Almost six week post op update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost six week post op update

Well I didn't have to have the myelogram done, I had called the hospital the day before to find out exactly what it involved, and when I found out, I told them I wasn't prepared to go through with it. I called my doctor and asked was there any other way to find out what was wrong with my leg, and he said the CT Scan would be fine although it wouldn't give quite as much accurate information. The myelogram would have meant me having an IV for fluids to help prevent the headache that some of you have mentioned on here before, and then apparently after the procedure I was told I would have to lay flat for 12 hours. So with having two boys to take care of, and having gone through enough with the surgery, I did not want to go through this.

Anyway this Friday just gone I met with both a neurologist and my doctor. The neurologist figured out along with my doctor that I had some kind of reaction to laying on the pads for the ten hour surgery (my doctor said this was the first time he had ever witnessed anyone suffer with this), and it affected my femoral nerve. Apparently when I woke up from surgery, Dr. Cronen noticed bruising and redness across my chest, and on both my thighs where the pads were. My chest is still a little tender to touch, my left thigh is fine, but my right thigh is where the pain has been. So the neurologist had recommended a medicine that could have taken away the pain in my leg and stopped my fatigue and nauseousness and replaced the percocets and oxycontin, but when I got home the pharmacist told me that the meds would cost $430 just for 30 days. So that would not work for me. The other thing the neurologist had suggested was a shot in my leg, which would remove the pain instantly I think, and last for a few months, by which time my leg should be fine at that point anyway. So - I think I will probably end up getting the shot - although today my leg seemed to be slightly better, so I may give it a few days and see if it starts improving on its own, otherwise, I'll just get the shot. In the meantime, I've decided to wean off the percocets and the one oxycontin that I'm taking, the percocets are causing me to feel exhausted, fatigued, and nauseous every day, and that's no way to live, so no matter what, I'm weaning off those rotten pills. I figure the way I'm going to wean off them, I should be off them by May 30th. I will wean off them very slowly, as I know there can be horrible withdrawals on these pills.

I am thrilled however all in all with my surgery. I can't say enough wonderful things about my doctor, Dr. Cronen, he is fantastic. While I was in the hospital he visited me every single day, and since leaving the hospital he has given me his private phone number so that I could text message him whenever I needed to ask him a question etc., and also his personal assistant Josh Gilliam did the same, and gave me his phone number to text him also. Dr. Cronen did a magnificent job with my correction, I just found out at my visit that my lower lumbar which was at an 85 degree curvature - is not at a 27 degree curvature, and my upper curvature was 55, and is now 19. Can you believe it? Every time I look in the mirror I can hardly believe it how different I look to before, and taller

These last few weeks have been pretty horrible for me, only because of the pain in my leg, and the affects of the meds on me, but I really feel like suddenly I'm turning a corner. Today felt like a turning point for me, and my family said I looked different today. They thought I looked brighter, my eyes looked clearer, and I didn't have that drugged up look about me.

After this kind of surgery, and being fused to the sacrum, sure has changed my life though. I'm learning each day how to do things, how to change the sheets on the beds (tucking the sheets in is really hard for me), doing laundry, walking is so different, learning to walk in a different way, instead of walking to a slant to the right, I walk very straight with great posture, and that takes some getting used to. I love it when people say how great my posture looks

I knew this was going to be hard, and is some ways it has been easier than I expected, and in some ways harder. The fatigue from the meds has been very very hard on me, especially taking care of my boys, and the fact their father has been pretty much non-existent since I came home from hospital. So when the boys say "Mommy we want to play outside." I think - oh gosh, here we go, out in the Florida humidity and heat, when I feel like I just want to curl up into bed and sleep. Still - each day is slowly but surely getting a little bit better.

I absolutely do not regret having this surgery, I'm thrilled with the results, I'm so happy that I chose Dr. Cronen, he is fantastic, the best doctor in the universe as far as I'm concerned

So that's my update, I hope everyone else is doing great, I've been thinking about Melissa and I'm about to check and see if there are any updates about her on here, and I'm thinking of Janet Sully who has her surgery coming up with my lovely doctor in June, and everyone else who has just had surgery or is about to have it - you are all in my thoughts and prayers, and think of this as being a very exciting time.

The best part is - now I don't have to think of having scoliosis anymore, I don't have to worry about my heart and lungs anymore, and I don't have to worry about should I or shouldn't I have surgery anymore - it's all part of the past, and the best is yet to come - my life is just beginning
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

That was a wonderful update. I'm glad to hear you are doing so well. I hope you get the leg problem taken care of. I know how hard it is to wean off the meds you are on. Expect diarrhea, especially when it comes time to come off the oxycontin. I've had to do it several times and maybe I went off of them too fast, but I was miserable. So if it gets too bad, just slow up on the weaning process. Best wishes for your new life!
    Rohrer01
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Thanks rohrer01 for your advice! I'm definitely nervous about the whole weaning process, but I'll just take each day as it comes
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Thanks for the update, Lynette. So good to hear you're glad you had your surgery in spite of all you have been through. Praying you're able to wean yourself off the meds without too much discomfort. I'm dreading the constipation and pain meds almost more than the surgery.
        Glenda
        Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
        Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
        Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
        A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
        Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
        Pleased with outcome

Comment

Hi Lynette, I am so glad your doing so well (except for the leg pain). Keep up the good work! It's funny how the meds affect everyone differently. I just stopped taking MS Contin last week but still take percoset as needed and it doesn't seem to bother me at all. Regardless I hope to be off that as well within the next week...we'll see I guess.

Anyway, take care and keep healing!

Rich
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
          A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
          Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
          Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Lynette,
            I'm so glad you feel that you've turned the corner and that you are pleased with your results. Although I'm new to the forum, I had read many of your posts for months and feel like I know you. While out of town this past weekend, I was thinking that I wish you would post something about how you are doing. I can't imagine all you're doing (changing the sheets) so soon!
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Lynette! It's been six weeks for me too. I have been off the percs and oxy for a little over a week, but am now on vicodin one pill every 5 or 6 hours. It's a third of the strength of percocet. PM me if you have any questions about weaning off the meds. I tried it too quick, and got the withdrawl symptoms....very unpleasant! I'm fine now, and will be off the vicodin probably by next week. Have you been driving yet? I'm going to start that this weekend Tjat makes total sense about your leg! Keep us posted. Hope it gets better on it's own soon!
              Laura
              62 degrees
              49 yrs. young
              Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Thanks Lynette,
                I am glad you are doing well!! Seems like everyone is coming around about 5-6 weeks or so. I am scared but looking forward to it. My pain has been pretty bad lately, don't know if this is beacause I am thinking more about it or not? I'm glad things are looking up!
                Janet
                36 year young cardiac RN
                old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Laura - I weaned completely off the Oxycontin, had my last one two nights ago at 11pm. I was just taking one of those every night at 11pm. I replaced it with two percocets.

I have weaned down a few Percocets now, in fact, I'm down to one percocet every four hours from 7am through to 11pm, till yesterday I was still taking two percocets at 3pm and 11pm, today I dropped down to one, as these percocets are making me sick.

Did you or anyone else experience the following symptoms when weaning? I go from hot and dripping with sweat and then five minutes later freezing cold, and this goes on all day pretty much. Very very tired, slept while the kids were at school for almost three hours this morning, then when I got out of bed I felt very nauseous. I have not been walking or exercising like I know I should because my leg still hurts, although it is improving ever so slightly - but still I'm limping when I walk. I was told I could get a shot to eliminate the pain, but I'm really trying to get off everything by myself - and the fact that I've noticed a difference in my leg (improvement), I'm holding off on the shot.

Janet - I noticed a couple of weeks before my surgery that I started to hurt way more than usual, I think it's our body's way of showing us the real hurt that scoliosis causes us and the reason why we go for this surgery. The best part for me - even though the weaning of the pills and the leg pain have been not so much fun, it's been really great when I'm standing stationary now, I can stand and stand with no pain, whereas before, I couldn't stand stationary for more than ten minutes without horrible pain. So yes, there is a tough period to go through right after surgery, but it's easing up for me a little bit day by day, and hopefully can only get better from hereon out, and I love that I look so straight and well-postured now.
                  Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Lynette, I'm so glad to read that your leg pain has begun to ease. I hope the speed it's improving compounds!

The symptoms you describe were similar to what I had when getting off the meds. I also had stomach cramps and depression. As soon as the symptoms went, the depression lifted. I think it was all to do with withdrawals.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by LynetteG View Post

Did you or anyone else experience the following symptoms when weaning? I go from hot and dripping with sweat and then five minutes later freezing cold, and this goes on all day pretty much. Very very tired, slept while the kids were at school for almost three hours this morning, then when I got out of bed I felt very nauseous. I have not been walking or exercising like I know I should because my leg still hurts, although it is improving ever so slightly - but still I'm limping when I walk. I was told I could get a shot to eliminate the pain, but I'm really trying to get off everything by myself - and the fact that I've noticed a difference in my leg (improvement), I'm holding off on the shot.
                      those are withdrawl symptoms. cutting back more slowly will help eliminate the symptoms.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I have another question - since I've cut back on my meds, I've noticed I seem a lot stiffer in my back, and can actually feel soreness along my incision for the first time since surgery. Is this normal and ok? Also has anyone ever experienced electric shock like stingy feelings that come and go really quickly in your back? I got it about an hour ago and it scared me, it made me literally jump, it was quick but very stingy like an electric shock. If anyone else has experienced this please tell me if this is normal also?
                        Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Amazed you're sleeping more as my primary withdrawal symptom has been terrible insomnia! (But thank God you're resting! Could it be you're just simply exhausted? Taking care of your kids and all must be unbelievab.ly hard).

OTOH it gives you an incentive to get out of bed. Remembering having a colonoscopy without anesthesia or even tranquillizer, so they'd allow me to drive myself (and directly to my second grade son's end of year play)

His comment? Overwhelming embarrassment that the father of one of his classmates (my doctor) had "looked up his mom's butt".

I have a request of you and all giving intriguing comments about medication use. Please tell us the dosage you take of whatever you mention. Oxycontin, Percocet and Lortab (just as "for instances") come in many different strengths. I, for one, am very interested in knowing how much you're taking, to understand.

To get "off oxycontin and on Percocet" is meaningless without knowing the strength of the active ingredient which for both is oxycodone! I guess those of you who haven't taken many pain-killers don't realize that the brand-name isn't self-explanatory about the dose.

It must be WONDERFUL to be able to stand up straight! Apart from (hopefully) pain relief, this is indeed my fantasy. That and - dare I dream? - standing and walking without the damned walker!
                          Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                          Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                          main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Lynette, You are going through the exact same withdrawls I did. Your nausea and hot/cold flashes are all part of the withdrawl. That with the added pain means you cut back on your meds too quickly. The percocets made me nauseas too...I threw up from it. Make sure you have food in your stomach when you take them. You might want to take 1 1/2 percocets instead of cutting back to 1? You should call your dr. Monday and see what they say. Mine gave me hydrocodone (vicodin) which is a third of the strenght of percocets..I put away the percs and oxy and switched to those. Now I'm weaning off those. I'm sorry you are going through this. I feel the withdrawl part is the part they really don't tell you about...we are so prepared for the surgery and the healing...but not the withdrawl...at least that was the way it was for me.
                            Laura
                            62 degrees
                            49 yrs. young
                            Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

LOL Backout!!

Lynette, the stiffness and soreness is because you are no longer taking the meds which control that. If it's bearable, it's probably not worth going back to the meds, because it will improve quite rapidly, but if it's making you miserable, it might be an idea to resume the medication you were taking, if only in a smaller dose, just for another couple of weeks. You are very early to be off medication so a little soreness is to be expected at this stage. Think of all the healing that's still going on in there!
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                              X