Am I worrying about nothing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I worrying about nothing?

Hi everyone, I have just joined this forum and am looking for some advice.

My story is I had a severe scoliosis and a spinal fusion form T2 to L2 with Harrington rods and bone graft. This was way back in 1984, the rods are still in situ. The surgery went well and I've been fine, relatively active but have always been careful about what I do in terms of sports etc. Around the same time I had my op, I knew a girl who had the same op, I heard later that one of her rods broke.
    This made me paranoid that something similar could happen to me and if I am honest I've always been quietly terrified that this could happen.

Now, this year my kids have started to learn ice skating and I have been talked into joining them. I've been about 10 times and have fallen over 3 times but I am becoming increasingly worried that this is a bad idea. I'm doing well with the skating but I am terrified that I will do some damage to my back and that my worst fears will be realised, ie broken rod(s) or clips. Am I being silly? Am I more at risk or hurting myself than anyone else with a "normal spine"? I was told by my surgeon at the time that the things I should avoid were diving, horse riding, trampolining but he never mentioned skating.

This is really bothering me, I desperately want to skate with my kids but I don't know if I should. I'd be super grateful for any comments.

Mandy

Hi Mandy....

Since figure skating isn't normally a high impact sport, you will probably be OK. Rods break when there is an area of non-fusion. A fall or impact cannot break a rod that isn't already weak from non-fusion. While it's possible that you have an area of non-fusion after all these years, that would be pretty unusual.

Happy skating!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks

Hi Linda, thanks for the reply, it has made me feel better

Presumably if there was an area that hadn't fused I would have been told about that?

Mandy

Comment

Working...
      X