Turning The Corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning The Corner

I think I am turning what my doctor called "the corner". He said that at about 7-8 weeks at any point you could just start to feel like you can start to do things.

It feels so good to be "gettign back into life"!

I am not nearly up to what Lynette is, you are remarkable and a great inspiration, but I am able to help out some around the house, doing light house work,laundry,empty dishwaher,etc, even made dinner. Now that I can drive, I even have been able to get the kids to a doctor's appt yesterday and another today and ran an errand or two on Tuesday. As long as I can get my nap in it seems that I can handle an outing each day. We had a family outing for dinner to a Hibachi restaurant which I think was great for the kids.

There are still days that I am very worn out and just want to stay in and I let my body be the guide, but I know that is to be expected.

As for meds, my doctor has just taken me off Vicoden. I have very sensitive stomache and was getting very nauseous, but compared to what I see so many of the others going through I am thankful I just have to deal with this. The doctor has put me on Darvocet. It seems to be controlling the pain.

The forum group has been a great inspiration, everyone is so positive.
    Last edited by TexEx; 05-20-2010, 10:27 AM.

It sounds like you're doing really well! That's great!
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

That's great Texex - so glad to hear how great you're doing. It's almost a sense of freedom isn't it when you can go to appointments or drive a little bit anyway - right? I also have those days when I wish I could just stay in bed, and this weekend, is the first weekend since I've been home from hospital that the kids father is having them, so I can finally rest up a lot this weekend, I have plans to meet my girlfriends tomorrow night at Clearwater Beach. I kept telling them that the one thing I couldn't wait for when I was feeling better, was to go to the beach, and watch the sunset, and perhaps have a cocktail. Well, tomorrow evening I get to do that . I will be down to two percocets tomorrow, one at 7am, and one at 11am, so I figure by the time the evening rolls around, I should be able to have a little drinkie drinkie

Last night and this morning my withdrawals were horrible, the worst hot sweats and shivering freezing all night long, and this morning i felt very very nauseous. The great thing is though that I've lost a ton of weight since my surgery, which I needed to, and now when I look at my body, I still feel so AMAZED at the difference, to look at yourself in the mirror and feel normal. I used to look at women in their bikinis at the beach, and think, God what I'd do to have that straight spine and not look deformed, and now, for the first time since I can remember, I have a nice flat tummy with no weird indentation and twisting, and no hip sticking out or rib hump, it's soooo nice to see a straight back. I love holding my hand mirror and looking through my big mirror - so that I can see myself from behind, and it just amazes me. It makes all the pain we go through so worthwhile
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Enjoy Lynnette! You deserve it.

TexEx, it's terrific, isn't it, that feeling that things are improving and everything's going to be ok! Hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Lynette,
          Enjoy your night out with your girlfriends. You deserve it! Congratulations on your new body!
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Lynette:

I hope you have a great time at the beach. You deserve the break and I hope you got that rat problem fixed.

I too have lost some unwanted wieght that I have lost due to all this, so there is a bright side to pain med side effects.

Comment

Lynette, are you going to Frenchy's on Clearwater Beach?? I can't wait! I will be down there in a couple of weeks myself!!! Congrats on your new look. I know just what you mean! And are your friends all amazed at how good you look now? The first thing out of everyone's mouth is...You are taller!!! Enjoy the beach get together with your girlfriends!
              Laura
              62 degrees
              49 yrs. young
              Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Radiogirl - I didn't go to Frenchy's - though I do like that place a lot too . They built a new Hyatt hotel on Clearwater Beach, where they have an 8th floor Tiki bar overlooking the entire Clearwater Beach. We watched a couple getting married down on the beach, and a fabulous sunset, no cocktails were consumed as my body was not ready for them yet . My friends are amazed at how different I look - between the weight loss and the normal straight spine that everyone else has, plus they all kept commenting on how great my posture is now. Before I was so twisted and deformed, it's like I'm a new Lynettie . I only lasted a couple of hours, and then needed to get home as my back was hurting a lot by then. My very best friend is a doctor - Chief of Audiology - and she is just amazed that I made it out for a night, as she thought that I wouldn't be going out until I reached three months. So that made me feel good. I walk very slowly though with a limp still due to my right thigh still, and I was very very nervous about slipping and falling last night, especially round a poolside where tile can get slippy, so I hung on to my brother's arm when I was walking
                Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Working...
                X