New Bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bed

I don't know if I posted this before. But I'm so EXCITED, I got a craftmatic adjustable bed with vibrating massage at a flea market for $70.00. Actually my friend found it and wanted only the mattress, so they kept the mattress and I bought a new mattress for it (memory foam). This bed is my friend! When I hurt, I can come in here and lay down in any position I want to and just relax or take a nap. The only drawback is that I might be spending TOO much time here. It's great!!! So I thought I would post this for anyone else looking for a comfy bed. I would NOT suggest buying one new, as I read the reviews, the company doesn't seem to want to honor the warranties and the beds are pricey (like over $1500 for a standard model). If a used bed grosses you out, do what I did and buy a NEW mattress. Believe it or not, the mattress that I bought was from Wal-Mart and was around $200. It is 3 inches of memory foam on the top and 5 inches of another kind of foam on the underside. It is VERY comfy and I spent less than $300 for a $1500 bed. I just don't know if I will ever be able to give it up, even if I have successful surgery. I'm getting spoiled!
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Wow, that's awesome, Rohrer! So glad for you!! When relief can be found at needed times, it's priceless. And at that price, you have a lot to be comfortable about! I feel like I'm talking in circles. haha. Have a good rest!
    34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
    Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

Originally posted by dailystrength View Post
      Wow, that's awesome, Rohrer! So glad for you!! When relief can be found at needed times, it's priceless. And at that price, you have a lot to be comfortable about! I feel like I'm talking in circles. haha. Have a good rest!
      Yes it is priceless. I'm actually starting to feel good. I have good meds to control the pain and a comfy bed. I'm also using a LOT of ice. Everything seems to be helping. The only problem is, is that I don't want to be on all the meds. I still want the surgery, hoping to stop progression and get off the meds. AND maybe make a baby...when I feel better, of course!
      Be happy!
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Wow, I am so glad you are finding relief!! I have a 3" memory foam topper which has helped me a lot. I read in the "Curves..." book to not sleep on the side the lumbar curve is on and I find that helps, also. I highly recommend that book - the stretches had me out of pain at the first try- no kidding. Curves, Twists, and Bends is the title- Amazon has it. Another forum member is finding it helpful, no two have told me so. I am SO glad you have found some immediate relief.

Comment

That sounds so nice! My boyfriend got a three inch foam mattress topper...he's in grad school, but hopefully it will come back up to NYC with him when he graduates. He had a 75 degree curve and is 2 yrs post surgery, so we are quite the couple .
          ~~~~~~~
          Katey
          24 y.o./F/New York City
          50 degree thoracic curve w/ chronic pain
          No surgery...yet

Comment

Originally posted by chickatey View Post
            That sounds so nice! My boyfriend got a three inch foam mattress topper...he's in grad school, but hopefully it will come back up to NYC with him when he graduates. He had a 75 degree curve and is 2 yrs post surgery, so we are quite the couple .
            Just make sure that if you guys ever decide to have kiddos, keep a VERY close eye on them for scoli. It is genetic and you both have it. Memory foam seems to feel the best for me, and I've tried EVERYTHING! Have a good day!
            Be happy!
            but we are alive today!

Comment

kids

Oh I know it! He is one of four and all four have scoliosis, three had surgery and all wore braces. I'm an only child and unsure of where in my family the scoliosis comes from. We try to keep it light and joke that since his curve went to the left and mine goes to the right our kid will be nice and straight, but obviously it's a concern of ours! We'll cross the bridge when we come to it...I hope technology is better by the time we do have a child should she or he have to deal with this!
              ~~~~~~~
              Katey
              24 y.o./F/New York City
              50 degree thoracic curve w/ chronic pain
              No surgery...yet

Comment

Speaking of not knowing where it came from, I had no known cases of scoliosis in my family, although my mother tells me that her father used to always tell her mother to stand up straight, that she looked crooked haha.

Comment

I didn't know we had any in my family either until I was diagnosed. Then discovered that paternal grandma had it. Then discovered that my neice developed it. Then realized that my maternal aunt has it. Watched my own children for it and my daughter has it. And here we had NEVER even heard of scoliosis or even knew what it was.... I'm sure it's in the family.
                  Be happy!
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

Hmm. Good to be aware of. My grandmother has moved on to heaven so I can't ask her about it, but I will be sure and keep that in mind for my three nieces.
                    Last edited by dailystrength; 05-02-2010, 07:55 PM.

Comment

My sister and I both have it too and we don't know where we got it from. My sister is 12 yrs younger than I, and her curve shape is identical to mine. She was 10 degrees worse than I was at age 15. Its like hind site is 20/20. I was braced, and still ended up with surgery (even though I never was in any pain). I begged my parents not to put her in a brace, so they didn't. She is incredibly healthier than I am, and she's doing good. My trained eye notices how crooked she is, but it will be interesting to see what happens with her since she wasn't braced, and I was. She'll be 21 this summer.

Tiona

Comment

Originally posted by tiona24 View Post
                        My sister and I both have it too and we don't know where we got it from. My sister is 12 yrs younger than I, and her curve shape is identical to mine. She was 10 degrees worse than I was at age 15. Its like hind site is 20/20. I was braced, and still ended up with surgery (even though I never was in any pain). I begged my parents not to put her in a brace, so they didn't. She is incredibly healthier than I am, and she's doing good. My trained eye notices how crooked she is, but it will be interesting to see what happens with her since she wasn't braced, and I was. She'll be 21 this summer.

Tiona
                        Is she bad enough that she will end up with surgery? Do you have pain after surgery? Are you the fellow Dr. Tribus patient? Sorry so many questions. I know bracing is becoming more controversial because it diminishes the quality of life for kids and they end up needing surgery anyway. I'm glad you never had pain with your scoliosis. I have ALWAYS had pain with mine. There are times in my life where it is tolerable and I can get away with mostly over the counter stuff, then there are times like now, where it is unbearable even on the strongest of narcotics. My new bed is a real Godsend even though I still have so much pain. At least I have a comfortable place where I can lay down and lick my wounds, so to speak. I think Linda Racine posted a new thread under research about genetics and scoliosis. It's still quite short, but good info. Hope you get some rest tonight, cuz it's one of those BAD nights for me.
                        Be happy!
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

I've been struggling this weekend too; got a massage last weekend and this. It was a stressful week which I am sure does not help, and I was dancing. My new pattern is: Dance->massage->dance->massage....

One other thing I have neglected to mention is the Lafuma recliner I purchased last fall. My boss had one and I tried it and it was like lying on a cloud-- I have the basic model with padded arms - it advertises "zero gravity" and it really does take the weight off your lower back when sitting, and your upper back is also comfortable. It is my reading chair- I highly recommend it, so you can find relief while sitting also.

Comment

Working...
                          X