PDA

View Full Version : melissa's surgery & Recovery

mbeckoff
05-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Hello everyone.
I am sorry that I have not been in touch but I have been out of it for a long time.

The surgery went well. I was in ICU for 3-4 days as I had a kidney issue but that is all cleared up now. I was then moved to the spine floor until the monday after after Mother's day.That is really the first day that I remember anything.I am now in the rehab section of the hopsital.I am going home this coming Thursday AM.I am so happy that I had this surgery.I feel physically so good. I really cannot believe that in such a short amount of time I fell so much better

I am having PT & OT and getting used to doing things differently as well as wearing the brace .I like wearing the brace.

Hope everyone else is doing well

How is Lynette?I do not have alot of time on the computer as it is a hospital one

Take care and I cannot wait to hewar from you all

MElissa

loves to skate
05-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Hi Melissa,
So glad to hear that all went well and now you are on the healing side. You sound great and I hope the rest of your recovery goes well. We are off to N. Carolina this next weekend to house hunt so will be out of touch for awhile. I'm glad I heard about your recovery before I left home.
Take good care of yourself and get plenty of rest. Sally

Nitram
05-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Hi Melissa!! Great to hear from you and I'm glad things are going well. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll continue to feel even better. Try not to get to discouraged when you have a tough day, they'll get fewer and farther between as you heal!

Rich

ShariMSU
05-17-2010, 05:40 PM
So good to hear you are doing well. I was surprised that I didn't remember much of my first 10 days to 2 weeks. It keeps getting better, hang in there.

jrnyc
05-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Congratulations Melissa...so good to hear from you...and to hear such good news!! i hope you feel better with each day!

jess

titaniumed
05-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Mellissa,

Yes, congratulations, you did it!

Its great to hear that you are doing well.
Ed

foofer
05-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Yay, Melissa!!

You are a rock star! Very happy to hear that it went well. Keep the reports coming, but only when you are not too fatigued. Get plenty of rest....

Vali
05-17-2010, 06:21 PM
That's great news Melissa. May you continue to have a smooth and uncomplicated recovery. Best wishes.:)

golfnut
05-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Melissa,
I'm so happy you're doing well. We were all thinking about you and anxious to get a good report.

RitaR
05-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Yea Melissa - congrats!!!! You did it!!! Now all you have to do is get better - it will come - just be patient and get lots of rest - lots of naps. That's when you heal the best is during those naps.
Again, congrats!!!

LynetteG
05-17-2010, 08:47 PM
YAY Melissa!!! I am so excited and thrilled to hear how GREAT you are doing! I knew you would feel better Melissa, and it's so fantastic to hear how happy you are that you had the surgery and how much better you're feeling. Your daughter wrote me a lovely sweet note, which touched my heart Melissa while you were in the early stages after your op. Please keep us informed as to your progress, and to how great you're doing. I can't tell you how happy I am for you. You deserve the best Melissa, and you will get the best - believe me. Because good people like you get good karma in the end! God bless Melissa, gentle hugs are being sent from me to you XXXX

Doodles
05-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Melissa--
We've all been thinking and wondering how you did. I'm so happy for you that you are doing so well. Just take it one day at a time and wishes for a very good recovery. Janet

Back-out
05-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Brava, bravissima, Melissima!! :D :) :D

JenniferG
05-18-2010, 01:32 AM
Wonderful news Melissa, you sound so cheerful!

I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly and you get the support you need at home. Take care and keep in touch when you can.

ADMoul
05-18-2010, 10:09 AM
So glad to hear from you and that you are successfully on the other side! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

mbeckoff
05-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your good wishes

besides myself and Anne, who else is wearing a brace?

Melissa

mbeckoff
05-19-2010, 04:45 PM
I am in so much neck pain today. Why is that? I have never felt this bad before.

Could I have done something in therapy today?

Melissa

loves to skate
05-19-2010, 04:51 PM
What kind of therapy are you doing so soon? Walking was all I was allowed for the first six months. Could the pain come because of positioning on the operating table, or the way you slept one night?
Sally

mbeckoff
05-19-2010, 05:01 PM
After I left the hospital on 5/11, they transferred me to the rehab part of Carolina Medical Center.Since then I have been doing OT and PT .I am going home tomorrow and they are going to set me up with out patient PT at home

Melissa

LynetteG
05-19-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm not sure what the neck pain would be - perhaps all the new alignment of your body and while you learn to walk and move in a new way, sometimes perhaps it may affect different parts of our body? Do the PT's perhaps know? By the way Melissa - I'm wearing a brace. I love my brace, it gives me a lot of support. Actually I'm at the point now where I don't wear it at home (my doctor wants me to gradually learn to move around without it) and whenever I go out, I always wear it. I feel more protected when I wear it outside, and it tells everyone that I have had surgery, so please don't bang into me :)

Back-out
05-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Melissa,

SO sorry to hear about the neck pain - it's not called a "pain in the neck" for nothing. Yours sounds much worse. I used to get bad "torticollis" which would twist my neck at a really sharp angle (working as a therapist then, I'd have to aim my chair and torso at right angles to my patient, to look at them! :p)

Sometimes when you're really, really exhausted, you don't move your neck enough as you sleep (we naturally adjust our position throughout the night otherwise), and that can cause it.

Having a cold blast of air like from an AC can also do it or make it worse.

I found heat and muscle relaxers helped a good bit (one part of the body, cold NEVER helped me, anyhow), and it's also important to watch how you sleep. Those cervical collars can provide considerable relief too. You know, those padded things attached by velcro. One of mine was purchased at Halloween - appears to be two hands, joined in the middle. Looks like you're being strangled. :D

Always gave my kids a kick. It helped almost as much as the one from the medical supply store and was much more entertaining!

Hope yours fades gradually as they seem too - sometimes pretty quickly. :)

JenniferG
05-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I hope it wasn't the PT that caused the neck pain. I'm a bit surprised that they're putting you through that at this early stage. I hope they know what it is and how to fix it today.

Regarding the brace, I wasn't given one.

I hope your neck is feeling better very soon.

naptown78
05-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Congrats Melissa on getting thru your surgery. Glad you get to go home soon...
I am wearing a brace too. 24/7 at the moment although sometimes I take it off when I sleep.

mbeckoff
05-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Congrats Melissa on getting thru your surgery. Glad you get to go home soon...
I am wearing a brace too. 24/7 at the moment although sometimes I take it off when I sleep.

How comfortable is it to sleep in? I can not find anything that really feel good to wear underneath it. I really need a bra but the back strap bothers my incision as I am only 2 1/2 weeks out from having surgery.

Melissa