Hip Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip Pain

I remember reading some posts about this but didn't find them when I searched. Am having a lot of pain in my one hip (on the concave side of the curve.) I think it's muscular/soft tissue but just wondered about others' experience with this. Sometimes it feels like it's really deep, like in the joint and other times it seems to be more at the top of my hip. Not a problem when sitting or lying down or once I've been walking for a while. Really noticeable when I first get up from sitting, going up the steps or moving in certain ways. What concerns me is that's the side where the hardware was not completed. Of course, that's also the hip that's had the most change in its position, too. I have worn some sandals that are not flat recently and that seems to have made it somewhat worse. I am at 14 weeks post-op. My next app't. is early June so I will probably call the Dr.'s office this week just for my own peace of mind. Otherwise, I feel great. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

I have had groin and hip pain occasionally since my anterior surgery. its on the side where my incision is which is opposite my concave side. My PT says it's just my femoral nerve getting aggravated occasionally due to repositioning of all my muscles. I believe the femoral nerve runs from the middle of your back over your hip and down your quad and groin area. I sometimes have discomfort lifting that leg or moving my foot from one pedal to the other in the car b/c I have to lift my leg. Doesn't exactly sound like what you have...but thought I would share. Exercise and stretching really help.
    Kathy, 43
    Diagnosed as a teen
    Boston brace 2 years
    63 degree lumbar curve
    Surgery August 26, 2009
    Anterior approach fused T12-L4
    now 28 degrees

Comment

Yes, my friend in England who had her surgery six months ago, has had hip pain, on and off. But as time goes by, it is improving. She hasn't needed to take painkillers for it for a couple of months now, but it still happens occasionally.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Anne

I had the deep hip pain for about 3 months post and with my large anchors in my pelvis, it really was expected. I took plenty of hot baths.

Every once in a while I have pain in my hips, knees and ankles. I don’t think I can point the cause at my fusion with all the skiing I have done, all of us old skiers have to pay our dues.

Scoli recovery does have its ups and downs. For us in our 50s, it takes one year. Keep walking, not like Forrest Gump, but you know what I mean.
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I have hip pain also although I have long pelvic anchors too. The pain is not constant but when I have pain it is when I over-do my activity. My pain medicine seems to help and I don't expect it to last forever. I am almost 2 months out from my surgery and this pain was expected.
          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
          X