post surgical drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post surgical drugs

Just wondering what drugs did people come home from hospital on?

I have to call my doctor and ask a question

I was in rehab on Precot 10/325 every 4 hours. Then when I went to get my script filled, once I got home They now have me on the same drug every 8 hours. I was barely making every 4 hours while at rehab.Why now do they think I can go twice as long?

Melissa

Pain Management questions

Hi, my two teen daughters have been on (Vicodin or Hydrocodone) Perocet,
    and or Tylenol with Codine at one time or the other. You may want to ask about OTC drugs such as Aleve and Tylenol or Motrin in some sort of combination. Also ask about Valium for muscle spasms. They should be able to set up a pain management plan for you. Also ask about therepeutic levels and how they want to keep that in balance. My daughter is on Valium, Eleve,Hydrocondone every day in a certain pattern. She is in her 3rd surgery 6th week post op. Pain gets much less but can still be an issue. Just call and ask what they can offer you.

Comment

I am surprised your doctor altered your prescription so drastically without any form of consultation. I am glad you're going to speak to him about it.

I agree, some form of paracetamol taken in combination was what I came home on, and stayed on for several weeks. Apparently the paracetamol helps your main medication work in two slightly different ways. That was how it was explained to me.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I meant to say I came home on Oxycontin, Endone and Paracetamol. Oxycontin was every 12 hours, and Endones were every 6 hours initially, but I gradually spaced them further apart as time went by.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I came home on Endone (Oxycodone) and Panadeine Forte. I came off them on day 15 post-op. I filled another Panadeine Forte as suggested by Surgeron, just in case i needed them.
          Vali
          44 years young! now 45
          Surgery - June 1st, 2009
          Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
          St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
          Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
          Post -op - 5 degrees
          T11 - S1 Posterior
          L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

How long?

My daughter seems to be on her pain meds and needs them much longer than some of you. Of course this is from a deep wound several month long infection and post surgery collapse of parts of the spinal fusion. So how long have people been on the hard and soft pain drugs?

The only other drug category I know of is Anti-Depressants. I guess that would be the next move. We will see the doc late this week to find out about a 4th surgery.

This will be part of my question list since her pain doesn't seem to be covered at this point.

Comment

I was on two 5-325mg of Percocet every four hours, and I was taking 8 to 10 a day, as well as two Oxycontin a day - one at 11am, and one at 11pm, as well as taking one Valium a night. I didn't realize, but I was taking way more than I should have, I don't think the painkillers were explained to me very well on leaving the hospital, so weaning off of all this stuff has been hard. However I'm glad to say on Tuesday I will be narcotic free
              Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
              Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
              Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
              Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Hey there, Just to let you know I came home with Oxycontin and had some wild and wooly dreams so I shortly threw that away. Dr. switched me to Hydrocodone and it's worked beautifully. I, also, had something for nausea, constipation (which didn't do a thing!) and an antibiotic of some sort. So, just so you know, Oxycontin didn't do much for me. I talked in my sleep and even woke myself up talking.....and not very quietly I might add.
                Rita Thompson
                Age 46
                Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I was on MS Contin (Morphine Sulfate) 30mg 2 times per day when I came home from the hospital with Percocet 5-325 when needed. As I tapered off the MS Contin I increased the Percocet somewhat and then weaned myself off of that as well. At this point (about 2 months post op) I just take Tylenol from time to time if I get a little too sore. It's wonderful being off the strong pain meds!

Rich
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
                  A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
                  Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

I was sent home with percoset for the first couple of weeks (every 4 hours, I think), then switched to tylenol with codeine after that. I think i still have some of the percoset, 10 years later...never used it all!

Comment

Working...
                    X