enough to scare me into never running again.

I paid about $40 for my grabber. Since then I found I could have picked one up half that price at our local hardware warehouse (Bunnings, in case you have them there.)
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I understood running for me at least to be ever but maybe since I'm much older than you! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
            X