PDA

View Full Version : My Leg

LynetteG
05-25-2010, 08:07 AM
I have a question for all of you. I'm officially off the narcotics as of yesterday so of course feeling a little more pain, diarrhea, fatigue, etc. My leg no longer hurts sitting or standing, but walking is very very difficult still. Do you think I should just hang in there and hope it gets better with time? Or do you suggest I get a shot now to perhaps help - don't know if that will help or not with walking? Any suggestions?

Vali
05-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi Lynette, you are still in the early days of recovery. I think its great that you came off pain meds, but, you may still need something to see you through the pain barrier, so that you could probably walk a little more. I think probably something like paracetamol 1/2 hour before you head off for your walk should be ok. Does it feel like your muscles are shrinking? Are you able to describe your pain? What were you thinking of getting a shot of? Don't try to push yourself too soon Lynette. I think we would all like to fast forward our recovery - but its not realistic. Take it easy and take care.

ShariMSU
05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Lynette - I am so proud of you, already off pain meds! I am envious. I have cut mine in half since I left the hospital the first time. My goal is over the next 3-4 weeks to wean off completely.
How did you do your weaning? I am thinking of increasing hours in between. I am now at 5 hours and 1/2 a pain pill and 1/2 a tylenol. I am going to keep adding an hour every couple of days. With my incision being opened up last week I can't do it too soon. Nurse said don't go off to soon as I won't move around as easily and moving around is really important right now.
You sound like you are doing so well. Especially caring for your sons. I can't even imagine that. It's enough to take care of me.
Have a great day!

foofer
05-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Lynette,

You sound like you are very goal-oriented. Maybe your body has a slightly different goal. As long as you can get in your walks and get some sleep at night- especially now that you have critter control- but I think Vali has a good point.

I haven't had back surgery but had other surgeries- I remember recovery as a zig-zag line, not a nice straight shot.

Really been rewarding to watch your upward progression, Lynette.

LindaRacine
05-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Lynette...

Are you on neurontin?

--Linda

rich1752
05-25-2010, 12:22 PM
My doctor prescribed neurontin for me. I began having nerve pain on left leg (side of my anterior incesion). I also have areas on left leg that have no feeling. Doctor said that it may never come back, but prescribed neurontin for the pain. You are off pain meds pretty early. I am 6 months post op and sometimes need some pain meds for the pain. I take them maybe once a week.

rich

sheri66
05-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Had my 9 month xrays.Dr. Pashman said everything looks good.I still take pain pills vicodin 5\500 1 every 6 hrs.I wont start trying to stop until I'm healed, I think that is why I am doing so well.I am not into pain.

LynetteG
05-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Linda - No - I tried Neurontin and it did nothing.

A friend of mine who was an anaesthesiologist and OR nurse, told me she thinks I was placed incorrectly on the pads after anaesthesia and prior to surgery - which sounds absolutely right as I had red marks on both my thighs, and across my chest. My chest still feels bruised, and now I have femoral nerve damage. I am unable to walk - which is terribly upsetting for me as I can't exercise at all. Now I'm panicking and crying because I'm so afraid of this becoming permanent, I don't want to end up a cripple for the rest of my life.

Linda - any ideas on this? I'm so scared right now.

LynetteG
05-25-2010, 02:57 PM
By the way my doctor said I should get a shot which he thinks will relieve some pain in the leg and then help diagnose the problem. I'm trying right now to get hold of the neurologist to give me a shot.

jrnyc
05-25-2010, 03:23 PM
dear lynette
i am so sorry to hear of the serious problems you are encountering...

may i ask why you want off the pain meds now?...are you sure you couldnt stay on at least til they figure out some way to help you?...i thought some nerves can regenerate...

hope you reach the neurologist...call it an emergency, because i can see how this is wearing you down physically, emotionally, and even hurts the spirit!...pain can be soul sucking when it is relentless and just wont quit, at least that is my opinion!
you need a break to get out from under for a while!

i take pain meds and havent had surgery...yet..though my surgeon is waiting for my call! i was a drug and alcohol counselor in NYC (2nd job at nite and wkends) and worked in both residential and outpatient...i am well aware of what meds can do, both good and bad! i have quit some pain meds cold, with no ill effects, as i am still on hydrocodone...i dont like most pain meds, but know i need the hydrocodone...i do not believe i am addicted...the days i go off, i have no symptoms of withdrawal, just increased pain...been off for up to 2 weeks at a time..

when i was so sick in a wheelchair with Lyme, the joke used to be (support group folks) "give me the pain meds now,. i'll worry about addiction later!" :rolleyes: it was just a joke, as we were so sick we just tried to lighten up now and then(Lyme gets in the brain and the body)....but it was a little bit true!

have you discussed being off meds with the surgeon and your other doctors while you are still in such extreme pain?

i keep you in my thoughts and prayers til you are feeling better...

jess

rich1752
05-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Jess, after surgery doctor prescribed percocet, oxycodone and norco. I thought I could quit when I wanted to, but when I quit, it took me 3 days. It was bad. If you remember, I needed surgery to S1, but convinced my doctor to go to L5. I already started having pain again in my lower back. I don't want an additional surgery so soon. I have me next appt. on June 15 and doctor will see if my disc at L5 is bad. I started taking some pain meds, but will only take them when it gets real bad, because of the cold turkey I went through.

maybe I should have listened to my doctor about going to S1

rich

LynetteG
05-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Jess - the meds weren't helping my leg pain anyway, they just made me feel dull and sick. Thanks for your kind words though :)

jsully
05-25-2010, 04:35 PM
I think I would try the shot, what harm can it do? If anything it will help. I have had shots before. They do numb the area first. It's not so bad.

jrnyc
05-25-2010, 04:36 PM
hey rich...so sorry to hear that you are having trouble with lower back now! dont blame you for not wanting to go under knife again so soon! please dont second guess yourself...no one can blame you for not wanting to go lower...and if you have to have more, you will, eventually.....maybe you can get shots while waiting for things to heal? would your surgeon agree to pain doctor taking a look after surgeon looks?

hi lynette...wow...didnt realize the pain meds weren't helping the leg pain..i see why you wouldnt want to take them, then....as far as nerve meds...i personally never got any help from neurontin, but was on a low dose...i've heard folks say they had to be on alot for it to do some good...i hope the doctors can come up with something that will help you...

jess

Back-out
05-25-2010, 05:57 PM
I was wondering what had happened to the serious leg pain you complained of soon after surgery. IFAIK it was better was for a while, no?

DO NOT EVEN THINK OF IT"S BEING PERMANENT! I realize I am the "champeen worry wart", but you have no basis for this worry, much less to jump to this conclusion. It's your panic speaking, not your reason. I.e., your fear is not "reality-based"

Have they given you a dx for the leg pain yet? Did you have leg pain before the surgery?

Specific pain like you're describing, sounds like it must be the path of a neurome. Someone recently posted a map of the nerve roots. We are all trained to think of pain as indicating danger, but sometimes it's just something misfiring or pinched. Have you seen a neurologist about it?

You haven't yet indicated what the "shot" would be made up of (hard for even a doc to arrive at an opinion without knowing) but FWIW my thoughts are that as long as you have a dx, there is NO reason not to block this agonizing pain with an injection of something suitable, until it can be relieved at source.

For a specific pain like you are describing (poor, dear Lynette!), you owe it to yourself and your children to relieve it AS LONG AS YOU KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING IT! (Otherwise, blocking the sensation makes it impossible to "tease out" the source! )

Modern pain research (one of the fields where the most advances have been made in recent decades), show it's indispensable to stop pain before the anxiety that accompanies it, amplifies the pain - as it does, when it continues unabated. It leads to just the kind of panic you're describing! I favor something, to break the cycle of pain which sounds to be taking you over, multiplied by its being - apparently - untouchable and continuous. Often pain is worst (personal experience) less from the absolute level than from it's being constant.

And no, it's not apt to be remediated by a systemic block like the oral narcotics you were taking which just put you in a fog where function (and care giving, including judgment) are impaired.

I assume you have gone to a physiatrist? (MD orthopod specializing in pain management instead of surgical approaches). They are expert in the most modern modalities of pain management. There's NO REASON FOR YOU TO CONTINUE IN AGONY LIKE THIS!!! It sounds as there are many techniques you haven't even begun to explore.

It's ridiculously easy to "just say" it (but it really is important - specifically from the approach of pain relief itself) but - DON'T PANIC! really matters. Yet, it's virtually impossible to avoid panicking if the pain is in the driver's seat. It doesn't have to be!

If you must, justify it for your children's sake instead of your own (they sense when you're in pain, Lynette, and it scares them) - WORK ON THIS PROBLEM and solve it. This means dx and rx - ie., diagnosis and treatment. There is no reason to endure pain, unless a systemic approach will impair your functioning. That doesn't sound to be the remedy or risk here at all.

So don't just "tough it out "!

Feeling for you,

Amanda

foofer
05-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Great post, Amanda...

I'm learning a lot from your posts in the short time you've been around here. What a smart lady you are...

Confusedmom
05-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Getting off of narcotics and muscle relaxants can actually MAKE you panic. It's a kind of withdrawal -- another reason to take it slow if possible. Sending you best wishes!

Evelyn

LynetteG
05-26-2010, 01:03 AM
Thanks for all of your support. Spent half an hour on phone yesterday trying to get an appointment with neurologist. The nurse wanted me to drive all the way to Tampa just for a follow-up, and then drive all the way there again on another day for the shot. I explained how difficult that is while I'm a single mom etc and couldn't they do everything all at once? She never called me back so now I have to try this whole rigmarole again in the morning. Last time I went I had to wait almost two hours for the neurologist to come into the room where I had been put by his nurse.

I'm feeling really low in myself lately and hate feeling this way. I think I've reached menopause also as I've been suffering with peri-menopause for the last 7 years, and have had no period since surgery.

It feels like everything is crashing round me - worried about my leg, worried about the litigation I'm dealing with my ex - etc etc etc

Sorry for venting! Hopefully I'll feel happier next time.

jrnyc
05-26-2010, 06:31 AM
hey Lynette
please dont apologize...you have every right to vent....and i'm not going to tell you any hokey phrases, like "darkest before the dawn"...i am going to say that you will find a way to get through this, but since you've been whalloped with surgery, litigation with your ex, kids to worry about and care for, and all this incredible pain, of course you feel overwhelmed! so would anyone else!!

i will tell you that menopause is easier with bio-identical hormones, which i've been on for about 5 years...they've saved my life! menopause was very tough for me, and i started it when i was 45 yrs old...i dont know if you are really in it, or your body is just in shock...but it is manageable with help from special doctors...

i hate dealing with doctors' offices when the receptionists dont get that you are in terrible pain, or they just dont get back to you...i hope you can straighten it out today....dont know if talking to the same person would be best...or starting over with someone else...

i dont know what else to say about all you are going through..i believe it will get better.....but that is easy for outsiders to say... please know that there are folks out here who are pulling of you, who are praying for you, and who are thinking about you!

best regards
jess

LynetteG
05-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks so much Jess - your words really touched my heart and meant so much to me - you are a lovely lady.

I found out why I'm crying every day and so sad and depressed. Apparently the withdrawals from Percocets are as bad if not worse than withdrawals from Heroin - it stays in your liver for a while and I was told to expect to feel depressed for at least two weeks after stopping the Percocets. At least I now know why I'm feeling like my world is collapsing round me.

I usually try to stay positive, but this feeling of terror, vulnerability, fear of my future, fear of my life, sheer panic, waking up at 2am and not getting back to sleep - is truly horrific. The lousy percocets have been horrible - and I will never forget that part of this journey. Plus my leg problem. Anyway, please God everything will all sort itself out - as everything usually does :)

Back-out
05-26-2010, 10:26 AM
foofer,

You made my day - and more! Funny isn't it, how a kind (but heartfelt) word from a stranger online, can really - and I mean REALLY - lift spirits!

But not all that strange, as I think of you all as friends I just haven't met (in person) yet.

Without much elaboration, I've been feeling down myself lately.
For about twenty-five years, actually :rolleyes: - after my older son was expelled from his fourth and last pre-school, and all hell broke loose then. The snowball has been getting pretty big on its way downhill since that day. My whole family is very dysfunctional, and each added his or her layer of twigs, debris and grey snow.

Emotional abuse from his father (ol' "Honor Killing X") and neuro damage (same father shook him badly as a newborn) did him in - my very best efforts notwithstanding. It got me too. That expulsion (and its effect on my life) was one of many "last straws" that started me feeling like a no-good. Doesn't make sense, just IS.

Don't want to rain on Lynette's own rained-on picnic - the focus here. It's good perhaps to generalize and turn this into a reminder that a kind word can turn into not just a ray of sunshine but a whole sunny day, at the right time, to the right person.

People are so much fragile than we realize. I am. And we underestimate our own power to hurt - and help.
Thank you for the sunshine! I wish I had an antidote to the emotional abuse I've been subjected to for so long. It's worn me out, soul and body (I KNOW it's behind the collapse of my spine, theories of scoliosis notwithstanding). No amount of self-talk seems much of a difference anymore, though. Other (kind) people seem to hold the key.

Like you! :)
Your friend,
Amanda

LynetteG
05-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Amanda - you are indeed a very smart and wise lady - and I'm so sorry to hear of the life you have had to lead.

I believe that stress can cause scoliosis to worsen rapidly - I have been severely mentally abused (confirmed by two different counsellors - and they said it was worse than physical abuse), and through my marriage with my ex, my scoliosis rapidly went downhill. So I know there's no evidence, but I would swear on it that stresses in our lives cause our spinal curves to worsen very quickly. That's my belief and I'm sticking to it :)

jrnyc
05-26-2010, 10:36 AM
dearest Lynette
about the meds...absolutely.... they stay in your system longer than any of us usually realize..
also, just in case you are entering menopause...that doesnt help one's mood, believe me...even perimenopause, which starts way earlier than anyone ever told us about, can bring on sad moods, mood swings, and all kinds of other lovely stuff! i know you are not up to or able to see any more doctors now, but if the time comes when your current doctors help you feel better with the horrible leg pain, many doctors can run blood work to check your estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, etc...not just endocrinologists or gyn's....

i feel so so bad for you...i pray you have some good luck soon with the doctors, that you get in to see the neurologist, and can get the shot that you feel will help with the pain!

did you reach that receptionist again, to work out a trip to the doctor that wont involve 2 days and hours on the road?! can anyone drive you? i dont think legs feel better when one has to be at the wheel, and i say that from personal experience!

i am so sorry for the grief and abuse and stress your life has involved with that ex...i do believe stress worsens everything...my G.P. in NYC, known me for years, used to remind me..but i didnt listen...that stress can KILL! literally...blood pressure, heart attacks, etc
and we ignore it to get on with our lives and what we feel we have to do! but somewhere in the back of our minds, we know it...but we just go on...till something happens! i hope and pray that things ease up physically for you in terms of pain...because it's hard to get out from under stress when things hurt so bad physically!
thoughts and prayers...
jess

debbei
05-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks so much Jess - your words really touched my heart and meant so much to me - you are a lovely lady.

I found out why I'm crying every day and so sad and depressed. Apparently the withdrawals from Percocets are as bad if not worse than withdrawals from Heroin - it stays in your liver for a while and I was told to expect to feel depressed for at least two weeks after stopping the Percocets. At least I now know why I'm feeling like my world is collapsing round me.

I usually try to stay positive, but this feeling of terror, vulnerability, fear of my future, fear of my life, sheer panic, waking up at 2am and not getting back to sleep - is truly horrific. The lousy percocets have been horrible - and I will never forget that part of this journey. Plus my leg problem. Anyway, please God everything will all sort itself out - as everything usually does :)

Lynette,

I went through a week of withdrawls that I thought I would rip someone's head off. With me, I didn't get sad and depressed, I got mad. :) That, as wellas the body achiness, chills, sleeplessness, and general crankiness. It's not easy to get off those meds, although I was told that not everyone had withdrawl symptoms. I guess you and I were the 'lucky' ones. I'd say give yourself another week and those symptoms should all be gone.

Back-out
05-26-2010, 11:31 AM
That sounds really deep down sucky. As if it weren't hard enough to look after ourselves alone (while needing to remain towers of strength for small people who need us so!) - but then there's a whole system set up to make it harder.

Is it called "Reality"?

It's certainly not right for a mother of young children, one suffering hellish pain - should be expected to drive long distances for the care SHE needs - and THEN WAIT! Rinse repeat.

I"ve found that all too often, those we ask for modifications of whatever system they represent can interpret such requests to mean we see ourselves as "special" - jumping queue. It's as if they have lost track of our reality, the reality of the Other!

I hope in this case she had a really pressing reason for not getting back with you. For her sake as much as your own. (Sometimes, I'm getting to believe in Hell - apart from the one on earth, that is!:mad:)

It really seems to be adding fuel to the fire, here. It's easy to think of giving up sometimes, but of course, we're not allowed to. :o

I hope against hope you get this resolved ASAP. How far away is Tampa from you? Just keep on keeping on, and it WILL be sorted out. And don't forget you have your rights and needs, along with those of your kids who need you to be looked after by the universe and it's petty admiistratrors.

Re Menopause and HRT. Current research has recently emerged showing persuasively that if women start HRT early enough (around your age, though it's hormonal age more than chronological that counts) it can give a woman the positive benefits of continued estrogen without the heightened risk of cancers. Or at least, much reduced. The Ss in the famous W.H.I study (Woman's Health Initiative), only started HRT AFTER menopause was a done deal.

I myself started HRT in my mid 40s as soon as I felt those nasty effects of estrogen depletion, largely to avoid (I hoped) osteoporosis - my mother had it badly. And I sure didn't need anything else to interfere with my sleep, either. I'm still taking it at 64 (the patch form - bypassing the liver - is a big plus too). With all the bad things my body has been through largely due to stress and neglect, this is one good thing I did for myself. My gynecologist and I discussed the risks again recently, and she told me about this research (and the flaw in that famous study 0 the one "showing" that the negatives of HRT were so extreme they had to discontinue the study to protect the women given HRT).

Already approving my choice long ago, she clued me into this interesting methodological flaw which confirmed my personal judgment call, and recently the NYTimes wrote about it. The keys are timing and WHICH estrogen to take. Per this revised thinking, one needs to start in peri-menopause and not to stop. Also, estradiol (plant-based) is much safer than equine (also a very inhumane drug, for those who care abt animal welfare!). Those with a close family history of breast cancer might want to stick with conventional wisdom and avoid it (but not necessarily) . It’s a “choose your risk” game - always has been - but the odds are not what had been thought.

I chose mine and it was to favor bone, cognitive and emotional health, over what appears to be a much smaller risk of breast and endometrial cancer than the W.H.I study "showed". Frankly, I also appreciate the boost to libido and skin youth – and who needs hot flashes? (The heart effects have always been a mixed bag. Estrogen lowers cholesterol, but there are other effects, with unknown mediation). Note, to reduce increased risk of endometrial cancer, progesterone must be added - long known.

Everyone really needs a statistics course to read the newspaper!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/magazine/18estrogen-t.html?ref=magazine&pagewanted=all

Since there is a large cluster of women here around your age, I hope they notice this link, read it and discuss it with their doctors to make the most informed decision possible. I mention it in particular, for you, because estrogen depletion seems to have a strong effect on morale, memory, stability and cognitive deficits (e.g., Alzheimer’s). Going through menopause as a single mother with SO much else to contend with, would be very stressful. - and we all know that Lynette does NOT need extra stress. ;)

jrnyc
05-26-2010, 02:01 PM
bio-identical hormones...my doctor is one of suzanne somers recommended bunch..very expensive though, takes no insurance...at least, she doesnt take mine and i dont think she even takes any at all...like my radiologist in NYC...doctors who've been listed in NY Magazine as best in the country....they charge that way too, but i find a way to pay it...i go to CA to see hormone doctor...but since she appeared on Oprah, it's hard to get an appointment!! sometimes we do phone consults! saves me plane fare!

i previously tried the usual hormone replacement that most gyn's prescribe...horrible! a world away from the bio-identical...of course, i have to have blood work every 3-4 months...

but this is digressing...i just wanted you to know, Lynette, that there are things to address menopause if/when you are there, but now is probably not when you feel like doing it...this is just info to file away for the future...

feel better...hope you reached the neurologist!

jess

mbeckoff
05-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Lynette,

Just to let you know that you are in my prayers

Melissa

JenniferG
05-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Thinking of you Lynette and hoping for a rapid resolution to this leg problem. I wish I could offer something more practical.

Amanda, I can often pick people who have an empathy born of having "been there" in one form or another. Some people become permanently angry, others just try to ease the load on others so that they don't suffer as they have. Sometimes a sense of humour, if able to be kept intact, saves us. I enjoy your posts and wish you well.

Back-out
05-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Thinking of you Lynette and hoping for a rapid resolution to this leg problem. I wish I could offer something more practical.

Amanda, I can often pick people who have an empathy born of having "been there" in one form or another. Some people become permanently angry, others just try to ease the load on others so that they don't suffer as they have. Sometimes a sense of humour, if able to be kept intact, saves us. I enjoy your posts and wish you well.

Thank you so much Jennifer. This means a lot to me! I have been very much struck by your posts, actually. You are one of the truly compassionate ones here. There are many who care, but some seem to feel WITH and you're one of them. :)

Back-out
05-27-2010, 01:32 AM
Lynetter (to Jess)

Apparently the withdrawals from Percocets are as bad if not worse than withdrawals from Heroin - it stays in your liver for a while and I was told to expect to feel depressed for at least two weeks after stopping the Percocets. At least I now know why I'm feeling like my world is collapsing round me.

I'm so glad this point has been brought home to you. Generally, whatever an addictive medication relieves, comes back in "Rebound" effect when it is withdrawn - the more rapidly it was taken away (and the longer one was on it) the more intense the rebound.

I.e., sleeping meds cause rebound insomnia, nasal decongestants can cause rebound congestion, etc. These opiates cause rebound depression.

Narcotic pain relievers are all versions of synthetic heroine, which activate dopamine THE feel-good chemical in our brains. No wonder so many people put on them for pain, become addicted to the "euphoragenic" side effects - especially if they have any underlying depression!

Even those who don't, can get hooked on that lift, that "all's well with the world feeling". To make matters worse, if they're on it for any length of time, tolerance develops (you need to raise the dose for the same effect - pain AND morale), and the harder it is to discontinue them. The depression blindsides many- like you - and some are unable to stop them. That means they begin to resort to doctor shopping or more illegitimate ways to supply what can be an escalating need.

After all, not only do people have to contend with losing the relief they had (I call them physical AND psychic pain-relievers) but they temporarily feel worse!

There are, of course, other side effects from withdrawing - varying by person and length/dose of meds taken.

It's too bad you weren't alerted to this depressive effect of withdrawal especially since you accelerated the process. I think EVERYONE who takes opiates should know what they do - especially what withdrawal involves. Otherwise, like you, they can believe their perceptions reflect an external reality, instead of being "iatrogenic" (caused by a treatment).

I'm very sorry you had to go through this without a "debriefing" . All doctors working with pain meds should be very familiar with this emotional effect and make sure their patients are too. It's much more helpful than vacuous warnings against "addiction".

Doctors are very ignorant too. No wonder so many become hooked!

What's more, treating a mother amounts to treating her children too, , because her moods and behavior affect her children. All the more reason to prescribe to mothers with extra care and plenty of information about the nature of these drugs! Double rough on you!

Back-out
05-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Lynette:

I believe that stress can cause scoliosis to worsen rapidly - I have been severely mentally abused (confirmed by two different counsellors - and they said it was worse than physical abuse), and through my marriage with my ex, my scoliosis rapidly went downhill. So I know there's no evidence, but I would swear on it that stresses in our lives cause our spinal curves to worsen very quickly. That's my belief and I'm sticking to it :)

Yes, you are SO right., Emotional abuse is far worse than physical.

Very sorry you know this first-hand, I wondered when you referred to your X's having dropped by (AFAIR) shortly after you returned from the hospital. Dropped by!

I'm even sorrier knowing this, that you had to experience that depressive withdrawal effect without expecting it. You and your children were more vulnerable.

You're really something, Lynette! :)

LynetteG
05-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Finally spoke to the neurologist's nurse and she said that both my surgeon and the neurologist need to talk together to decide which procedural shot to use on my leg, and she was to call me back. However, I'm still waiting on the call. So hopefully she'll call me today.

In the meantime, an excellent famous hypnotist who lives in my area - Debbie Lane - who is also my friend, is going to do a session with me this morning to help relieve the pain in my leg - so fingers crossed :)

Thanks again to you all for your thoughtful kind words, those words go a long way for me, and touch my heart.

mbeckoff
05-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Lynette,

I hope that you get some relief soon

Melissa

JenniferG
05-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Good luck Lynnette. I'll be interested to hear if it helps. My thoughts are, that it's definitely possible.

jrnyc
05-27-2010, 05:59 PM
hey Lynette
hope they figure out a pain tx that helps give you relief from that leg pain...maybe a block, something to kill a nerve that is carrying the pain...or an epidural in just the right place...whatever they decide on, fingers crossed and best wishes

jess

ShariMSU
05-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Hey Lynette - I hope you had a good day and some success with the pain. Thinking of you and hope all is well.

LynetteG
05-27-2010, 10:17 PM
My hypnosis session went fantastic, I'm actually walking without limping now. It was an amazing session.

Radiogirl
05-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Wow Lynette!!! That is fantastic news and I applaud you for trying a more unconventional approach while the drs are trying to figure out what to do!!!

JenniferG
05-27-2010, 11:34 PM
That's fantastic Lynette! You must be relieved and amazed!

mbeckoff
05-28-2010, 10:06 AM
That is great news

Melissa

titaniumed
05-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Lynette

Keep your head up. Later, you will reflect on this time and laugh it off.

I have to admit that being attacked by "rodente's" in the middle of the night while under heavy sedation would be a trying experience. This supposed femoral nerve issue will straighten it self out in the long run.

Things will only get better and better from now on.
Ed

LynetteG
05-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Thank you Ed sooo much - you telling me that my femoral nerve issue will sort itself out has made me feel even more positive about it going away completely. So thank you for that. :)

Vali
05-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Good to see you have made some progress on the leg pain. I have been having the same issue for about 6 weeks. I can honestly say that today was a good day. I hope you can sort it out quickly because if it is anything like i have experienced (sounds like it is), it has been a b..... nightmare! Best wishes Lyn.

JenniferG
05-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Hope your improvement is continuing Lynette.

Good to hear you're making progress as well, Vali.

LynetteG
05-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Vali - Have you had this femoral nerve pain since you're surgery? What have your doctors told you? Is it improving?

Vali
05-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Hi Lyn, the pain i have had recently is supposedly (according to my surgeon) because i aggravated my Si joints. I had pain on walking immediately after surgery. The more i walked, the worse it got. I think on day 2 post-op, Dr H ordered some Endep for me, i took one dose am/pm, then am again and the pain was gone, however, the med made my legs feel like jelly! In case you are wondering. Endep is an antidepressant. It is used in large doses to treat depression but in small doses such as 5mg, it is used in the Orthopaedic and Neuro areas for the treatment of nerve pain. Hope your Doc is able to help you soon. Best wishes.

Back-out
05-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Lynette,

It is FANTASTIC that the hypnosis worked to lessen your pain!!!!

I'm very happy for you, and also excited about the potential for everyone. This gives me hope and others too, I'm sure. All or most of are in pain a good deal of the time. That's probably THE primary problem and motivator for surgery and treatments. Even a way to reduce narcotics dependence would be a giant step forward.

If you can find time to tell us more about your hypnotherapy it would be a great service to the forum.

FWIW I favor a separate section of references written on specific topics where people with either special training/experience (eg., your experience with hypnotherapy and hopefully others to follow) could write essays about their topics. I participated for a long time on a forum specializing on psychotropic meds, and I wrote such an essay about available sleeping meds and treatments.

I'll try to think of a place on the forum to post this suggestion more generally.

Meanwhile, I'm sure we'd all love to know more about your experience. Not asking for anything complicated - too daunting. But for starters, how many sessions did you have? (seems like it was just one day). Had you been hypnotized before? Do you think your friendship with the hypnotist had an effect? Does the effect seem to be lasting? Last (to be kind of tiresomely mundane), how would you have rated your leg pain before and after the session(s)?

I sure hope this keeps working for you and that others will have success later on, too (maybe inspired by your example). I'm certainly going to look into it, even though I think I'd be a poor subject. Come to think of it, I know a young man looking to start a business as a hypnotist - he started because of his own chronic pain, after a surgical error. Maybe...?

I know you're swamped, so anything majorly time-consuming is for the backburner, if at all. I'm really excited about the possibilities. None of us reading your post surgical threads can forget how MUCH pain you were in.

Good for you! And - whew! WHAT a relief. :)

Amanda

foofer
05-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Lynette,

Great to hear about the hypnosis and leg improvement. You've been on my mind quite a bit with the various issues- meant to chime in several days ago and then it seems that time just flies away with itself.

I agree with Jess about the hormonal advice, even if you just put the info on the top shelf of your mind and dust it off later. I used bioidentical hormones for about 5 years and they helped enormously with an era that seemed to find me circling the drain emotionally more often than not. My forties were just a gnarly decade. My fifties however, rock. I seem to be pretty upbeat again most of the time. :D Hang in there!

Jess,

I'm glad you brought up the hormone issue- I do think they have such a big effect on most of our lives. Good advice. I also wanted to bring up the Lyme disease issue- I think that most people are under the impression that it's a relatively fleeting illness that one gets over. The other day there was a segment on TV about someone struggling with undetected, undiagnosed Lyme d. - wow, I had no idea. You've been through a lot. I hope your surgery decisions reveal themselves to you soon. It is a tough decision, isn't it? This being in Limboland is no picnic either...All good wishes to you.

Amanda,

Well, I am so glad that you felt energized by my post to you. I have a friend who reminds me how often we keep quiet with the positive comments. She lets them fly, and so often I will think something fine about someone and neglect to say so. It's just better to tell people, yeah?
And your life- well let's just hope that something's gotta give and who knows, maybe it will...;) Life can definitely NOT be a bowl of cherries. I'm very glad you joined the forum.

What a great bunch of people on this forum- everyone. I feel so lucky to have found this place.

Foofer

LynetteG
05-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Amanda - I actually became a board certified hypnotherapist after I became a licensed massage therapist. However, I haven't had an opportunity to work on people yet as I did the home study course, so I'm lacking confidence at the moment. Debbie Lane is a famous hypnotherapist who happens to be in my area, and she became my Facebook friend. I called her up to help me with my scoliosis originally, and she is an amazing lady, has been very generous in helping me. After studying hypnotherapy, I saw how amazing and how powerful the mind is. Some people think that going into a hypnotic trance is being out of control, or being asleep etc. In actual fact, all it is - is a deeply relaxed state, you are aware of everything around you, however because your body is so relaxed, you can go into your subconscious mind very easily which is the place where everything can be fixed. It's hard for me to explain briefly here, however, it works and I know hundreds of people who have had so many issues improved or addictions taken away through hypnosis. If you go into a hypnosis session believing that it won't work, and you kind of want to prove to the hypnotherapist that it won't work - then guess what? It won't work. You have to want the thing you're going there to happen, and you have to believe it will work.

Hypnosis is actually really self-hypnosis, the hypnotherapist is just your guide.

My pain was a level 10 when I went to see Debbie, and I came out feeling a level 2 in my leg. I'm still walking better, so - hopefully it will continue to improve, especially since the neurologist's office never bothered to call me back.

Oftentimes, pain comes from other stresses such as people who are hurting us etc., and it turned out that a lot of my pain seems to be related to my former husband and his new wife, and what they are putting me through right now. In my session, (some people may think this sounds wacky) however, this really happened to me. Debbie brought healing angels into the room, and I could feel and hear the flapping of their wings all round me, and that day happened to be my father's birthday (who passed away several years ago), well, he was among the angels. He put his hand on my leg, and I felt a healing heat pass through it, and he told me that it will get better. I told him I missed him very much and was bawling while in my trance, and he told me not to miss him, because he is next to me every day.

It was an incredible session - very emotional, and with Debbie Lane, she actually feels herself go into trance when working with the individual, so she told me the energy in the room was amazing, she could feel the presence of the angels also. It was outstanding. Since my session, I also feel better about the whole former husband issue, so much stronger, and more confident in myself.

So do I recommend hypnosis? Wholeheartedly. It's the best.

jrnyc
05-30-2010, 07:36 PM
hi Lynette
i am very happy that this session you had worked...and reduced your pain...

it doesnt sound like hypnosis to me, though...
but whatever works...as long as it helps you...

i doubt any research could duplicate it..it sounds like a personal emotional journey...

feel better...
jess

mbeckoff
05-30-2010, 08:47 PM
how much does a session cost?

Melissa

LynetteG
05-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Jess - this is hypnosis believe me. What may have been done with me might not be what's done with you. Every person experiences different kinds of hypnosis sessions depending on the client's ailment etc.

A session with Debbie is normally $150 I think - she was very generous with me however - so I was very blessed.

Back-out
05-31-2010, 08:35 PM
Lyn,

Thanks so much for the fascinating run down on your special hypnosis session! Also I loved learning more about your training, your friendship, your life in general. It made me feel closer to you to hear more of your struggles and pain, in general and with X (I have gotten so snarky, I don't even want to spell mine "Ex" ;))

Pain is fascinating. It's amazing to discover how much more control we have over it than we realize. It can seem to be coming at us from outside, like having marionette strings tug on us (if not from outside our body at least, outside our conscious control - like when nerves are caught in between vise-like vertebrae).

Yet the more we learn, the more it seems pain is mediated by many inner forces including blocked forces. I remember from childbirth how much control and panic (having it or not) influenced my pain. It was kind of an either/or too - tolerable or intolerable, no "1- 10". It was feeling in control that made it tolerable. Also feeling it was "alright" - not malevolent.

Very interesting to hear your comments on hypnosis - that it's all self-hypnosis. I am just remembering how at age thirteen at a summer camp I got into a hypnosis kick - we all did, talking about it, but only I did it (with no training, except maybe for reading "Mandrake the Magician" comic strips! :p). I hypnotized fellow campers, in public and private - with their permission. It scared me, that I could do it. Once they were hypnotized, the things they believed (and did, on the basis of those beliefs, including post hypontic suggestion) did NOT seeem to be within their control. They were often very embarrassed when it was called to their attention. I stopped and never did it again, until just once at college. I remembered it, speaking to a friend there. She asked me to hyponitize her, with the same results. Never since.

Actually, it creeps me out to do it, especially as I/ve had no instruction and have never even seen a hypnotist work live. Don't even remember seeing it on TV. I wish I COULD hypnotize myself as you suggest might be possible. I don't see how I could separate myself from my suggestions, though. I would have a long check list of things I'd like to get myself to do and feel, for sure! Certainly, as a (former) psycho-therapist, I have long believed in the power (and necessity) of visualization as a precursor to change. We can't move to change unless we can picture ourselves being different. Maybe arriving at that vivid image is like self-hypnosis, in your sense. That receptivity has to proceed either the hypnotic suggestion or change initiated in therapy.

Your moving description of your friend's invoking your healing power, including your father as an angel, was exciting and touching. I guess feeling your father's love (as you'd learned to trust in it from earliest childhood) , gave you a sense of protection. His love acted as a barrier between you and the malignant force of pain. You remembered him shielding you from pain, and knew he always wanted to shield you from pain. AND HE DID AGAIN! That memory of safety and love, loved you back into becoming safe, and pain-free.

It's living proof of the enduring power of love. "Once loved, forever lovable". And being lovable (to the all-powerful being your father was to you then), gave you the power to rebuff your present pain - and others. Love gives us a sense of entitlement, I think - in the best sense. You didn't deserve to feel that pain, and ONCE YOU KNEW IT AGAIN, you were protected from it by "angels' wings" - real and/or metaphoric. Same thing. I can't describe it very well but I think I can imagine it.

I am also reminded of a friend's description of Reiki massage, which can produce a sense of release, liberating us from physical and psychic pain.

Naturally, being a literalist, when I "came to" after sharing in the imagery you brought me, one of my first thoughts was - "Oh, crap. How can this work for a Jew?" :o I haven't come up with any adequately healing Jewish images, though I guess if I were a Kabbalist or Hassid, I'd have some frame of reference...Maybe I'll ask our Rabbi to repeat a healing service he gave once. For all I know, he has. How would i know, not having attended services for so long? :rolleyes:

LynetteG
05-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Amanda - I love reading your posts. You are an incredibly smart lady, and a fantastic writer. Have you ever thought of writing a book?

By the way, when you hypnotize someone, you never make them do something they don't want to do. When someone is in trance, if they hear the hypnotherapist make a suggestion that they don't like, they can get themselves out of trance immediately. One is constantly in control when in trance, unlike the myth that people believe after watching some of the TV movies depicting hypnosis completely in the wrong light.

When I go to see my hypnotherapist, I always put myself in trance for her now, and then she gives me the suggestions. She taught me how to get myself into trance within less than five minutes. It's incredible, and feels fantastic when you're in trance, so relaxing with no cares in the world, other than what you hear your hypnotherapist saying to you.