Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leg pain debilitating - this does not seem right!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg pain debilitating - this does not seem right!

I feel very depressed. I had weaned down my meds beautifully with no side effects except the pain in my leg got worse and worse. Talked to my surgeon who put me on Neurontin, that has done zero for the pain relief, in fact I've now had to go back on all my percocet, the only pill I've stopped taking is the morning Oxycontin, I still take the nighttime Oxycontin. The Neurontin is knocking me out and I feel sleep and usually sleep when I can for half the day, and then when I'm up I feel this constant searing pain in my right quadricep. This is not a pain that comes and goes, or a numbness, this is searing constant pain. I can't even sit on the toilet comfortably - sorry to be rude! The percocet doesn't take the pain away, and I feel like I'm walking round in a daze and horrible pain all day long - I can't stand it. I had kept up my walking - but after my walk every day my leg feels worse and worse, any suggestions? I have two sons to take care of and my mother is still living here, I can't continue like this sleeping so much and in so much pain. Thinking of telling my surgeon on Monday and asking for xrays or something - this just doesn't feel right.
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

I agree -- you should get checked ASAP. Does it feel at all hot or swollen at the site of the worst pain? (symptoms of blood clot) If it does, you should go to the ER. Otherwise, call your surgeon on Monday. Good luck to you!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Leg pain after surgery seems to be pretty common, and is almost always temporary. Like you, I'm totally knocked out by neurontin. Since you're in your early recovery period anyway, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Increasing the amount of neurontin you take (by doctor's order, of course), may resolve the pain. Or, I think Lyrica has helped others.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Lynette...i think you should definitely tell the surgeon and see what he says...emphasize that it is searing unbearable pain and not just minor pain or tingling...
        i was given neurontin years ago...nothing...i asked the doctor what it was supposed to do...cause it had no effect on me...mustve been a low dose or something...

please call and ask on Monday...if nothing else, maybe surgeon can tell you what it is or reassure you!

hope you feel better soon...

jess

Comment

Could it be that he accidentally pinched a nerve during surgery? You had your lumbar vertebrae fused, right? I hope all is well SOON!!
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Lynette --

I'm so sorry you're having so much pain. Wish I had some answers for you, but I haven't been there yet. I do take 300 mg Neurontin, morning and evening. At times I've thought it wasn't helping me, but when I'd stop taking it, I could definitely tell a difference in my pain level. My dr prescribed Lyrica for me, but my insurance company wouldn't pay for it.

Is there not an after hours and weekend emergency number for your doctor? I do hope you can get some relief soon.

Glenda
            Glenda
            Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
            Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
            Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
            A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
            Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
            Pleased with outcome

Comment

I am wincing just thinking about that pain. Please contact your surgeon. It doesn't sound anything like the occasional leg twinges I had, but it seems bad leg pain is common. I hope it's nothing and it will probably resolve, but I would be wanting it checked if I were you. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Is your Mum able to stay longer?
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Lynette,

I hope that you get some relief soon.

Melissa

Comment

Lyn, i'd call your sugeon ASAP. I had leg pain, pretty much like the one that RitaR explains in her thread, but yours sounds more stronger than that and the fact that it is not intermittent (sp?). Yep, i wouldn't take any chances here, may not be anything but you need to know.
                  Vali
                  44 years young! now 45
                  Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                  Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                  St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                  Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                  Post -op - 5 degrees
                  T11 - S1 Posterior
                  L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Lynette

I'm so sorry about this pain. These things always seem to happen on the weekend.....

Try a hot hot bath. Remember, if you go down to emergency, major distress will get you in quickly. Tell them your pain is a 10.

Soon your struggling will be over. Things will improve soon.
                    Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Okay it's 10:48pm and now I'm worried sick that I have a blood clot in my leg, my mother and children are all fast asleep, and the last thing I want to do is wake my 77-year-old mother up to take me to ER (just in case) I have a blood clot. Do you all think that's what I have? If anyone is on this message board please respond to me - gosh I hate this.
                      Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

I've decided not to let myself worry, I'm going to sleep now and I'll text message my surgeon's personal assistant tomorrow morning telling him exactly what's going on, so good night everyone, and thanks for all your advice and well wishes. Just wish I wasn't such a worry wart!
                        Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

i have a friend who was put on neurontin for post surgical pain and it turned out to be part of her problem. She had severe leg pain and could not stand, then she began to swell in her ankles and that began to spread. Anyway, long story short, the more neurontin she took the worse her symptoms got and when she stopped the neurontin the symptoms went away. It's just a thought. I looked up neurontin when she was going through this and it is a very rare side effect that too much neurontin causes severe swelling. Weird huh? Also, the problems I have heard people complain of with Lyrica are mind blowing. I would rather stick with tried and true old fashioned narcotics.
                          avis
                          1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                          2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                          2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                          Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

I have been on Lyrica for my Fibromyligia for almost 3 years and it has been wonderful for me, much better than neurontin. Neurontin did nothing for my pain.

Melissa

Comment

Lynette,

yes if your pain is so bad, I think a call to the surgeon's office today (Sunday) is definitely in order. I hope you got some sleep.

One other observation, it seems to me that weaning totally off all meds after only 3 weeks seems pretty fast.

Keep us posted.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                              X