PDA

View Full Version : Two more days.....ummmmm...

gmw
05-14-2010, 04:03 PM
My dates are rapidly approaching. Received word today I'm to be at the hospital 5:45 a.m. Monday. Surgery is scheduled for 7:15. I must say, my emotions have been up and down for the past couple of days. I try not to think about it too much. When I do, I can get myself doubting that I'm doing the right thing, dreading what I may go through afterward and on and on..... But, then I think about you young people who go through this with small children and realize how brave you are and remind myself I have nothing to fear that compares with what you have.

Look forward to posting on the other side......

Glenda

Back-out
05-14-2010, 06:23 PM
You are SO on my mind, Glenda. I'm going through the countdown with you! If only one could leap through the pages of the calendar the way they do in cheap movies (you know - how the pages tear off in space to symbolize the passage of time!)...
:)

LynetteG
05-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Glenda - I felt all those same feelings that you're having prior to my surgery too. Just try to keep looking ahead at the big picture and how much happier you will be in the long run. I know it's not always easy to do that, but having now been there, I can honestly say this will pass so quickly, and before you know it you'll be six weeks post surgery like me. :)

JenniferG
05-14-2010, 08:56 PM
I feel for you Glenda. This is the worst time. It's so normal to feel the way you do, but you will come through it like we all did, and I am sure your highly experienced and skilled doctors will do the very best they can for you and you will be happy with the results. We are all here, "holding your hand".

Doodles
05-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Glenda--
Wishing you the best as you prepare for Monday morning. I hope you manage to get a sense of calm prior to. I couldn't believe I actually did--& especially that I could sleep some the night before surgery. You just keep moving through the stages. Good luck to you! Janet

golfnut
05-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Glenda,
I totally understand your emotions. I have known for 5 months that I will have surgery and have another 5 months to wait. I am so worried about my life after surgery, but would also worry about my life years down the road if I didn't have surgery. I know I have an excellent surgeon, but it's still stressful. I'm sure you will be happy when it's behind you. Be sure to let us know how you are doing.

jrnyc
05-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Hi Glenda
best wishes, thoughts and prayers go with you Monday for a smooth surgery and an uneventful healing...

jess

gmw
05-15-2010, 03:59 AM
Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement. I knew if I posted my fears here, you would all understand and I would receive so much confirmation. It is so good to hear from all of you. You're a special group. I look forward to going through the recovery with you as well.

Glenda

debbei
05-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Hang in there Glenda,

try to do something for yourself this weekend. The others are right, this is the ABSOLUTE worst period, either pre OR post-op. The fear of the unknown is brutal.

At least on the post-op period, you have pain meds! On the pre side, our minds can get the best of us.

foofer
05-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Glenda,

I am actually very excited for you. It came up so fast, didn't it? Well, the same will happen after Monday. In several weeks, you will look back on this time and it will seem to be like Back-Out's description of the calendar pages twirling off into space. This summer you can buy some "straighter" clothes. It will be done and you will do just great. You'll feel so proud of yourself for having gone through it!

Post as much as you can!

doodie
05-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Glenda -
You know you're doing the right thing because you made the surgery decision when you were thinking with your head and not letting fear get in the way. It's normal to have doubts and fears - it's a huge step! But it will be so worth it! :)

There are so many who will be wishing the best for you on Monday and we'll be looking forward to your posts from the other side.

ADMoul
05-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Hang in. Those last few pre-op days are the worst. I can remember standing in front of my orchestra at school and thinking "next week at this time, I'll be in the ICU in a strange hospital in an unfamiliar city." But honestly, it comes and goes so fast and you just relinquish control to the professionals. We can all be glad that the technology of these surgeries has come so far in our lifetimes and that we won't be going into our old age as a cripple from our backs. Wishing you the best of luck and a speedy recovery!

gmw
05-15-2010, 07:37 PM
I can't thank all of you enough!! It is so encouraging to log on and have another note!:):)

JenM
05-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Best of luck to you, Glenda! I will be thinking of you on Monday and can't wait to read your posts after your surgery!! I am the next one to have surgery after you on this forum and am getting the pre-op jitters just like you. Can't wait to be on the other side!

Take care,
JenM

diane2628
05-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Glenda, you're going to do great, and you'll be so glad you had it done. Just remember the pain you're having now - you're going through this to improve that situation and give you a better life on the other side of this little 'adventure.'

I was terrified before my surgery - weepy, nauseous, feeling very fatalistic about the whole thing, second-guessing myself. That's all totally normal. Yes, you're going to have some tough moments, but you're going to come through this stronger (literally....reinforced with metal!).

Good luck! We'll all be thinking about you.

loves to skate
05-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Hi Glenda,

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. I'm hoping for a quick and uneventful recovery for you. You will be fine. You will be on the healing side very soon.

Sally

Back-out
05-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Go Glenda!
Yesssss!
:)

kassie84
05-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Thanks for your message, sorry i only just got it. Ive been so busy working flat out and getting organised for my surgery. Good luck.. I hope this isn't too late. It sneaks up quickly, doesn't it! I remember thinking my surgery is in two months, which feels like yesterday but now there's only 6 days...
Take care. I hope everything goes really well!

jsully
05-17-2010, 07:00 AM
Good luck Glenda, I will be thinking of you! I too have gone back and forth wondering if what I am doing is right. My stomach has been upset for 2 days and I think it's stress related. Good Luck!

gmw
05-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Posted from Glenda's son (Doug):

Glenda arrived at the hospital yesterday at 5:45 and entered surgery around 7:30. The sugery went very smoothly and the doctors were very pleased with the amount or correction they were able to achieve. They only made two small incisions in order to place cages in S-1 to L-5. She returned to her room around 2:30 and had a good first night (though not a lot of sleep). Her care team will be caring for her in preparation for her surgery on Thursday when she'll receive her hardware (rods & screws). We'll keep all of her friends on NSF Forum updated with her progress. She misses all of you and has been very encouraged by your support. She looks forward to getting back on-line very soon.

- Doug

foofer
05-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Great news, Doug! Thank you so much for posting....

JenniferG
05-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks Doug! It's great to hear Part I is over and Glenda's fine. Wishing Glenda all the best for Part II and hoping to hear she's doing well, very soon. It's a hair-raising journey, but it will soon be over and Glenda has much to look forward to.

doodie
05-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Thank you for posting Doug! I was wondering how everything was going yesterday. I'm sure Glenda is comfortable and with you there she is in good hands. Thursday will be here before you know it!

Please pass along my best wishes for continued success!
Rest easy....

LynetteG
05-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Great news Doug - thanks so much for letting us know. Can't wait to hear from you after her hardware has been put in, and all is well and great :)

Back-out
05-19-2010, 07:58 PM
High five, Glenda - and Doug too!

What a remarkable correction too - that lumbar especially. Jaw-dropping! Hooray. :D

jrnyc
05-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Hey Doug
hope the second part on thursday goes well and the rods and screws give a great correction! thoughts and prayers for a smooth and uneventful healing !

jess

Back-out
05-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Great news (ref your thread from today)! As must be clear, I mixed up the sig line (with correction) from one of your mom's other well-wishers in my premature congratulations about her correction! :o

But it looks like she's well on her way in all ways, as of today! A big virtual hug to Glenda and her "new-born" spine! :D