Prevalence of Scoliosis and some other genetic diseases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prevalence of Scoliosis and some other genetic diseases

We have seen the folkscience claim that scoliosis is too prevalent to be a genetic disease. I have countered that argument already with other reasoning but here is another stab at it.

Here is a list of genetic diseases that have a similar prevalence rate as scoliosis, some many-fold more prevalent than scoliosis.

Scoliosis: ~2 to 4 % worldwide

Otosclerosis: As many as 10% of Caucasians have the condition but most do not get symptoms; about 1 in 100 cases actually lose hearing from otosclerosis

Sickle Cell Anemia: Estimated 1 per 1,000. Hispanic Americans are affected by sickle cell disease in the US

Deuteranopia: About 1% of white males

Protanopia: About 1% of white males

Red-green color blindness: About 10% of males

Of course there are many genetic diseases that are far rarer due to their virulence. Scoliosis, where only about 1 in a 1,000 require fusion and some of these people never get fusion and still live long enough to reproduce, is obviously nowhere near as virulent as the rare genetic disorders. That accounts for the observed incidence rate of 2-4% worldwide; no need for a germ theory of scoliosis.

Here is a short explanation of how prevalence, incidence, etc. have specific meanings...

http://www.bmj.com/epidem/epid.2.html

I think I have been using terms wrongly at times and would need to study this if I continue these ridiculous exchanges.

Last, science advances by trying to disprove false claims. Folkscience "advances" by trying to prove false and, by chance alone, true claims.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 05-02-2010, 06:35 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

You need to post this to Dingo's argument on the other thread. I weary of trying to explain.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
      You need to post this to Dingo's argument on the other thread. I weary of trying to explain.
      I did.

The problem of pseudoscience is large and I fight exasperation at every turn.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
      X