Weather related pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather related pain

The last 3 days, I have not been feeling well. I believe its due to low pressure and cold moisture. Today, I feel much better, and have noticed that the low has moved east to Utah.

It would be great if any of you could report your pain levels and your current location if you think your pain is weather related.

If my theory is correct, People in Utah, Iowa, Missouri,and Illinois should be "under the weather" today.

Remember that this is weather related, so tomorrow, I will post a new weather map, and we will see.

Thanks for your reports
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

You may be on to something, Ed. As an Illinoisan, I am a bit under the weather today and my arthritis is acting up. I feel so much better when the sun is shining and the air is dry.

Comment

I've been bitching about the weather for 3 years now (just ask my long-suffering husband, ha-ha). I feel the best in warm or hot weather -- doesn't seem to matter whether it's dry or humid. Cold and damp...like it is today... is the worst for aches and pains.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Ed,
        I am feeling great today in the Northeast with that beautiful high pressure area. The other day when we had a low pressure weather system, I was in quite a bit of pain. Find me a place to live where the pressure is usually high.
        Sally
        PS: I must have missed something Ed, what does the foam mean?
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Chris WBS,
          You are close to the low on the map. We will see tomorrow how the low moves and see how you do.

Chris Singer
          You are in a high pressure area, lets see how you do when the low moves over in your direction. I'm trying to establish this pressure thing. It seems that my bear traps happen under low atmospheric pressure.

Sally
          You are in high pressure area. We will see how you do when that Low over Illinois moves in your direction.

The foam is for the bed. I struggled with sleeping so much that after realized how important it really is after scoli surgery. I could change it to beer? That’s important also....only after recovery of course!

Here is a new map, and the low has moved right over Suzie Bees house! Oh boy!

Any Utah or Colorado posties feeling any increased tightness or pain?
          Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Ed--
            I'm in Iowa and am sore from head to toe today. However, I felt it was due to my first real subbing job since surgery. It was a good day but I was beat. Plus I wore the wrong shoes so my feet and knees hurt--it's a really big school. I got home and had to wonder how did I manage traipsing around that place and teaching for 34.5 years--especially with a messed up back. Might have been a combination. I'll be interested in your results. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I'm a Colorado girl but I am currently following some bad weather by visiting the Connecticut shoreline. Last couple days were gorgeous but cold- and more humidity than I am used to. Rain moving in. Been on planes, trains, and automobiles (and a couple buses) and had my first two pilates sessions.

No way to study me right now- too many factors to factor, and I can tell you...I am the achey one!

But having a good time and mostly being lazy.
              Amy
              58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
              Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
              Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
              2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
              Exercising to correct

Comment

Janet
                Are you picking your sub work on the computer? If so, might be a great way to "delay" until you feel better. My neighbor was doing that. Start slow with the work thing. You know, there is nothing like a new pair of cushy sneakers.....

Lets see if you feel better tomorrow. The low is moving away from you.
                Ed

My x-rays

Comment

I'm even more picky than that. In fact the computer thought I was inactive. If someone I know and has worked closely with I'll sub if they let me know ahead of time. Actually this is my first real sub job since surgery; I have done some volunteer work there but usually not the entire day. And yes sneakers would have been better! Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Ed, You are right on the money about the highs and lows, but I also feel the dampness as well. I live in West Virginia, 60 mile SW of Pittsburg. I am the local weather person. I can feel it coming, sort of like when animals know when danger is approaching.

I need meds all winter long for pain. Summer I feel like Wonder Woman, with smaller boobs.

I love the beauty of this state, and all the seasonal changes, but no matter what I do the winter weather kills me. Guess I got spoiled from lack of pain.

Add me to your weather map please,
                    Shari

Comment

You can count me in! It's cold and misty today. It's been rainy the last couple of days after some beautiful weather. When the weather was warm and sunny, I was talking to my dear hubby about getting off the pain meds, then the stupid cold front moved in and I've been miserable since. I took my walk in the afternoon, just because I try to do it every day, and muscle spasms galore! I hope we don't have another cold, rainy summer this year. I'm in Southwestern Wisconsin. The weather forcast for the next two days, pain and 80% chance of thunderstorms.
                      Be happy!
                      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

Just to add... I don't even have any hardware. I feel really bad for those of you with lightning rods! (I hope nobody takes offense!) I can only imagine how the metal reacts with the cold. But maybe it's the barometric pressure or the humidity more than the actual temperature. I don't know???
                        Be happy!
                        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

You are definitely correct on this. I can always tell when a low pressure system is coming through the area, due to increased pain. Low pressure, cold weather, and rain/snow have the most affect. I am originially from Michigan, but moved to Arizona 6 years ago due to this phenomonon, after advice from my doctor that warm/dry weather would improve my pain condition. It has made an UNBELIEVABLE difference! My pain meds have been cut by more than half. I used to come home often in tears from pain, but haven't done that even once since I moved, and even have some days that are totally pain free! People with arthritis also have similar symptoms.
                          *Fusion T2-L2, May 2002
                          *Moss-Miami Instrumentation
                          *55 deg. curve before and after surgery (0 correction)

*Resulted in Staph infection
                          *Debridement surgeries in June 2002, July 2002, April 2003

*Hardware removal - April 2003

Comment

We're in day 2 of damp/misty/chilly weather here in Central PA and I feel like everything is achey right now! There has to be correlation between weather like this and pain issues. Bring back the sunshine and 70's (temps, not the decade!)

Anne in PA
                            Age 58
                            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                            T4 to sacrum fusion
                            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Welcome NicoAnn,
                              Its good that your move has helped you.

Wow, you have had quite a trial. Didn’t they get any correction from the hardware? Or did they, and your spine returned?
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Wow Shari,
                              I never watched Wonder woman. I guess I have no idea what a wonder she really is? I will have to check her out! LOL
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              AdMoul Ann
                              Well by looking at the map, you are in the thick of things.
                              Penn, Ok, and Colorado.

I'm fantastic today! Just look at the map.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Working...
                              X