What happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened?

I had surgery on 3/29 and 4/1, anterior and posterior, T-4 to pelvis, at Cedars-Sinai in LA by Dr. Pashman and got better than a 50 percent correction. Things are better after the typical three weeks of hell and the 15 percent weight loss, which I really didn’t need. But now, despite Pashman’s assurances that I am straighter and balanced, I find that I definitely lean to the right. It’s like my straighter spine is now coming out of a crooked pelvis, so that my shoulders are not in line with my hips; my right arm hangs without even grazing my side but my left hangs touching my left hip. My rehab doctor says it’s because my muscles are still trying to compensate for the severe, pre-surgical curve and aren’t used to this new structure. Pashman says to put a lift in my right shoe. Has anyone else ever experienced something like this? I certainly hope I didn’t go through all this just to be leaning at a different angle.

Thanks,
    Andrew

I'm sorry to hear this.

I'm going to suggest, just based on how long it took my one kid's shoulders to even out (several months), that it is (far?) too early to worry. The reason I suggest this is because it was the opposite shoulder which was higher post op just like you are leaning the opposite way post op. My kid was extremely distressed by this but the surgeon said it would even out and it did. If Pashman thinks you will not have the right lean when your soft tissue settles then I think that will be the result. He's seen a million cases.

Good luck.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Andrew,
      I too was slightly overcorrected with my left shoulder just a tad higher after my surgeries. It did correct itself in time.

You will need more healing time to come to any conclusions.
      You made it through the hard part.
      Slow and easy now.
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Andrew,I am one of Dr.Pashman's patients.I am 9 month's post-op.I had anterior and posterior T10 to sacral pelvis.I wore a brace for 6 month's.My right shoulder was lower after surgery and I felt I was leaning to the right but since I got my brace off my shoulders are even now,and I am very happy with my outcome.Before surgery I leaned to the left.I think you will even out when your muscles get stronger.
        Aug.17,09 Anterior
        Aug.20,09 Posterior
        Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
        Cedars-Sinai
        Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
        Husband married 30 years
        3 kids 29,28,25
        4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Working...
        X