Back into surgery tomorrow for incision drainage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back into surgery tomorrow for incision drainage

I have been doing so good at almost 5 weeks post op. Today my surgeon said we have to go back into surgery tomorrow. I have had a small part of my incision that has been draining since surgery. No infection, just alot of drainage. It's only about 1/2". He said we have to go in and work on incision and find source of drainage. Just the thought of hospital, IV's, anesthesia, and all that goes with it is depressing me. I know it is so much easier than what I have already been through. I just don't want more complications. The procedure is under an hour.
    Has anyone else had this procedure done?
    I am finally feeling so much better, I am hoping this doesn't set me back to far.
    Thanks,
    Shari
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Good luck Shari....I'm sure it will be nothing compared to what you have been through already.

Rich
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
    A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
    Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
    Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Shari - I'm really sorry to hear what you're having to go through. This will be totally different though for you than the main surgery, it will be a much easier and quicker recovery. The reason I say this is because I watched my brother, after his major back surgery, go back in for something else (different to your situation) but he had a one hour fix-up surgery - and recovered very quickly and found it a much easier process - so nothing like the big surgery. Hope that helps you feel a little better Shari!
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Hi Shari...

Hopefully it's nothing. Bummer that you have to go back to the O.R.

I had something relatively similar. For about a year or two following my surgery, my bone graft incision would open up occasionally. The surgeon went in under local anesthetic first, but it kept opening up. So, they ended up having to reopen the entire incision. It turns out that they hadn't cleaned out all of the bone chips that were harvested, and they kept making their way to the surface. I ended up being in the hospital for a week, hooked up to a gadget that flushed the area constantly. It was a big nothing surgery, but what a pain in the butt (literally and figuratively) to have to be in the hospital for a week when I felt perfectly fine.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Best of luck to you. You will be in my thoughts. I know going back to the OR is not what you want to do right now, but whatever it takes to get you well at this point. We want you back and recovering again with the rest of us. You will be there very soon. Please keep us posted. I'm crossing my fingers eveyrthing goes well for you. I didn't know this could happen - wow, so sorry this has happened to you.
          Rita Thompson
          Age 46
          Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
          Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
          Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
          Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Sorry to hear your news. Good luck with the surgery. I know that all will go well and you will be back on your way to recovery soon.

Will be thinking of you. Stay strong.

Melissa

Comment

Shari,

So sorry you have to go through stuff again. I will be thinking of you today- You will be in my heart!

Just get through it as you KNOW you can!!

Looking forward to hearing from you...
              Amy
              58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
              Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
              Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
              2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
              Exercising to correct

Comment

So sorry to read your news. Hope it will be a quick and easy fix but I know how you must feel having to face those procedures again. (It lurks in the back of my mind, too, depending on if I'm fusing.) Anyway, sending you best wishes and I hope this is your last hospital round for a while!

Anne in PA
                Age 58
                Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                T4 to sacrum fusion
                63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Hi Shari,

I had a similar experience, though it didn't require a second surgery. I had 2 sections, one at the very top and one about the middle. They healed over at first then burst back open a couple of weeks after surgery. Turned out I was allergic to vykril sutures. They were able to remove them in the doctors office. Once done I healed right up.

Prayers and gentle hugs
                  Marlene

Comment

Working...
                  X