Pain before surgey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain before surgey?

Doesn't anybody have pain before there surgeries? I posted about this earlier and onlt got a little response. I'm feeling kind of like a whimp. I have been on pain meds for years. And its the only way I have any quality of life. Anyway, I am not going into detail, as I already did in an earlier post. So- I will just leave it at that. SOFT HUGS TO ALL THAT NEED A HUG!
    babyboomer6
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Hi babyboomer, sorry I didn't see your last post. I am sure most here have/had pain prior to surgery. I know I did, though I would describe mine as moderate, managed with ibuprofen. I hope you get a better response this time because I think it will show you are not alone with your pain, pre-op. Sending gentle hugs back.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Linda -

First things first, welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of valuable information as well as support here.

I went back to read your initial post which was helpful. I can't really speak for anyone else but I did have a lot of pain before my surgery - the last 2 years prior it increased significantly. I knew I would need surgery at some point and waited as long as I could. There were a variety of issues going on that caused pain but probably the worst, most relentless pain was the arthritic and sciatic pain I had in my lumbar area.

I never took any narcotic pain relievers but really towards the end I thought about it. Daily I took Naproxin Sodium am and pm, plus acetominophen am and tylenol PM nearly every night. It wasn't enough to control my pain but that's what I did. I also used heat pads (moist heat) and had a huge back sized ice pack that I used every evening. (that helped quite a bit) I probably should have gotten more help sooner but I didn't ask for it (ie: request stronger pain med management).

During one appointment several years ago my dentist asked me what was going on - he noticed my teeth were wearing down... I had been unconsciously gritting my teeth together and clenching my jaw when I moved. I now have a mouthguard...

I don't really know what to tell you about your pain meds... There are others on here who have experience in that department. Is there a chance that your use of pain meds prior to another surgery will make them less effective after the surgery? Is that the concern here??

Sending you a hug back...
      Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
      Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
      Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
      A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
      Achieved +70% Correction
      Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
      New Spine 03/19/2009
      New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Just have a moment here but pain increased every year and standing for more than 5 minutes was very difficult. The last year things really went down hill. I tried everything. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I don't know if I responded to your last post or not, but I have severe pain. I'm still looking for a doctor willing to do surgery for that reason as my curve is only 46*. I have been in pain since I was 8 years old, started getting bad at 12, had incidences of complete immobilization due to pain since age 16. I have been on and off narcotics for about 12 years now. Right now I'm on the heavy stuff and that is really interfering with my life, as hubby and I had been going through fertility treatments. I'm on so much garbage that we can't even try naturally. I just wish I could find a doc to believe me, get the surgery over with (since I'm progressing and will need it anyway) and get on with my life, pain free, I hope!
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Hey Babyboomer: Welcome. I can assure you - I had surgery Mar 1st and I can tell you I was in misery the morning of surgery. I remember lying on the operating table right before they put me to sleep thinking this is the pain I won't be having any more. And, it was. Sure I had other pain postop but it was different.
            Rita Thompson
            Age 46
            Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
            Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
            Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
            Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Working...
            X