PDA

View Full Version : Why do people lose (so much) weight after surgery?

Back-out
04-28-2010, 10:25 PM
We live in a country where at least 1/3 of adults are overweight or obese. Food beckons everywhere and many succumb to its lure eating for taste instead of appetite,

How come, then, I hear all the time both here and in the medical lit that weight loss is a serious problem after this surgery? It can only make me think it's such a hellacious experience, it just strips the flesh off your bones - or something.

I don't expect anyone to tell me it's a miracle cure for weight loss, so what really IS the scoop on why it happens? We're not unconscious for that long ;) , and even what I've been thinking of as the average "hell" period (one-two months) isn't THAT long.

Nor can we engage in vigorous exercise during that time (in fact, I'm very concerned about becoming debilitated and losing all my good and hard won muscle tone. After all, how can I do crunches or the other floor exercises I've been relying on? But that's another thread...)

It's just so hard to imagine everyone dropping that much weight unless something strange and awful is going on. I almost always have a good appetite. In fact, it's a problem to eat healthy and moderately. What lies ahead??

Meds? Agonizing pain? Sleeplessness?

Doodles
04-28-2010, 10:40 PM
I had one surgeon tell me I'd lose 25 pounds and need a whole new wardrobe. Didn't use that one. I actually gained 20 pounds due to swelling withing a week and a half. I was in rehab and it is one of my main memories. I would have been WAY more upset if I had all my faculties about me. Eventually over a couple months I lost that and about 15 more. Lowest I've been in years and thought I'll never gain this back. Unfortunately I did and more and it's back to Weight Watchers. I think it was the stress of the surgery and meds. For once in my entire life I didn't have much appetite. When it came back it made up for it big time. It's ridiculous. I've always fought it but it's like my body is now making up for anything I didn't eat those few months. GRRRR... Janet

mbeckoff
04-28-2010, 10:58 PM
As a diabetic, is this going to be a problem for me ? Am I going to have to force myself to eat even when I really do not feel like at all?

Melissa

jrnyc
04-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Hi Amanda
i have lost alot of weight now, before surgery, due to using strong pain meds...they kill my appetite...completely wipe it out!
i am told that, after surgery, heavy pain meds are given, at times morphine, or other heavy duty ones... by IV and then by mouth...such drugs usually wipe out the appetite of anyone, especially someone who is in pain and who's body has just been through such trauma!

i need to gain weight for the surgery to happen..
at 94.5 lbs, the surgeon is worried about my nutritional profile...and would also like me to gain some weight in preparation for me losing weight after surgery...

i know that many patients have swelling and/or bloating after surgery...fluid retention...but that can be temporary weight gain...fluid weight is often the fastest to lose...of course, if any of it is from steroid use, (sometimes needed to take inflammation down) or other reasons they use steroids, that is a whole other kinda weight! :rolleyes:

blame the medications when it comes to weight loss connected to surgery....

jess

Back-out
04-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks jess, but I can tell you if it were the meds, I would already have been emaciated (struggling to lose weight). After all, having lost four inches, as Woody Allen once quipped, "I'm not overweight; I'm under-tall!"

That's my story now. Sucks.

I detoxed myself in June from FIVE times a high average dose of hydrocode plus oxycodone. No fun! But no weight loss before or afterwards, either. In fact, when I couldn't sleep during detox (the worst symptom for me), I ate constantly with no appetite - just out of fidgetiness!

I have a latent eating disorder. This is going to be awful for me!

I know you're thin and I sympathize abstractly - must be just as bad as being overweight, especially when you need the weight to be at a thresh-hold to get the surgery you need so much. In fact, one thing prompting this thread is reading one surgeon's' presentation (all were at the top scoli docs' convention from last Sept. San Antonio).

He was discussing prognostic indicators for successful recovery, and one was a good weight. Apparently, some patients post-op require "hyper-alimentation". This can mean either nasty fattening milkshakes or even tube feeding. If the day comes when I need a naso-gastric tube, I'll know I'm ready to cash in!

Not crazy about the idea of cortisone either, having seen (as a psychologist) what it can do a person's sanity/stability. Depression, psychosis. Maybe I seem to be looking for trouble, but I'm one of those people who likes to look right into the abyss before going across the rope bridge! :rolleyes:

jrnyc
04-29-2010, 03:18 AM
i struggled with weight when i was younger...i swear, had i known that pain and pain meds did this, i would probably have gone looking for it! after all, i come from the city where the expression of many women is "no one can be too thin or too rich"!! :rolleyes:

jess

Susie*Bee
04-29-2010, 05:10 AM
I was one of the few who gained weight-- I gained in the hospital and it never came off. That was even with having an ileus for 5 days (so no food or drink during that time). I think it depends at least a little on the type of metabolism you have. I have always gained easily and struggled so hard to lose any. I did not over-eat-- my body just clamps down and says it's in starvation mode or something, and doesn't burn the calories like it should.

Just wanted you to know that not everybody loses weight. I had hoped it would happen with me, but didn't.

Back-out
04-29-2010, 05:32 AM
Susie*Bee,

Cant believe hearing that would cheer me up so, but indeed it did! :D

So. I'll proceed as usual. Meaning once I'm out of rehab, I'll go back to fish, protein shakes, burgers and lots of produce with the nightly glass of wine or champagne to look forward to - if they let me. (Aw shucks, guess the booze will be out for a while thanks to all the opiates. *shudder*).

As long as my S-I-L doesn't try to overfeed me to show her good will! (Hate over-eating to be polite). :)

Snoopy
04-29-2010, 05:33 AM
As a diabetic, is this going to be a problem for me ? Am I going to have to force myself to eat even when I really do not feel like at all?

Melissa

Melissa,

Make sure the doctor who normally monitors your diabetes is aware of your surgery. He/she can suggest things to help control your sugar levels. If you take oral meds or insulin, it might need to be adjsted for awhile. Make sure you or a family member reminds the hospital staff that you are diabetic.

I would suggest trying fruit smoothies or milkshakes if you aren't hungry. At least with the smoothies, you are getting a little bit of fruit and the milkshakes have milk.

Mary Lou

Singer
04-29-2010, 06:28 AM
I've always been a normal weight -- on the slender side but not skinny. Once I started eating again in the hospital (around 4 days post-op), I actually had a pretty good appetite, in spite of all the drugs. Once I got home, I found that I wanted to eat 5 or 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones, which is better for you anyway, and I still tend to eat that way. I lost about 10 pounds and eventually put back 5 of them.

jrnyc
04-29-2010, 10:09 AM
i cant eat with my pain meds...hydrocodone..had to quit the oxycontin...it made me too tired all day...and i went down to 87 pounds on it and got scared!! now i am at 95 pounds, and trying to get up above 100....when i think of how i struggled in my 30's and 40's...and then after menopause it was sooo hard to get rid of the weight i had put on from being on steroids....that darned moon face that wouldnt go away!

at this point, i just have zero appetite...i used to be a real sugar junky...now i dont even crave sugar...sometimes i'll eat it cause it is a pain killer and works on the same part of the brain as antidepressants! what a drug sugar can be!
years ago i read "Anatomy of a Food Addiction" and found out why i craved sugar so much!

i need to gain a litle weight for the surgery, and also get nutritionally fit, per Dr Lonner....

jess

ADMoul
04-29-2010, 10:14 AM
I did not lose weight but have gained some.:( I didn't eat much in the hospital the first few days but kind of forced myself to do fruits and veggies to get things moving. I had major swelling from transfusions/fluids and still have a little in my abdomen/hips. Have always had a healthy appetite and once I was out of the hospital, ate pretty much normally. Even though I'm walking both in and out of the pool and am pretty active, I am still at about 6-8 lbs. above my pre-op weight. Like everything else, it takes time, I guess.

CHRIS WBS
04-29-2010, 11:53 AM
You lose weight because you lose your appetite following surgery. I did not regain my appetite until about the 10th day when I was in rehab. Until then, just the sound of trays with food being distributed in the hospital and rehab made me want to puke. When I was transferred from the hospital to rehab, the first thing they did was take my weight. I had to sit in this weight chair, and I heard the woman say 156. And I thought what, how can that be? I went into surgery weighing 138 pounds; I had not eaten anything in six days so how could I have gained 18 pounds. All the while I kept thinking OMG Iíve just had 18 pounds of hardware implanted in me. My back did feel like I had a 100-pound weight strapped to it. I later learned that they used some other system for measuring weight and the woman miscalculated. I had actually lost 10 pounds. Phew!

theizzard
04-29-2010, 01:36 PM
i don't lose weight or lose my appetite with surgery. Each time I have had surgery I have gained weight and never take it off. This time was no different. It doesn't matter that I don't eat the first couple of days because once home and with less activity (I guess) i gain weight. The only time I have ever lost my appetite was when I was 19 and had hepatitis and back then my doctor told me to eat hard candy, which I did and haven't stopped doing that for 40 years. That was it. I lost weight and thought it was the greatest thing. i just don't lose my appetite no matter what.:D
avis

JenniferG
04-29-2010, 02:37 PM
I didn't lose a gram from the surgery. I was eating on the second day (big mistake.)

But I lost 4 kilos in the first week I had the "withdrawals". I'm slowly regaining that.

Back-out
04-29-2010, 02:46 PM
great to get all this feedback. It's almost a poll! Keep 'em coming.

Say, how much DOES all this hardware weigh lets say for a fusion from T4-pelvic fixation?
I'm someone who takes her shoes off at the doctor's office to get weighed! :p
At least, I want to know how much to subtract from whatever reading they get.

JenniferG
04-29-2010, 03:17 PM
I don't know how much it weighs, but I know my reading glasses are titanium and I chose them because they are almost weightless!

Nitram
04-29-2010, 05:51 PM
I think I lost about 15 pounds. For me, I couldn't really eat much the first 2-3 weeks after surgery, just had no appetite. I've gained about 5 back, guess I need to slow down on the ice cream!

As for weight of the rods/screws....mine are stainless steel for the most part and for some reason I want to say my doc said it's probably about a pound or so...but I don't recall exactly.

Rich

Back-out
04-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks!

Are some titanium and some steel? I thought all the rods were titanium. But the screws - steel? No more MRIs I guess! As for airline security, I guess they need to Xray you.

Nitram
04-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Both titanium and stainless steel instrumentation are used...it's up to the doctor. For me SS was required as they needed as much strength as possible to restore the lordosis in my lumbar spine. I always thought titanium was stronger and as I understand it's harder, but more brittle? Who knows, I asked my dr about it pre surgery and he said for my procedure it had to be SS. I think my cages are titanium, but rods and screws are SS. There are many past threads discussing SS vs titanium if you are interested.

Rich

titaniumed
04-29-2010, 07:47 PM
I lost 40# in 40 days on the percoset weight loss program. Under normal circumstances, I usually eat like a horse, but when the "feed bag" isn't on, I lose weight fast!

I found that I had many reasons to quit the meds. Between the constipation, weight loss, and all the other medications that I had to take to deal with heartburn and such, I decided I had to quit before the opiates killed me. I lost my gall bladder due to not enough fat running through my system. The bile wasnít being released, and cholesterol based stones formed. Once they form, if they do not pass, they just grow. I had several gall stones that were "golfball" sized. Might have been ok, if I was a golfball salesman. LOL This post surgical complication happens in approx 11% of us.

Upon terminating opiates, pain will increase for a few days then taper down. After I was off, and jammed nutrients, I recovered quickly and my problems disappeared. Opiates truly are a double edged sword. Consult with your surgeon about reducing. I did it cold turkey, and experianced withdrawls.

I found that reducing fat was key to losing weight. When I was having gall stone attacks, it seemed that the fat was the catalyst. Upon changing to a gall bladder diet due to being afraid of attacks, I lost 18# in 2 months. I wasnít dieting to lose weight.

When I had my shoulder rebuilt, I didnít need any opiates. I took 1 celebrex and that was it. I keep them on my shelf now to remind me of how dangerous they truly are......I didnít do well with them, and they donít do anything for nerve pain. I used hot water in a bath tub for dealing with that.

I calculated my hardware weight at 1.1#. The figures are posted somewhere on this forum.......Most screws are cannulated which means they are hollow. The use "K" wires for placement using flouroscopy. The I.D. hole is gundrilled and is approx 1/16 dia. Weight of hardware is quite minimal.
Ed

Back-out
04-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks much all! Big help! Very interesting abt the metals Rich and Ed.

Guess that's the end of MRI's then. Ed, I'd like to talk to you sometime about opiates and your experience. I self detoxed in June from a massive dose. Tolerance had developed over four years. What were you taking and how much, how long, when you went off? If you'd rather it be private a PM would be very welcome.

Many thanks:)

Amanda!

TiffanyK
04-30-2010, 09:41 PM
When I was at my last appointment, I asked what hardware he would use. He went into this whole discussion of three different types of hardware. There was titanium, stainless steel, and cobalt chrome. Dr. Vora said it depends on the spine's flexibility as to what he uses. The titanium is more rigid and harder to work with and the stainless steel is easier to bend and used for less flexible spines. The cobalt chrome is more of an in between. Let's just say it was a very informative appointment!

briarrose
05-01-2010, 10:07 AM
I lost about 12 pounds after the surgery. When I came home from the hospital, I had gained about 3 or 4. I weighed myself a few days later and had lost that plus 12 more! I completely lost my appetite and was made to drink those Boost shakes in the hospital. I was also vomiting a lot when I was home. I gained back the weight after about 4 months, unfortunately. My surgeon was nice enough to say that I looked better weighing more than less, though I think he was just being polite :)

Shell

jrnyc
05-01-2010, 03:23 PM
i am still struggling to gain weight now..i am up from Dr Lonner's measure of 94.5 pounds...but only up to 96 pounds...not very muchmore.. it is the hydrocodone...i never take the oxy anymore...

Dr Lonner originally said he would use whatever i wanted, and i opted for titanium...i, too, have titanium glasses...i like liteweight glasses, and it is so true that they weigh nothing!
this last visit he didnt give me a choice ...he just said titanium and that was it...i used to think my back was pretty flexible...i can bend and stuff...til they X rayed me laying down for the bending X rays...WOW...i could barely bend at all...thank goodness for gravity for now!

it is hard to believe that the hardware doesnt weigh more...a surgeon once showed me some of what he wanted to put in my back...something like 2 rods, 16 screws and a cage or two...it looked like alot!!:eek:

jess

titaniumed
05-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Amanda
MRI notes regarding Ti and 316 implants. Titanium is non-magnetic.
Some stainless steels will draw a magnet..... I have seen this myself.

7.) Is there a difference between MRI artifacts of stainless steel, pure titanium, and titanium alloys?
The amount of MRI artifacts is proportional to the magnetic susceptibility, and the size and mass of the spine implant. This explains why pure titanium and titanium implants produce less MRI artifacts when compared to ferromagnetic stainless steel spine implants
http://www.centerforspinaldisorders.com/magnetic-resonance-imaging
================================================== ==============
The drugs? How much did I take? I donít remember.
Good answer huh? LOL

Well first, general anesthesia has about 40 ingredients.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_anaesthesia

Then, after a few days in ICU, they administered Morphine, Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) and Lortab, through multiple IVs and injections. This was for major pain from my multiple corpectomies. Those are very painful as they remove vertebrae. No pca, just shots or IV hits every 4 hours.

I went home after 10 days, I was tired of the hospital, and basically ran out of there. (No not with hoses attached) LOL But close.
Upon switching to Orals at home, I realized that there is no comparison. This is why patients should be on orals before discharge.
Oxycodone 5/325 was taken upon release. I took 2 every 4 hours, and that really didnít cut it. I found that hot 107 degree water in the bath tub worked best for nerve pain. 5 one hour baths per day. I was switched to Percocet's, 7.5/325 and I took 2 every 6 hours. This went on for 6 weeks, then quit cold turkey. I experienced 2 sets of intense withdrawals that lasted about 2-3 days each. The pain increased during this period, then dropped off. I experience 2 sets because I couldnít hang through the first set and gave in. The next week, I tried again and quit.

I was tired of the party. Heck, I'm pretty much a teetotaler. I never took opoids before my surgeries.

I was used to pain from scoliosis through many years... I broke my shoulder right before my scoli surgeries, and didnít even make it down to the hospital... Now, I'm completely pain free. I paid my dues.

Ed

jrnyc
05-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Ed...
wow...i doubt i could tolerate water of 107 degrees! but i admire what you did...and your pain threshold must be incredible! so glad for you that you are pain free now! you sure did earn it!! :)

jess

Back-out
05-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Ed, thank you for your detailed replies! Shame (for me) you don't remember what dose you self detoxed from. I was taking over 120 mg hydrocodone* and about 20 mg cxycodone when I took myself off. WHAT HELL! The insomnia was the worst. Broke furniture and several ribs, falling in that first month due to exhaustion and "akathisia" - antsy feeling. Depressed too. (Pain increase, last!)

I take abt 15-20 mg hydrocodone/day now plus a smidgen oxycodone - I bite a bit of a pill' it's PRN so I figure an approximate dose is OK. To me this is a drop in the bucket. :rolleyes:

* specially compounded to eliminate the Tylenol risk.

jesscv
05-03-2010, 12:07 PM
When I was at my last appointment, I asked what hardware he would use. He went into this whole discussion of three different types of hardware. There was titanium, stainless steel, and cobalt chrome. Dr. Vora said it depends on the spine's flexibility as to what he uses. The titanium is more rigid and harder to work with and the stainless steel is easier to bend and used for less flexible spines. The cobalt chrome is more of an in between. Let's just say it was a very informative appointment!

I have cobalt chrome rods and titanium screws. I had my fusion 13 months ago, and it's funny...my surgeon said cobalt chrome was the "new thing" at the time. I am still curious how much it differs from stainless steel... I haven't had any problems with it, though, so that's good!

LaurieAnne
11-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Did any of you have complications due to weight loss from the surgery? I asked my surgeon about potential risks associated with this and he mentioned SMA sydrome (superior mesenteric artery syndrome). I looked it up and it doesn't sound good. Has anyone had this and is it very likely? Also, how much weight did you loose after surgery? How long did it take to come back? I am vasilating as to whether or not I truly need to gain weight for the surgery. Any thoughts or info?

-Laurie Anne
28 years young
Avid exerciser (until 2 months ago :()
T-68 L-80
Surgery with Dr. Lenke 12/13/10
Most difficult decision of my life

leahdragonfly
11-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Hi Laurie,

I don't tolerate anesthesia or opiates well at all, and had constant nausea and frequent vomiting for 12 straight days post-op, and intermittently for another week. I think that is unusual. I lost about 12 pounds in the first 3 weeks.

Now I am at almost 5 weeks post op, and off all pain meds except tylenol, but my appetite has been slow to return. I can only eat about 1/2 the amount I used to (ate 1/2 a sandwich today for lunch and was stuffed). I am also still very sensitive to any type of heavily seasoned food--all I want is pretty plain stuff.

As far as SMA syndrome, I think it is considered rare. I was actually worried I had it because I was so sick for so long, and because my surgeon put in a very considerable amount of lumbar lordosis, which is listed as a contributing cause. I ended up in the ER a few nights after I went home from the hospital, and I did ask about SMA syndrome, but they just fluffed that possibility off and sent me home after a morphine shot and a nausea pill. I was not pleased that they did not even run any lab work, but what can you do?

I would ask your surgeon if you need to gain some weight.

Good luck,

Gayle

titaniumed
11-14-2010, 06:42 PM
LaurieAnne

Welcome.

I lost my gall bladder probably from not running fat through my system, and had diverticulosis discovered by a radiologist. This was due to constipation from opoids. Ahhh... the constipation subject! We talk about it a lot here.

I was a little heavy for my age and height.... My surgeon wanted me to lose weight as surgeons donít like cutting through fat. I had an anterior. Just make sure you are a normal weight, and eat healthy foods. I grew 4 inches after.

I take it Dr Lenke will do your 80 posterior only?
Ed

ShariMSU
11-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I see this post started in April. Now that I have experienced this I can comment. I lost almost 25 lbs., took me to 120 lbs at 5'9". I looked so sickly and people were afraid for me. But guess what over 5 months or so I gained about 15 lbs. I am at my ideal weight and people comment how healthy I look.

The reason I lost so much weight was first few days there was no solids due to body and bowels adjusting to life. Then I had thrush (infection of mouth and throat) and was in so much pain I didn't eat much for weeks. I think you summed it up, it's just hellasious. Once home I had to eat a little to hold my pain meds. But I just didn't want to use the energy to eat. Just didn't feel like eating and nothing tasted good. At about 3 months I started eating well and gaining weight.

LaurieAnne
11-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks for all your replies. Yes I will be fused posterior and only one surgery necessary (thank God!). I did bring up the weight issue during my pre-op appointment and this was where Dr. Lenke referred to the SMA syndrome. He said gaining a pound or two could help with the risk of developing SMA but didn't give me any specifics as to how much to gain, etc... Weight has been a difficult issue for me over the years and I don't do well psychologically with weight gain. I know this surgery is a big deal and carries serious health risks. I am at a healthy bmi right now of about 18.7 of course if I get taller I guess that will change things. I guess I am just not sure if it's really a big deal or not. I couldn't get a straight answer from my doctor so i'm torn. I worry too about not being able to be very active after the surgery so I guess I think the weight loss would even out. :confused:

JamieAnn
11-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all your replies. Yes I will be fused posterior and only one surgery necessary (thank God!). I did bring up the weight issue during my pre-op appointment and this was where Dr. Lenke referred to the SMA syndrome. He said gaining a pound or two could help with the risk of developing SMA but didn't give me any specifics as to how much to gain, etc... Weight has been a difficult issue for me over the years and I don't do well psychologically with weight gain. I know this surgery is a big deal and carries serious health risks. I am at a healthy bmi right now of about 18.7 of course if I get taller I guess that will change things. I guess I am just not sure if it's really a big deal or not. I couldn't get a straight answer from my doctor so i'm torn. I worry too about not being able to be very active after the surgery so I guess I think the weight loss would even out. :confused:

LaurieAnne,

I am about your age, and I too always try to keep my weight in check. Personally, I let myself gain 5-8 pounds before surgery because I knew I'd take that right off, and I did. I am now 7 weeks post-op and I have maintained my normal body weight. I had nausea and vomiting in the hospital but was actually hungry from day 1 - I never had any issues with weight loss, or gain for that matter.

In order to speed healing and keep my weight in check I am walking a lot almost every single day. I walked 5 miles today (that was actually a little much but I was able to do it!). I am really inspired to keep my "new" body looking and feeling great.

I want to point out though that your body will feel SO different post-op because you will be straight and have a nice new physique. I did not have a huge curve so while I have a nicer waistline, I didn't see a huge change like a lot of people on this forum.

So, in summary I wouldn't really worry too much about the weight. You will be really happy with your new body!

LaurieAnne
11-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your post! How much height did you gain? They have told me anywhere from 2-4 inches. How does your height gain compare to what they told you pre-surgery? What level of osteotomy did you have? I am scheduled for the level 1 (Smith Peterson I think) so I hope that will preserve the gain in height.

-Laurie

LisaB
11-14-2010, 09:09 PM
I lost a few pounds in the hospital but once I started eating I went back to normal. I am at the same weight or maybe only 2 or 3 pounds less. I eat a lot and I like wine. But I'm thinking the walking 2 1/2 miles a day is keeping my weight in check even though I eat like a pig!

dolores a
11-15-2010, 05:53 AM
[QUOTE=LaurieAnne;111368]Did any of you have complications due to weight loss from the surgery? I asked my surgeon about potential risks associated with this and he mentioned SMA sydrome (superior mesenteric artery syndrome). I looked it up and it doesn't sound good. Has anyone had this and is it very likely? Also, how much weight did you loose after surgery? How long did it take to come back? I am vasilating as to whether or not I truly need to gain weight for the surgery. Any thoughts or info?

/QUOTE]

Hi LaurieAnne, I'm so glad you brought this up about the SMA (superior mesenteric artery syndrome)! Have not heard anyone else mention this on this forum, and there not much I could find on it on the computer. I did loose a lot of weight after my surgery and was very concerned about it. Of course I brougt it up with my surgeon on my first check-up after surgery and he mentioned this SMA syndrome, he explained to me that it is something that young kids and teenagers would experience more than adults, though an adult can get a form of it. Something about, if I remember correctly, your duodem (sp) getting very narrow, whereas teens it actually closes up and can be quite serious, they would require surgery to correct this. For me, I went from about 147 lbs down to 117 in just the time I was in the hospital. Thankfully I have gained about 12 lbs. back, but it took a long time and alot of healthy shakes and ensure to get there. Still want to gain another 10 lbs or so.

I also, like Ed, had to have my gall bladder removed, was told it had something to do with (forget what is was called) nutritional IV I was given in the hospital for about a week. I'm assuming this all has something to do with my organs being moved around, as I also had the anterior surgery.

JamieAnn
11-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your post! How much height did you gain? They have told me anywhere from 2-4 inches. How does your height gain compare to what they told you pre-surgery? What level of osteotomy did you have? I am scheduled for the level 1 (Smith Peterson I think) so I hope that will preserve the gain in height.

-Laurie

Laurie,

I am fused from T5-L1, and I gained a little more than a half inch. The surgeon told me I'd gain an inch. He told me after surgery my compensatory curves may continue to straighten out, but at 7 weeks post-op I haven't gained any more height.

JamieAnn
11-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Sorry - I meant to add that my curves were not as severe as yours and I would guess you'd gain 2 inches! You can check out others' results on the forum.

I haven't seen anyone gain 4 inches - I'd be surprised if you gained that much.

Susie*Bee
11-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Just to throw in something from the opposite direction, I gained weight with my surgery. I have a low metabolism. I might have already posted in this thread awhile ago... too lazy to check at the moment. I gained 8 lbs. in the hospital during my 11 day stay (no, not fluids, it never came off). And then even though I wasn't eating very much at home, just stayed about the same. So I ended up with a weight gain. There always has to be an oddball, right Ed??? That was even with not eating or drinking anything the first 5 days in the hospital because of having an ileus. I figure the IV solution was very high calorie stuff. Some of us have no luck at all. I would have loved to lose a few pounds or more... ;) You guys would be proud of me-- been on a diet for the last several months and have lost almost 40 lbs. :cool:

dolores a
11-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Hey Susie, very impressesd, 40lbs lost is a major accomplihment -- how are the grandkids!

LaurieAnne
11-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all your replies! I just wish I could know or predict how my body will react to this surgery. Guess it's just a 'wait and see'. Those who have posted how much height did you gain? This is one of things I am most looking forward too...i've lost over an inch already since high school :eek:

titaniumed
11-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Suzie Bee

They must have had you on rocket fuel in the hospital. lol

I found it so hard to eat on Percoset. I had to force myself to eat a half can of chicken soup. As soon as I was off meds, everything returned back to normal.

Congrats on the weight loss.

You must be busy with all those grandkids in the ďterrible 2Ē age bracket! I can see you with 4 at a time...I knew it wasnít a diet!

Hope the back is fine...
Ed

Susie*Bee
11-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Laurie Anne-- I gained somewhere between 1 1/2 to 2". Not rocket fuel, Ed. Just lousy metabolism. Always has been. My boys aren't in their terrible twos "yet"-- just 18 months. They'll both be here at Christmas. Can't wait! They are both adorable, Dolores. Of course!!! ;) Aren't all little grandchildren????

Doodles
11-15-2010, 10:54 PM
I see that way back in April I responded to the weight gain part of this. I thought it was bad then but now it is like a daily gain beyond anything I've ever had before. I still exercise at least 5 times a week for an hour or more and basically do weight watchers. Someone told me a doctor told them that after a serious illness or surgery your body can react to the initial weight loss by over-compensating later. Well, that compensating is hitting me hard at a year and a half. This is just ridiculous. Anyone have any great ideas?? I have my daughter's wedding to get ready for in June. By the way, just had our second grandbaby last evening and she is a doll! I'm a happy grandma--despite the weight! Janet

JamieAnn
11-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Doodles,

Have you had bloodwork done recently? Could it be a thyroid issue? Seems strange to me - you seem very active!

Doodles
11-16-2010, 08:51 PM
I actually have been on thyroid meds for several years. Had levels checked a couple months ago & they said they were fine. I've wondered about that too.

jrnyc
11-17-2010, 07:39 AM
hi Janet
sending you a private message...

jess

Karen Ocker
11-17-2010, 02:49 PM
During scoliosis surgeries IV fluids and blood are given. When the body has surgery, certain stresses and medications, the pituitary gland secretes ADH also known as anti-diuretic hormone(brand name Pitressin). It causes fluid retention and weight gain. This usually abates after a few days. In the meantime the fluid is stored in the "3rd space" that means the body tissues outside the circulation.

Here is a definition:

http://www.audioenglish.net/dictionary/antidiuretic_hormone.htm

I was shocked when I was weighed a few days after surgery and was 160!!!. I was 143 before the surgery and I certainly wasn't eating that much.

Doodles
11-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Oh, yeah, I remember in the hospital the weighed me and I had gained 20 lbs. I would have been more upset if I wasn't so medicated. That left within a couple weeks and 15 more eventually. Now we are definitely making up all that "lost" ground & more! Grrr. Janet

doodie
11-18-2010, 11:55 AM
I've been one of those people who lose and gain those ten pounds over and over again as I've aged. I didn't have any expectations going into the surgery. While in the hospital I refused to eat or drink anything until day 3 afternoon even though I was given clearance to have liquids on the afternoon of day 2. (Susie*Bee's illius story terrified me!) In the hospital (both times) I ate a little here and there but just wasn't that interested in food. (Hubby and sister said it was good though ;))

It wasn't until I was at home for a day or two that I was absolutely ravenous... for 5 days food tasted so great! Then as quickly as the appetite came back it left again for a couple months. I had my favorite things to eat and had to force myself to eat those. I ended up losing only about 12 lbs. Then the gluten allergy Dx. I gained weight back - my eating was all over the place while I figured out what was going on. Now that I am working again I have lost 10 lbs and it is slowly continuing to drop. I'm not too concerned about it. Seems to be my normal.

What I do like are my new muscles in my 'gluteal region.' With the proper lordosis I have a real rear end! :cool:

Houston Curves
11-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I could not eat prior to surgery...just wasn't hungrt and was busy with the kids. After surgery, I did not eat s I have GERD (one step above aciid reflx). My throught was srill sore from intubtion. That might have been part of it too.

Ann

backissues
11-18-2010, 12:34 PM
I look forward to a new shape in the rear end area. I am flat there.

How long does it take for the sore throat to go away after intabation?

JenniferG
11-18-2010, 02:55 PM
backissues. I didn't have any soreness at all from the intubation. That was one of the things that worried me going in to surgery. I hate a sore throat!

Julie. Love the rear-end! Mine I mean, not yours (I hasten to add!) though I'm sure yours is just lovely! :D

LaurieAnne
11-18-2010, 07:32 PM
During scoliosis surgeries IV fluids and blood are given. When the body has surgery, certain stresses and medications, the pituitary gland secretes ADH also known as anti-diuretic hormone(brand name Pitressin). It causes fluid retention and weight gain. This usually abates after a few days. In the meantime the fluid is stored in the "3rd space" that means the body tissues outside the circulation.

Here is a definition:

http://www.audioenglish.net/dictionary/antidiuretic_hormone.htm

I was shocked when I was weighed a few days after surgery and was 160!!!. I was 143 before the surgery and I certainly wasn't eating that much.

Geez!! Now I'm even more freaked out!?! :eek: Gaining 20lbs!? Does everyone gain weight like that right after surgery? Anyone who's had this surgery, what was your experience???

BadKitty
11-18-2010, 07:51 PM
I was bloated immediately after surgery from all the IV fluids, and in the hospital they kept up the fluids because my blood pressure was really low. After the IVs stopped, I lost the bloat almost overnight, and since I had a terrible appetite from the pain meds I continued to lose weight. I still have trouble with eating because of constipation from the meds, so I can't eat more than a small amount at a time (but when I do eat, I enjoy it). Tonight I had to skip dinner, but hope to manage some yogurt later on. Or ice cream! Yeah!

I hope I can get my appetite back soon! I'd like to be able to eat, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere; thanks, Percoset! Won't be sad to see you go!

My son took a photo of me in ICU ... thanks, sweetie! Like I want to remember what I looked like bloated up and gorked out with a huge needle stuck in my neck! :D

kennedy
11-18-2010, 08:41 PM
well shince my surgery i been lossing wight and gaining back

jesscv
11-19-2010, 05:17 PM
I initially gained a bit and looked 5 mos pregnant with all the swelling (and I'm only 5'3 and 110 lbs to begin with!) but anyway, during the first two months of recovery, I went down to 90 lbs just due to lack of appetite and not exercising (no muscle building). I looked sickly. But, all is good now :)

LaurieAnne
01-14-2011, 06:13 PM
How much does the hardware (rods and screws) weigh?

jrnyc
01-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Suzanne Somers has a new book stating that each person has a particular food that keeps weight on them...you might want to read her book...
just a suggestion...

also, i sent you a private message...

jess

Pooka1
01-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Suzanne Somers has a new book stating that each person has a particular food that keeps weight on them...you might want to read her book...
just a suggestion...

Is it pizza? Cheesecake?

Birthday cake french toast? birthday cake french toast (http://www.thisiswhyyourefat.com/?p=553684361)

Paula Deen's Ladies Brunch Burger? burger (http://www.thisiswhyyourefat.com/?p=1174)

Those are my guesses for 99.9999% of folks. (smiley face)

Elisa
01-14-2011, 07:37 PM
I bet it's my most absolute favourite: Eggs Benedict! *drools*

I treat myself to those at least twice a month... every day if I could. Once when I lived in Victoria I took myself out five time in one week to five different places to see who had the best eggs benny, mmmmm.

jrnyc
01-14-2011, 08:06 PM
she said it was eggs for her, gluten for her husband...claimed they each lost 12-18 pounds when they quit just those foods!

heck, be worth a try...requires a blood test...

jess

karena
01-14-2011, 08:11 PM
It's not just the pain meds that kill your appetite, but the healing that the body is trying to perform takes a tremendous amount of energy. That energy is taken from your body if you aren't eating up to the demands of your healing body. Energy = calories, any way you cut it.

Doodles
01-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Jess--
Which of her books talks about the particular food people have problems with. I checked on line and none of the ones there seem to mention it. It would be interesting to check this out. Thanks. Janet

jrnyc
01-15-2011, 06:38 PM
her brand new book..."Sexy Forever" i think it is called...she's been all over TV plugging it...

jess

Doodles
01-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks, Jess!