2nd night in hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd night in hospital

This is the most painful thing ever. The drip which I administer morphine and trepador to myself isn't helping. I can't stopcrying and having panick attacks which only make it worse. Anyone got any suggestions I can ask my doc about? I have so much pressure a d pain where I was fused. It feels like I have a heavy brick in my spine.
    I'm really struggling. Please help
    Kellie 25yrs
    Melbourne, Aus
    Diagnosed 1998- brace for 3 years
    2006 curves showed progression
    Before surgery T45* L43*
    25/5/10 posterior fusion T4-T11
    Post surgery T<20* L27*
    Fingers crossed for more improvement on lumbar before 12 months!

kassie, you are only 36 hours out from surgery and sometimes it takes a few days to get the meds right. But make sure the staff know you're in this pain and they will contact your surgeon and arrange extra/different pain control. I feel for you. I'm also amazed that you are up to posting messages right now.

Again, just ensure your nurse knows about your pain, your meds can be jiggled around to better suit. I hope it settles soon. *Gentle hugs*
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Dear Kassie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your misery! Most people later report they were in so much pain at your stage of recovery they don't even remember that period. Here you are, though, writing on your laptop and sending out an S.O.S!

It sounds like you've a very determined young lady, pain and all.
      Frankly, I wish you could get something that would virtually knock you out. Your mind and body have gotten such a blow, you shouldn't really be as aware as you are.

Fergawdsake I hope they get the kinks out of your pain med delivery system ASAP! I echo the word to be sure the nurses are aware of how you feel - anyone and everyone who has anything to do with your care! Stay in touch - hopefully, once you're better and don't FEEL as much as you do. It's experiences like yours that remind me how grateful we all must be for advances in anesthesia. Surgeries like ours would be completely unthinkable, otherwise.

Then too, hope very much you are not alone going through all this! Stay in touch as much as you want to, if so. You have many comrades here.
      It WILL get better - much better. You should be out cold, dammit!

I care,
      Amanda
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Kassie--
        I agree with what has already been said. I can't remember the name of what I was on first but it was doing little or nothing. After a couple days my husband insisted they try something else. What worked for me was morphine. Those first few days are tough but it sounds like you need an alternative. Hang in there. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Yes, for me, when the orals didn't do the job, they injected morphine. It worked within minutes and took away all the pain. For 5-6 hours. Might be worth asking for?

Comment

When I had my surgery on May 4, what ever they gave me, I do not remember anything for the first 10 days after surgery

Melissa

Comment

This is absolutely going to get better, soon. I know that I had a lot of pain in the hospital for the first few days, and I know that I cried when my meds ran out. I felt like my spine was a big, numb, rod - like a broomstick - and I was afraid to move. I felt very sorry for myself, and very panicky and nervous. But it passed - and you know what? Now I can hardly remember it at all. It usually takes a couple of days for them to get the meds just right. Tell them how you're feeling, what's working and not working, and be very honest with them about what level your pain is.

This is the worst part - it's going to get better.

Comment

A bit better now

I must be too tolerant to pan meds. I'm writing on my iPhone. I did takeages last time tryi g to edit but I'm not worrying now. My pain is always there. When I woke from surgery it was 10 since then been up and down to bout a four nw. I ve been on morphine, panadol, trepador or something... I've been getting up unassisted & my 3 rd walk was also unassstd. My sisters been hanging out all day yest & today . She s the best nurse. She has agree to come care for me after hos. So I'm tryng to get out Sunday . Iwas so bloated today I asked for enema which only heped a littl the paint tummy & ribs sort of helps take pain from back away. Just got oxycontin tablet so will see how I go. Thanks everyone for ur support I'll let u know what happens
                Kellie 25yrs
                Melbourne, Aus
                Before surgery T45* L43*
                Post surgery T<20* L27*

Comment

Hope you can get rid of that painful constipation - I remember how painful that was. I'm glad your sister is able to take care of you - that's great, and I'm glad the pain seems to have dropped somewhat for you. I wish you all the best, and I'm sure you'll feel much better when you're back home in your own bed. Gentle hugs to you - and I hope you have a speedy recovery.
                  Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                  Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                  Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                  Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Sounds like you're doing great for four days post-surgery!

Comment

I am doing great

I can't believe how much has happened since Monday. I basically remember everything. The pain, the struggle and then the little triamphes which pulled me through. I think the crappy nurses on wed made me so
                      determined to get out of here that I'm completely ready to go home, nearly. My surgeon is so impressed he said I could go tomorow if I want but the trouble I'm having with bloating and reflux is telling me just to wait one more day. It was the little things like nurses barging in to check
                      my obs and waking me up, so startled inks jump right outbid my skin, nearly and the pain that caused... Unimaginable. Then they'd leave my door wide open with light pouring in and noise from every where keeping me awake. Then they told me I was suppose to lie flat, which would put
                      so much pressure on my spine. My surgeon quickly corrected them
                      and said I could raise the head or foot of bed and put pillows wherever as long as I was comfortable. Which was such a relief. I felt like I was becoming a pain to the nurses but I wad trying so hard to be grateful and thankful even though I was in so much pain. After a talk with my awesome physio about the problems I'd been having, I have only had great nurses since.

I still have a long way to go but sharing this experience has helpede get through it and work harder to get where I want to be. Home sweet home here I come...
                      Kellie 25yrs
                      Melbourne, Aus
                      Before surgery T45* L43*
                      Post surgery T<20* L27*

Comment

I wonder why some surgeons send their patients home in a matter of days but others , like mine, have them in the hospital/then rehab, for over 2 1/2 weeks.

Melissa

Comment

Kelly,
                          First, congrats on what sounds like a successful surgery. Thanks for sharing at what was such a painful time for you, and I'm so glad you were able to talk to your surgeon about the nursing situation and he responded! Sounds like you have a great doc.. I'm so glad to hear that you were able to reach out and get the help you needed. Thanks too for the tip about raising your feet/head for comfort.
                          Debra
                          Age 45
                          Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                          Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                          Fused T4-T12
                          Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                          Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Going home...

I am going home today! Hooray.. I guess everyone is different in healing and even though at day two I thought my life was over, here I am now at day 5 packing to go he. I am still hurting but the oral painkillers I am on seem to be working well for me now. I slept really well last night and even though I get tired after walking around for ten minutes or having a shower and washing my hair- un assisted. I don't see how staying in hospital will make any difference to being at home. The biggest obstical today will be getting home. It is a long drive. Usually, 1&1/2 hrs but we will take it slow with a few breaks and I have a lot of pillows ready try and get some comfort.

The doc is really happy with me, he came this morning and I was out of bed sitting at my table having breaky. He took my tape/bandages off my back and I can't believe how neat the scar is. I wasn't going to look but in the end I couldn't resist. The nurse came to clean and redessed it and now I'm having a little break& writing this, then I just have to wait for my boyfriend to finish work! This forum has been so helpful in my recovery I believe. Just by sharing my experiences helps me to grasp what's happening and find ways to deal with problems but also inspires me to keep working hard when I do have success. My family and friends have been great too. So many visitors, msgs an phone calls and flowers too...
                            Have a wonderful day everyone I am!
                            Kellie 25yrs
                            Melbourne, Aus
                            Before surgery T45* L43*
                            Post surgery T<20* L27*

Comment

That's fantastic news! I hope you continue to have a very smooth, uncomplicated and successful recovery. Best wishes.
                              Vali
                              44 years young! now 45
                              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                              Post -op - 5 degrees
                              T11 - S1 Posterior
                              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
                              X