First night home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First night home

Well, I made it thru the first night home .

Everything went Ok. The ride home is about 90 minutes and with 2 pillows I was comfortable enough. My only problem seems to be the bed. My bed is high and I have difficulty getting in and out and out of it. I really do not know what to do. I have a step stool to get in. I have to remember to turn and put my bottom down and then I am all right to get in to bed.But if I forget then I am in trouble . Getting out is much more of a problem so I really do not know what to do about it.

Any ideas???

Melissa

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
    Well, I made it thru the first night home .

Everything went Ok. The ride home is about 90 minutes and with 2 pillows I was comfortable enough. My only problem seems to be the bed. My bed is high and I have difficulty getting in and out and out of it. I really do not know what to do. I have a step stool to get in. I have to remember to turn and put my bottom down and then I am all right to get in to bed.But if I forget then I am in trouble . Getting out is much more of a problem so I really do not know what to do about it.

Any ideas???

Melissa
    Our bed is hgh too, so my husband built me a little platform to step up on and get on the bed. I used it for months.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

So glad to hear you're home Melissa, I wish you a great recovery! Hope you find a solution to your high bed though - do you happen to have one of those exercise steps by any chance? They are usually nice and long and wide, just an idea!
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

hey Melissa
        how nice that you got home! bet it is better for mental and physical health!

am wondering if you need a reminder...like a bell that goes off near your bed when you wake up or something...i seriously think, although i'm sure the pain and the rods remind you of the surgery and that you're healing, waking up foggy with meds could lead to making a move premature to thinking process! is there some way you can set an alarm clock for waking and use it as a reminder to move slowly...i'm concerned about how high your bed is though...is there any way to temporarily lower it...can you have the box spring changed with a smaller one or something?

i hope you can yell for someone when you first wake up...??

best wishes for a smooth and safe recovery!
        jess

Comment

Glad you made it home okay Melissa! Sorry I can't help on the bed height issue...for me it wasn't a problem as I'm pretty tall with long legs so my bed isn't an issue. Sounds like a long step or something similar would be the most help.

Rich
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
          A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
          Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
          Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Hello, I am glad to hear that you are home and doing well. I haven't had the surgery, but I have had bed difficulties due to pain. I found a used craftmatic adjustable bed (I bought a new mattress for it, believe it or not at Wal-Mart, and it's memory foam!- a warning about these beds, it takes a good couple of days for the plasticy smell to subside.) and scooted it up against our bigger bed so I'm not far from hubby (he can reach down and hold my hand). The pain is still bad but the bed has really helped. on bad days I can push a button and sit myself up to get in and out, just like a hospital bed. Maybe you can look for one or have a friend look for one at a flea market, estate sale, rummage sale, or the such. It has been a real lifesaver for me. You might even be able to contact a medical supply store and rent an ajdustable bed. Just a thought for what worked for me. I hope it helps you.
            Take Care and best wishes.
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

My bed is also really high...I slept on the couch for months. This past Jan. I had another surgery (abdominal) and my husband did not want me sleeping on the couch again so he removed the bed frame and put the boxspring and mattress on the floor. It was perfect.
              Patty 51 years old
              Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
              Posterior T3- L4
              Pre surgery curves
              T-53degrees
              L-38degrees
              and a severe side shift to the right.
              Post surgery curves
              Less than 10 degrees
              Surgery April, 2006
              C4 - C6

Comment