ATV 8 years after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATV 8 years after surgery?

So, I am 8 years post-surgery and 7 years post-hardware removal... everything is well healed after surgeries. Next weekend I am supposed to go ATV riding in Nevada desert. I agreed to go because I think it will be fun (I've never been), and don't see a large chance of major damage happening. I know there are risks, mainly if accident/fall, but not really much more than anyone else. Anyway, my concern is the possibility of pain afterward from bouncing & rougher movements. I do have significant chronic pain that I deal with daily, but am worried about how much worse this activity will make it. I figure there will be increased pain, but I'm hoping it will be minor and worth the pain. I also know rough activities can increase onset of degeneration in un-fused areas, but I'm generally pretty careful, so I figure I can afford a few rougher activities every now and then. I guess I'm just wondering if it going to be bad enough that I'll really regret or if the pain will be minor enough to be worth it. Any insight/experience is appreciated.
    *Fusion T2-L2, May 2002
    *Moss-Miami Instrumentation
    *55 deg. curve before and after surgery (0 correction)

*Resulted in Staph infection
    *Debridement surgeries in June 2002, July 2002, April 2003

*Hardware removal - April 2003

My daughter has been riding our 4-wheeler in the mountains since she was 1 year post-op. Her fusion is similar to yours (T3-L2). She has never complained of pain or soreness after riding. However, she does not have chronic pain, so I'm not sure how that will affect you.

My daugher has her doctor's permission to ride. Have you ever been given a list of things you shouldn't do? Will you be riding constantly for hours? Will you be the driver who can anticipate the bumps or the passenger who won't have any idea of when the bumps are coming? Being the driver is very different than being a passenger. All of these are things to consider.

Be careful! And have fun!

Mary L ou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
      My daughter has been riding our 4-wheeler in the mountains since she was 1 year post-op. Her fusion is similar to yours (T3-L2). She has never complained of pain or soreness after riding. However, she does not have chronic pain, so I'm not sure how that will affect you.

My daugher has her doctor's permission to ride. Have you ever been given a list of things you shouldn't do? Will you be riding constantly for hours? Will you be the driver who can anticipate the bumps or the passenger who won't have any idea of when the bumps are coming? Being the driver is very different than being a passenger. All of these are things to consider.

Be careful! And have fun!

Mary L ou
      Thanks for the response. That makes me feel a little better. At time of surgery, the surgeon pretty much said no contact or extremely rough activities... didn't get too specific, though. He said no football, wrestling, etc. Said no skydiving, although, I asked again after hardware removal and he just laughed and wouldn't give a real answer. No bungy jumping. I don't really remember anything else specific.

I will be driving and its on a guided tour, so it shouldn't get too crazy. I don't expect we will be going over any really big jumps or high speeds. I'm meeting up with my parents for vacation and they found a good deal and wanted to go, but weren't sure if I would be able to. I told them that I should be fine, figuring a little pain afterward (if any) is better than my parents backing out of activities they want to do because of me.
      *Fusion T2-L2, May 2002
      *Moss-Miami Instrumentation
      *55 deg. curve before and after surgery (0 correction)

*Resulted in Staph infection
      *Debridement surgeries in June 2002, July 2002, April 2003

*Hardware removal - April 2003

Comment

Working...
      X