1st Postop Visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Postop Visit

Well, Wednesday I go back to Dr. Lenke's office for my first postop visit. Although I'm anxious to see what type of correction Dr. Lenke was able to achieve, I'm a little nervous too. I want everything else to be okay. I'm doing okay. Still having some pain and still on the Hydrocodone, but Dr's office says that's normal since my surgery was Mar 1st and I had such a big surgery too. I still have to nap on the weekends some - just lying down for a few minutes helps immensely. So - think happy thoughts for me on Wed afternoon, okay? Thanks much - I really appreciate it.
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Good luck at the appointment Rita, I'm sure all will be fine. I hear ya on the naps and laying down....I do the same thing often, but it seems to be getting less frequent.

Rich
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
    A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
    Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
    Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Absolutely, Rita! Sending good thoughts your way. For those of us facing surgery, it sure helps to see people on the "other side" do well. So we're cheering for you!

BTW, I'm scheduled for a consult with Dr. Bridwell. Just curious how many trips pre/post-op need to be made to St. Louis (a 4-hour drive for me!). Do you work with a local surgeon as well?

Thanks!
      Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday Rita - and hope you get to hear all the great news. I'm looking forward to hearing about your correction.
        Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
        Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
        Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
        Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Rita,
          We're anxious to hear how your appointment goes. It sounds like you're doing well. Dr. Lenke is my Dr., too. I have total confidence in him, but I'm finding out on this forum how many complications there can be, so I'm anxious to be where you are with the worst behind you and with a good outcome from your surgery.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Good luck sister of steel! Let me know what happens. This will be a much easier trip this time!
            Laura
            62 degrees
            49 yrs. young
            Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Good luck at your post-op! But I'm sure you won't need it. Your progress sounds very normal to me. I was still resting during the day up to 3 months.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Dear Everyone: Thanks so much for all the votes of confidence. You guys are the absolute best! I would not have made it through all this had it not been for you. I will never forget my wonderful hubby reading me the posts right after my surgery. I think at times he wondered if I was awake or not, but I heard every word. Your posts mean a lot!

Confused Mom: I had one visit with Dr. Lenke when he discussed without detail what type of surgery I needed to have and then one week prior to surgery they called me with a cancellation. So, after throwing things tgogether quickly (!) we made the 5 hour trip to St. Louis and I had preop testing on Thurs and surgery on Monday. It was fast - but, I just didn't want to have to wait till July. I was so miserable! Normally I think they bring you in about one month prior to surgery for preop lab testing, x-rays (lots of x-rays!) and breathing tests, etc. Preop testing is an all day thing so get plenty of rest prior to.

Radiogirl: My sis in steel - Thanks for your vote of confidence in me and I will for sure let you know how it goes. I'm looking forward to it being a better trip there than the last trip FROM there, which was immediately postop and I was so miserable. My wonderful hubby is taking me to the most beautiful hotel in St. Louis for Wed night so that will be nice after our appt that afternoon. He's so sweet!!!!! If you get a chance, check out the Embassy Suites in St. Charles - it is a fabulous hotel!

I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes on Wed.
                Thanks again.
                Rita Thompson
                Age 46
                Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I'll be thinking of you Wed. This whole process is quite a journey, isn't it? I think it's hard sometimes for people to understand how long this takes, esp. when you look and appear "normal" and physically better. Best of luck this week!

Anne in PA
                  Age 58
                  Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                  T4 to sacrum fusion
                  63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                  Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                  Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Rita,

I was just remembering how you were trying to hang on 'til July and hoping for a cancellation, and here you are coming up on your post-op visit. Seems like it all went pretty well. I am pleased for you...

Is your current pain different or better than pre-op days? How is work going?

Let us know how the post-op day goes and report every detail!
                    Amy
                    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                    Exercising to correct

Comment

Good luck at your appointment!!
                      36 year young cardiac RN
                      old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                      new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                      Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior