3 weeks post op experience to date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 weeks post op experience to date

Hi all - it's been a long 3 weeks and wish I could have been online more. As others have said, time seems to just slip by. Thank God for that. I thought i would share my experience briefly. I'll start by saying I am glad I did the surgery and my family and friends can't believe how great my back looks. It will be a while before I know if the pain is reduced but I have every reason to believe it will be. I achieved over 75% curve correction. 62 degrees to approx 20 degrees.

So many topics that were covered on here were just as I experienced. My surgery went a few hours longer than expected, 6 hours total in actual surgery. In that time I had blood loss and had to have a transfusion of 5 units of blood. That really drained me. Due to all the antibiotics I came down with Thrush which really slowed my progress down. Lost so much weight due to loss of appetite. If you are thin before your surgery, gain a little as you will need it. I have lost about 11 pounds. All the other complications are clearing themselves up. It was about three weeks exact before I started to really feel good. I am able to get around the house good.
    My incision is doing great however I have about 1/2 inch that is having trouble healing. I talk with my surgeon tomorrow to figure out what to do about this.
    I still have numbness in my right leg, thigh mostly, and parts of my back still feel numb. (hope this is normal)
    Oh yeah, how can I forget extreme constipations! to extreme diareahha (sp?).

As everyone here has said, the first few weeks are really tough, but i feel as though I have come to the other side finally.
    There were days I was ready to just lay and not get up, but make yourself.
    If you have time, try to build up your lower body muscle. Your legs will be doing alot of work during recovery.

We had our local hospital deliver a hospital bed for our living room. This was the best thing we did, along with raised toilet seats. Last night was my first night upstairs in a regular bed.
    With the complications I had, the hospital bed gave quick access to sitting up and that helped when the Thrush dehydrated me so badly. This also allowed me to take naps and be a part of life in the house.

I would be glad to answer any questions you might have, just send me a personal message.

Please take this as encouragment that it's tough, but will be worth it. My husband said I had prepared him so well about how tough this would be, but I forgot to really prep myself for the reality.

Today was a great day and i see the future days to be as well.

Lynette I know you have had the leg pain and some complications too, I keep you in my thoughts. Laura I appreciate all the bowel problems you have had, even though mine were not quite as extreme. Slowly, it does all seem to get better. I don't have clear memory of alot of the early days.

Thanks again for all of you on here and all the sharing.
    Body is aching from typing this long.....
    Good luck to all of you who are preparing for surgery this month.
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Hi Shari, I'm so glad you are doing so well. It sounds like you are making great progress. You mentioned numbness in your thigh....i am a few weeks ahead of you (8 weeks post op) and I still have numbness in my right hip, back, and thigh. Everyone tells me it will clear up with time and it does seem to be getting better slowly.

Keep up the good work!

Rich
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
    A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
    Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
    Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Hi Shari - well done for writing so much just after three weeks . Sounds like you are doing fantastic - that is great news - I'm so happy for you. I hope your incision heals and the doctor can give you some good news on that. Thank you for having kept me in your thoughts also by the way. I am almost six weeks post op and I still have numbness in parts of my back and my butt cheeks
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

The numbness can last a very long time. It very slowly gets less numb. I still have numbness along the incision and in left hip. It doesn't really seem like a big deal at all and is perfectly normal from what others have said. After a C-section years ago, it was years and years before that little incision finally unnumbed--it that's a word! Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

It's great to hear that you are doing well, too. I have to admit that those of you who are going through the surgery, and I say going through because it is a continual process for a long time, are very brave. I wish you the best in your healing process. I still have numbness from a different surgery that I had (c-section) over 17 years ago. I can't speak for spine surgery, but I think some degree of numbess goes with the territory of cutting through the skin and the nerves in the skin. Best wishes!
          Rohrer01
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Hi Shari, Thanks for the smiles. I love it when someone does so well. I know you are still hurting, and I commend you for getting on here so soon. I'm actually a little jealous.

Take care,
            Shari

Comment

Hi Shari - another scoli patient doing well. Sitting up and typing that post at three weeks is impressive.

Glad to hear things are improving for you and that you're pleased you had the surgery. Take good care and let us know how you go down the track.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Shari
                Its funny how when someone mentions butt cheek numbness, I have to check. LOL Yup, they are still there....

About 10% numb. Same with the backside incision area.

Try not to type too much... Recovery per paragraph, takes about 5 hours of sleep!

Don’t worry, it does get better.
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Shari.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you're doing really well after just three weeks. It's good to hear you're glad you did it. Hope your healing continues to go well.

Appreciate all the openness here with the posts from all of you. It is good to hear both the good and not so good. It gives those of us in waiting a good view of what is, in all likelihood, coming our way too. It also let's us see things usually do get better with time.
                  Glenda
                  Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                  Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                  Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                  A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                  Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                  Pleased with outcome

Comment

Go for it! Also, impressed with Dr. Cronen's fan club

Shari,

I'm so happy and proud for you! Having so many positive reports coming back, sure is inspiring for those of us still waiting or even on the fence.

I always wonder how much heroism goes into these reports, and hope everyone will write at every stage of recovery (that goes on forever, in a way) . Also that no one will feel pressure to tone down anything but good news, as wonderful as that is for us to hear on your behalves and our own (subject of previous discussion).

Meanwhile. it is THRILLING to hear your results, Shari. WAY TO GO!!!

I for one am especially heartened by you and Lynnette because of Dr. Cronen. Not counting my student sons who are naturally busy with school, my small extended family lives in Florida - Tampa and Sarasota. It would be an ideal place to recover. Hmmm. Any other FL names, with whom members have personal experience?
                    Last edited by Back-out; 05-10-2010, 10:49 AM.
                    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I'm glad to hear about the thigh numbness, tingling and burning being normal. I have that on the left side. I had surgery Mar 1st. I have to be very careful when I step only on the left leg because it just doesn't seem to function as it used to - lots of numbness, aching (sorta like a toothache!) and tingling. Numerous people have told me this is the nerves healing in my back so I am holding onto that. I've cut back on my Hydrocodone significantly, about three a day, 2 when I frst get up because I'm usually pretty miserable after my shower, makeup and blowing drying this long hair. Geesh! Guys have it made. No shaving the legs or blow drying the long hair!!! Hahahaha!!!!
                      Congrats on your feeling better and turning the corner. It really is a good feeling!
                      Rita Thompson
                      Age 46
                      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by Back-out View Post
                        Shari,
                        I always wonder how much heroism goes into these reports...
                        Yes, that's an excellent word that pertains to you, Shari, and all of you who have had this surgery. Heroism. That's how I feel about all of you who have made the decision to have this procedure. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, good and bad. Those who do not have this affliction cannot know what it's like to have this affliction. We had it during our tender adolescence when we were sensitive and conscious of our changing bodies, trying to hide our disfigurement, suffering with the ugly Milwaukee brace. Thank goodness we now have the option to stop the "ugly bones" from continuing on their course.
                        Laurie
                        Age 57
                        Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
                        Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
                        Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
                        Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
                        Dr Munish Gupta
                        UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Glad to hear you are doing so well! Congratulations!
                          36 year young cardiac RN
                          old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                          new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                          Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                          Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                          and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Working...
                          X