Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the ladies -and no its not about sex!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the ladies -and no its not about sex!

Hi everyone, I have been recovering slowly from an episode that started a couple of weeks ago (see Ahhhhhh thread). This week, while i have been taking it extremely easy, i did some research on the net by typing in my symptoms etc. According to information i found, it all points to L4/5 - L5/S1, piriformis muscles and SI joints. I also came across an article from the European Spine Journal titled - Sciatica in the female patient, anatomical considerations.....This made interesting reading for me as i have a bulky retroverted uterus and the suspicion of Adenomyosis. This current episode started a couple of days before my menses but I also did stumble on an uneven surface. My questions to all the ladies are:

1. Pre or post surgery, do you suffer sciatic type symptoms with menses?

2. Do you knowingly have a retroverted uterus?

To Linda, as you may see alot of patients in your line of work, have you ever heard of this.

As nothing was found in my current array of xrays and tests, i have decided that if this coincidently occurs again this cycle, I will be showing my GP and surgeon the article and then ask to have an MRI if she and the surgeon deem it necessary.

Thankyou all.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Vali--I can relate to one part. Went through about 15 years of hell in that department. Nothing worked D & C's, high-powered drugs, etc. etc. etc. I was told it was probably adenomyosis but didn't want the hysterectomy. After no more kids had the endometrial ablation and all was well finally. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Glad to hear you're improving, Vali.

1. Pre or post surgery, do you suffer sciatic type symptoms with menses?

It's been a few years, but yes, I did suffer sciatic type symptoms and loose muscles, that is, I felt things slip "out" easily immediately prior to periods. Shoulders, knees, etc.

2. Do you knowingly have a retroverted uterus?

Yes, I've always known I had a retroverted uterus.

Now, I'm going to look up "adenomyosis".
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I suffer sciatic symptoms with menses. I was diagnosed with stage 2 endometriosis. My doctor said this was common because an endometrial lesion can grow along the nerves that lead to the spine in that area. I had surgery to remove all of my lesions and almost 2 years to the day, the symptoms came back. I was going through fertility treatments at the time so don't know if the hormones had anything to do with speeding up the recurrance of the endometriosis. She put me on the NUVA ring to try to suppress it, and while I'm going through these back issues need birth control. When I had menses with the NUVA ring, I still got the pain, so she is having me wear one continually. So far, so good. I don't think it has anything to do with the scoliosis, at least in my case. I hope this helps answer your question. Maybe you can ask your gyno about endometriosis. I don't know what race you are, but it is more common in caucasians and once you have it, you always have it. They can only treat it.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Nope, can't say I've ever heard anyone say anything along that line.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
          X