Upcoming Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Surgery

Hello all, I got "medically cleared" for surgery today, looks like all is good. Next, June 2 pre-op appointment with surgeon for bending x-rays and pre admission visit to hospital. Then in 16 days surgery!!! Getting so excited and nervous all at the same time.
    Janet
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

'ray, Janet!

Guts to spare!!!

In my thoughts and prayers,

Amanda
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I'm right behind you...my pre-op appointment with bending xrays is June 4 and my surgery date is June 17.
      I know you posted back on a thread of mine, but what is your plan for returning to work?

Comment

How evciting, Jenny!! It's like hearing someone's "expecting" - a new back . Why do I have these reservations I'm unable to overcome? Am I superstitious or intuitive about myself...?

How I'd love to just wake up and - KNOW! Perhaps the time pressure I'm under makes it harder to decide...

You guys are just about to "deliver" at the same time! Best of the best.

Amanda
        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Good luck! I have a seven-year-old boy, too. I will be thinking of you and cheering for your recovery. Please let us know how it goes.

Evelyn
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Well done Janet - looking forward to hearing about your pre-op on June 2nd, and then it will be great once you've had surgery. You're in my thoughts!
            Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
            Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
            Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
            Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Thanks everyone, Jenny I am hoping to return to work in 3 months. I am concerned about the lifting though. I am keeping a open mind and what happens will happen. I know I can, although do not necessarily want do, do case management if need be. For me I just know that it is time to do it after throwing it around for almost 20 years because, yes it is very scary. I want to do it while I am "younger" to hopefully get a better correction and heal faster hopefully. That is why I am doing it now rather than waiting. Good Luck to all of you.
              Janet
              36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Dear Janet,

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery. I will look forward to reading your posts as you recover.

I am looking ahead at my surgery (T10-pelvis, considering October) and really hoping I can go back to work at 3 months also. I work in the cath lab, but my boss has already told me I can just come and sit and run the computers, which is wonderful. I will not have to wear lead, stand, transfer patients, lift, push beds, etc. But I do wonder about stamina (and comfort) in being able to work a full day after 3 months. I am sure I will be ready to look at a new set of walls after 3 months, since it will be winter time!

It is hard to plan financially without knowing when I will be able to return to work.
                Gayle, age 50
                Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

good luck with your surgery janet you will not regret have scoliosis surgery i don't regret have scoliosis surgery done
                  Kara
                  Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                  Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                  T4-L2
                  Before 50T
                  After 20T

Comment

You are lucky Gayle to have such a understanding boss. I do not know is I can return till I can fullfill my duties completely. I am mainly concerned with transferring patients and pulling sheaths. I hope to work on my stamina in the months prior to returning as I do work 12 hour days . I do think everyone will be OK with me pushing pt off strechers instead of pulling, a little easier, ya know.
                    Lynette- since you went to UCH I was wondering how the visitatation policy is and if they mind if your kids come to visit.
                    Janet
                    36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Janet - I had no problems with people visiting me - usually my family and friends visited me during the day/early evening. My kids came to see me a few times, so there was no problem there
                      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

hey Janet
                        i wish you the best surgical procedure and an uneventful smooth recovery...

i believe Joyful on this forum is having surgery around June 7th in NYC....and am sure there are other June surgery people...maybe it would help to share stories with them...when you are up to posting on forum...

i admire your decision and courage, as i do all the "about to have surgery" folks...i keep people on forum in my thoughts and prayers for the best outcomes and freedom from pain after healing! wish i could bring myself to make a decision and stick to it...i make lots of surgery decisions each week, but change my mind just as much!

good luck in all that is coming up...please know that lots of folks here are pulling for your success!

jess

Comment

Janet,
                          We'll all be thinking of you and wishing you a wonderful outcome.
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                          X