Two more days.....ummmmm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two more days.....ummmmm...

My dates are rapidly approaching. Received word today I'm to be at the hospital 5:45 a.m. Monday. Surgery is scheduled for 7:15. I must say, my emotions have been up and down for the past couple of days. I try not to think about it too much. When I do, I can get myself doubting that I'm doing the right thing, dreading what I may go through afterward and on and on..... But, then I think about you young people who go through this with small children and realize how brave you are and remind myself I have nothing to fear that compares with what you have.

Look forward to posting on the other side......

Glenda
    Glenda
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

You are SO on my mind, Glenda. I'm going through the countdown with you! If only one could leap through the pages of the calendar the way they do in cheap movies (you know - how the pages tear off in space to symbolize the passage of time!)...
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Glenda - I felt all those same feelings that you're having prior to my surgery too. Just try to keep looking ahead at the big picture and how much happier you will be in the long run. I know it's not always easy to do that, but having now been there, I can honestly say this will pass so quickly, and before you know it you'll be six weeks post surgery like me.
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

I feel for you Glenda. This is the worst time. It's so normal to feel the way you do, but you will come through it like we all did, and I am sure your highly experienced and skilled doctors will do the very best they can for you and you will be happy with the results. We are all here, "holding your hand".
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Glenda--
          Wishing you the best as you prepare for Monday morning. I hope you manage to get a sense of calm prior to. I couldn't believe I actually did--& especially that I could sleep some the night before surgery. You just keep moving through the stages. Good luck to you! Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Glenda,
            I totally understand your emotions. I have known for 5 months that I will have surgery and have another 5 months to wait. I am so worried about my life after surgery, but would also worry about my life years down the road if I didn't have surgery. I know I have an excellent surgeon, but it's still stressful. I'm sure you will be happy when it's behind you. Be sure to let us know how you are doing.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Glenda
              best wishes, thoughts and prayers go with you Monday for a smooth surgery and an uneventful healing...

jess

Comment

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement. I knew if I posted my fears here, you would all understand and I would receive so much confirmation. It is so good to hear from all of you. You're a special group. I look forward to going through the recovery with you as well.

Glenda
                Glenda
                Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                Pleased with outcome

Comment

Hang in there Glenda,

try to do something for yourself this weekend. The others are right, this is the ABSOLUTE worst period, either pre OR post-op. The fear of the unknown is brutal.

At least on the post-op period, you have pain meds! On the pre side, our minds can get the best of us.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Glenda,

I am actually very excited for you. It came up so fast, didn't it? Well, the same will happen after Monday. In several weeks, you will look back on this time and it will seem to be like Back-Out's description of the calendar pages twirling off into space. This summer you can buy some "straighter" clothes. It will be done and you will do just great. You'll feel so proud of yourself for having gone through it!

Post as much as you can!
                    Amy
                    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                    Exercising to correct

Comment

Glenda -
                      You know you're doing the right thing because you made the surgery decision when you were thinking with your head and not letting fear get in the way. It's normal to have doubts and fears - it's a huge step! But it will be so worth it!

There are so many who will be wishing the best for you on Monday and we'll be looking forward to your posts from the other side.
                      Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                      Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                      Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                      A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                      Achieved +70% Correction
                      Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                      New Spine 03/19/2009
                      New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Hang in. Those last few pre-op days are the worst. I can remember standing in front of my orchestra at school and thinking "next week at this time, I'll be in the ICU in a strange hospital in an unfamiliar city." But honestly, it comes and goes so fast and you just relinquish control to the professionals. We can all be glad that the technology of these surgeries has come so far in our lifetimes and that we won't be going into our old age as a cripple from our backs. Wishing you the best of luck and a speedy recovery!

Anne in PA
                        Age 58
                        Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                        T4 to sacrum fusion
                        63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                        Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

I can't thank all of you enough!! It is so encouraging to log on and have another note!
                          Glenda
                          Pleased with outcome

Comment

Best of luck to you, Glenda! I will be thinking of you on Monday and can't wait to read your posts after your surgery!! I am the next one to have surgery after you on this forum and am getting the pre-op jitters just like you. Can't wait to be on the other side!

Take care,
                            JenM
                            Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                            Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                            Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                            Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                            31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Glenda, you're going to do great, and you'll be so glad you had it done. Just remember the pain you're having now - you're going through this to improve that situation and give you a better life on the other side of this little 'adventure.'

I was terrified before my surgery - weepy, nauseous, feeling very fatalistic about the whole thing, second-guessing myself. That's all totally normal. Yes, you're going to have some tough moments, but you're going to come through this stronger (literally....reinforced with metal!).

Good luck! We'll all be thinking about you.

Comment

Working...
                              X