Nervous about fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nervous about fusion

This week I get my cat scan to check fusion and go back to the Dr. June 7. I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't stressing about this, even though I know it's out of my control. I talked to the PA about the hip pain I am having and she asked if it was pain that responded to touch (no) and was it mostly at the top of my right hip (yes.) When I said that, she looked at my chart, and said it was probably bone graft and that it was one of the last things to heal. It doesn't hurt when I sit or lie down, but it's really annoying when I'm up moving around. I did not have a separate incision for hip bone graft and I know they used BMP for part of it so I guess I have to go with what she says. It's just hard not to worry about hardware and lack of fusion and a return to the OR. I told her I was pretty much out of my brace and she said that was fine as long as I didn't do the BLT thing. Making plans for June and the rest of the summer and hoping and praying that we're going to get good news. Have been doing so well most of the time, Just having that "Sunday Night Syndrome" thing going on (teachers know what I'm talking about) and needed to vent.
    Thanks,

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

oh, Anne...i sooo hope the fusion is going along well...i dont blame you for being nervous, but it sure sounds plausible that the hip pain could be from the grafting thing...
    i really believe you will get some good news june7...wish i could meet you in person...i see my pain doc june 10th in NYC...oh well, maybe some other time...

as a retired special ed teacher, then social worker, i do know what you mean about that sunday nite thing!

feel better soon
    jess

Comment

Hi Anne...

While a CT is a good way to see fusion, it's not standard care after scoliosis surgery. Do you know if you're in some type of study, or if there's reason to believe you won't fuse?

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Given what is known about pain in the hip at the bone harvesting site, I am shocked anyone ever agrees to have the procedure.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          Given what is known about pain in the hip at the bone harvesting site, I am shocked anyone ever agrees to have the procedure.
          Unfortunately, the patient's own bone is still the best graft material. In adults that need fusion in the lower lumbar/sacral area, I think it's difficult to get fusion without a sufficient amount of the patient's bone.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hopefully, you are fused properly. Not having had the surgery yet, it is one of my many concerns. I hate my rib hump and wouldn't mind if some bone from the rib was used for my fusion along with BMP, but I don't think Dr. Lenke does thoracoplasties. Let us know what you find out.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Anne. I'll be thinking of you on the 7th. I hope you have good news. Try to enjoy your trip to the city!

Comment

Good luck Anne. I think we all worry ourselves about this but the bone graft explanation sounds reasonable to me.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Besta luck to you!!!
                  Rita Thompson
                  Age 46
                  Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                  Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                  Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                  Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    Hi Anne...

While a CT is a good way to see fusion, it's not standard care after scoliosis surgery. Do you know if you're in some type of study, or if there's reason to believe you won't fuse?

Regards,
                    Linda
                    If a CT is not standard after scoliosis surgery , how else does a doctor find out if you have started fusing?
                    Melissa

Comment

Hi...

Although it's an imperfect science, fusion can be seen on plain radiographs. CT scans expose patients to a fairly large dose of radiation, so it would never be used to assess fusion unless there was reason to believe that there was an area that wasn't fusing.

--Linda

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                        Hopefully, you are fused properly. Not having had the surgery yet, it is one of my many concerns. I hate my rib hump and wouldn't mind if some bone from the rib was used for my fusion along with BMP, but I don't think Dr. Lenke does thoracoplasties. Let us know what you find out.
                        I have found the discussion related to rib humps and the treatment to be validating. For years, I have been encouraged (family and friends) not to dwell on the cosmetic effects of scoliosis but to "embrace" the fact that I am healthy etc. Quite frankly, living in a world obsessed with beauty, youth and sexually, I have have struggled at times in my life to keep the self esteem positive. Talk is cheap when the issue isn't yours....

The rib hump is of a size where it is very prominent from the right side, distorts my shirts(they twist) and necessitates a larger size to not only accomomdate the hump but to lessen the visiability of it.

The older I get, I find I am less focussed on my appearance. When I compare myself generally, my appearance is no so bad. Still there are times when I wish I could have benefited from the more modern interventions available for scoliosis and not have to consider another revision in the future etc. Better yet - not to have had the anomaly in the first place. As someone commented - a genetic train wreck!!

The doc and I have agreed to postone doing anything right now as I am not in any pain and active, if only stiff.

There is comfort on this web site in understanding that I am not alone with these issues
                        Thank you

HR 1981
                        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
                        Spinal fusion 1961
                        HR 1981 T3-L4
                        Thoracic curve 75Cobb; post 40
                        Present: Thoracic 60Cobb Lumber?
                        [FONT]

Comment

Working...
                        X