bouncing motion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bouncing motion

My Dr said "bouncing" motion is contraindicated after surgery. Is anyone here go boating, four wheeling or ride roller coasters anymore? Just curious, I have a four wheelers and am thinking about trading in for a pontoon boat which I assume will be less bouncy.
    Janet
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Hi Janet,
    I had surgery 2 years ago and also a revision a month ago. My hubby and I are fun boaters with a cabin cruiser we love! It hasn't bothered me a bit to go boating. We don't have much "bouncing" because our boat isn't a fast boat (which my hubby reminds me of often). The water seems to be therapeutic also when I can get in!
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I went on holidays at 6 months post-op and one of the things I did was spend a day on a boat going to various bays, beaches and snorkelling spots. It was stop/start all day, but when we moved, it was very bouncy. I was quite nervous about what it might do to my back, when we got going, but so far, so good.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

My daughter returned to riding our 4-wheeler at one year post-op with her surgeon's permission. She rides in the mountains, so it is a very bouncy ride and has never complained of pain or even soreness.

Jamie returned to riding roller coasters at one year post-op as well. She prefers to ride the steel coasters. She has ridden the wooden coasters as well, without problems, but because of the way wooden coasters throw you around, I'm happy she prefers the smoother ride of the steel coasters.

One thing "bouncy" she did complain about is jumping on a huge pillow type thing from another country. I would associate it to a trampoline only much, much larger and filled with air. Her surgeon told her no jumping on trampolines EVER. (he hates them in general because of all the injuries that occur, so it had nothing to do with her surgery) But being a teenager and being on vacation, she wanted to try it and she got off of it on her own after just a few minutes because it didn't hurt, but it just felt uncomfortable to her.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I second sthe motion for trading in for a pontoon. The thought of just tooling along on a lake, just veging out and relaxing and NOT going fast just seems very cool to me..just my two cents. Please don't tell my hubby I said this about a boat.... Ha! Ha!
          Rita Thompson
          Age 46
          Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
          Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
          Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
          Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I live by the Gulf of Mexico in Florida, so probably not much lake riding but I did tell my husband he would have to drive cautious/slow and I would sit in back to avoid as much wake as possible. You are right, it is relaxing. I am a little afraid of riding the four wheeler after, the place we ride at has a lot of whoop de doos, very bouncy. Just want to be cautious but not give up all the fun stuff .
            36 year young cardiac RN
            old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
            new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
            Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
            Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
            and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Working...
            X