out of surgery almost 10 days- question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• out of surgery almost 10 days- question

My surgerywas April 15 and I must say the fusion and the rods have been the easiest part.
    Not everyone will have these complications and they only last a few days. However, tonight i am tired.
    First the unexpected blood loss made me very weak, but this was easy to fix.
    then I contracted Thrush, a mouth and throat infection,, that was horrible, but after meds is almost gone.
    Now today I have come down with the horrible constipation. I have used suppository and that magnesium stuff I read aboutonn here.
    I am scared now that from all the very hard pushing I may have messed up my fusion. Is this possible? I feel find and no reason to think it has.
    Just nervous.
    I have adjusted to my fusion nicely. I know this all takes time and I am blessed it has gone so smoothly to date.
    Any feedback on the pushing during constipation would be helpful.
    I am still very pleased I did the surgery! Just having one of my first bad days.
    Thanks all!!
    Shari B.
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Hi...

I doubt that you could undo any of the implants by means of pushing. You'll find several threads on the topic of constipation, with some good tips on how to get things moving along. Good luck!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Shari!

I agree with Linda, I don't think the pushing should worry you =)

I hear you with the "other stuff" being hard. I got a bladder infection just after I came out of the hospital and some other random stuff, you're right, it makes you tired. Hang in there!

I'm surprised that you say "unexpected blood loss" did you loose more than your surgeon expected? I know that my surgeon and a lot of others will have their patients give blood before their surgery specifically to give back to yourself after surgery.

Good luck with everything aside from the fusion and the rods, lol
      Age 25 at time of correction
      Sergery March 6th, 2009
      T4 to L4

Comment

You are NOT ALONE

There are several things you can do to help - All natural tips - they really work - I have been where you are!!!

Prune juice 4-6 oz 2-3 times a day
        Aloe Vera juice - 4-6 oz 2-3 times a day - CVS has this in the stool softer section of the store also natural food stores have as well

Buffered (powdered vit. C) mix 1 teas with juice - maybe hard to find - health food vit. store - you need extra vit c to heal so it is a good choice

prune/date mix

1 cup large pitted dates, 1 cup large prunes, 1-1 1/2 cups water; put in a pot and boil until it becomes a jelly/jam, puree in blender and eat 1 TB 2-3 times a day. It really tastes great, add to pudding if you need to. AND IT WORKS. USED IT MYSELF!

over the counter - senna: veggie stool softener

Try these and with 24- 48hrs you should be successful without having to push. I did these and they really work, select one or do them all as I did while on the pain pills.

age 43, post surgery 3years, 57 degree curve doing GREAT

Comment

my constipation was so bad, too. I easily looked 5-6 months preggo at two weeks post-op. Finally had to use an enema. iccckkk, but it worked, when NOTHING else did the trick. good luck!

Comment

Shari, I had the same problem but my rods/fusion weren't affected. Good luck getting through that stage, it isn't pleasant, that's for sure.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
            X