Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

this is a statement from Quackwatch...do you agree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this is a statement from Quackwatch...do you agree?

Scoliosis: A Sensible Approach
    Mark S. Rosenthal, M.D.

There are several types of scoliosis. Fortunately, most are rare. The common type is "idiopathic scoliosis," so called because the cause is unknown. It affects about 4% of the population, but is more common among females. Idiopathic scoliosis usually starts between the ages of 10 and 12. As the child grows, there is a chance the curve can progress (worsen). Most curves will not worsen during adolescence and worsening after growth is complete is unusual.

http://www.quackwatch.org/03HealthPr...scoliosis.html

Would you agree with that statement? It also states after adulthood you have less chance for progression...I find these statement to be hopeful but not true from what I have read on this forums.
    age 15
    Daughter diagnosed at age 13
    T20 l23 10-09
    T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
    T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
    T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
    Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
    Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Will Adolescent Scoliosis keep progressing?

When growth is complete, curves under 30 degrees usually don’t get any worse. Bracing for curves that reach 30 degrees to prevent them from getting worse during the growing years is essential. Bracing is usually ineffective for curves over 45 degrees. Curves over 45 - 50 degrees almost always keep progressing and usually require surgery. Spinal fusion surgery halts the progression of the curve and greatly reduces existing deformity. Spinal fusion involves fusing two or more vertebrae of the spine together by surgery.

http://www.bigbackpain.com/scoliosis.html

It is a jungle of information out there...you really need to weed through facts and understand that so many variables are involved.

please do share any reliable source for information on scoliosis
    age 15
    Daughter diagnosed at age 13
    T20 l23 10-09
    T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
    T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
    T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
    Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
    Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbluefrog View Post
      Most curves will not worsen during adolescence and worsening after growth is complete is unusual.

Would you agree with that statement? It also states after adulthood you have less chance for progression...I find these statement to be hopeful but not true from what I have read on this forums.
      I would not agree or disagree until I see some high quality data. I haven't seen any yet.

There is an alarming number of testimonials just on the last year or so with people well below surgical range at maturity nevertheless still reaching surgical range as young adults not to mention in middle age.

And we have at least one experienced surgeon stating it is not unusual for that patient with a mid 30* curve at maturity to reach surgical range in young adulthood. That was even more alarming to hear. I am very sure every single parent and patient would assume at this point that if they made it to the mid 30* at maturity they would never need fusion for progression. I know my kid thought that and so did I. And I would bet a lot of money our surgeon thinks that based on what he has told us.

So it seems there is some disagreement building on this point.

Still, the testimonials here are not a random sampling and it could very well be that these are literally a few in a thousand (or more) that progress despite being in the putatively safe zone.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbluefrog View Post
        Scoliosis: A Sensible Approach
        Mark S. Rosenthal, M.D.

There are several types of scoliosis. Fortunately, most are rare. The common type is "idiopathic scoliosis," so called because the cause is unknown. It affects about 4% of the population, but is more common among females. Idiopathic scoliosis usually starts between the ages of 10 and 12. As the child grows, there is a chance the curve can progress (worsen). Most curves will not worsen during adolescence and worsening after growth is complete is unusual.

My best statement would be that for some people this is true. I was diagnosed at 16 with an unbracable 39* upper thoracic curve. It improved with some therapies that I was subjected to and it was stable for over 20 years. I am 41 years old and have progressed to 46* over the last 2 years. So it goes, no one can say for certainty. You are in the brace, your curves are small. I would be as compliant as you possibly can be. Do what the doctors tell you. Be smart and keep up on your own research, like you are doing, so that you know what the best treatment options are. You are an intelligent young woman. I wish I had been as smart as you when I was first diagnosed. But again, we didn't have the internet back then.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

As far as my own experience, which is the only I can speak for, I was "discovered" at age 15 at 34L, braced 1 year with a result to 19L (and man did I pay for that in pain!), and then.................. age 35 I was 34L again, and then at age 43, 49L. Keep a close eye. I have managed to reverse my curve to 45L thru various means--see my thread "Result of Dr visit.
          Last edited by dailystrength; 05-12-2010, 08:41 AM.
          34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
          Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

I think this is true. But you have to think about what he's really saying. Of all people with scoliosis, most people have mild cases - most people don't need to be treated at all, because their curves are minor and cause them no problems. The percentage of people who have scoliosis who have more significant curves is smaller - they're certainly a minority of all scoliosis cases, otherwise every teenager with scoli would be in a brace. Mild cases don't tend to progress after adolescence. So in that sense, it is true - most people have mild cases, and most mild cases don't progress in adulthood.

But from what I understand, the more severe the curve is, the more likely it is to progress into adulthood. My doctor told me when I was a teen (when I wore a brace) that the 'tipping point' was usually either 30 or 40 degrees (I can't remember which it is)...if your curves are beyond that point, they're more likely to progress. It won't always happen, but it's more likely.

Comment

"Spinal fusion surgery halts the progression of the curve and greatly reduces existing deformity."

I'm not as sure about this statement. There are definitely people who still progress after surgery - not much, and I think it's rare, but that definitely happens sometimes. Surgery stops it - but not always forever.

I still think the earlier post is true, though. Most adolescents with minor curves don't progress. It's not a guarantee, but odds are better that it won't progress in adulthood if the curves are smaller.

Comment

Working...
              X