It was worth it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was worth it!

Last night I sang in the first of 3 choral concerts I have this weekend. Choral singing is my passion, and I cannot tell you the joy I experienced in being able to stand for the better part of 2 hours without pain. It is so freeing both mentally and physically to know that pain is gone, and I can focus on the positive things in life. People tell me I look different, that my face even looks different and I think it's because that chronic pain/"my God-what-am-I-going-to-do about-my back" syndrome which has ruled my life for so many years is gone. Of course I still have some healing aches and pains and won't know for another month if the parts missing hardware are fusing yet, but I feel like I have been given a new lease on life!

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

That's great!! You're having one of those ultra-fast recoveries people are talking about...! I'm happy for you!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

How exciting. Glad you're doing so well!
      Glenda
      Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
      Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
      Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
      A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
      Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
      Pleased with outcome

Comment

Lorz

Originally posted by ADMoul View Post
        Last night I sang in the first of 3 choral concerts I have this weekend. Choral singing is my passion, and I cannot tell you the joy I experienced in being able to stand for the better part of 2 hours without pain. It is so freeing both mentally and physically to know that pain is gone, and I can focus on the positive things in life. People tell me I look different, that my face even looks different and I think it's because that chronic pain/"my God-what-am-I-going-to-do about-my back" syndrome which has ruled my life for so many years is gone. Of course I still have some healing aches and pains and won't know for another month if the parts missing hardware are fusing yet, but I feel like I have been given a new lease on life!
        That is wonderful to hear! I am new to the forum, but have been reading posts for months. I really can identify with your"My God what am I going to do about my back" comment, because it pretty much describes my life. I would love to ask you more questions, if you are agreeable to such. I have an appt. with Dr. Lonner in June, and am also in PA. Best Wishes for a continued, speedy recovery, and more pain free days ahead!
        Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
        T54/L72
        Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
        Gained 2 inches!
        Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
        12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
        Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

I feel your joy, Anne and totally "get" it!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Anne,

That is such great news and I am so happy for you

Melissa

Comment

Anne...so happy for you! i know you've been through alot!

Lorz...i have been a patient of Dr Lonner for over 5 years while he has followed my curves...just this month he offered to do minimal invasive lumbar for me...something not offered to me just a year ago! i expect to go thru with the surgery within 12 months...i have things to attend to before that, including gaining some weight, as i am down to 94.5 pounds on his scale, from lack of appetite due to pain meds! my discs are really really bad...but he thinks he can fix all of it with fusion as well as a couple of osteotomies and lamenectomies!
              i trust him completely, though, and he is the only doctor i am interested in having...

i didnt see anything in your post about where your curve(s) is/are...do you want to say where you think you will need fusion...? have you tried pain management..?

best regards
              jess

Comment

Anne,

I have not yet had surgery but am familiar with those moments of realizing that you are in a new place, a terrific place, after some mind-wrenching decisions had to be made.

Great to hear, way to go!

Amy
                Amy
                58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                Exercising to correct

Comment

Anne--
                  That is a great story. Very happy for you & wish you well. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Anne, congrats and hugs to you, so happy for you, I really am. As Janet said on another thread, there are just so many happy positive stories on here today all such a pleasure to read,

Bless you
                    Lorraine.
                    Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                    Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

YEAH Anne!! I am so glad things turned out so well for you.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Anne

Isn't it nice to have the balloon pop? That balloon of tension.

I'm happy for you. It only gets better and better.
                        Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Anne, I am so very happy for you! I am in your same place right now, looking forward to all the things I can do now that my back is better...Isn't it such a great feeling?
                          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

It was worth it

Hi Anne, Congrats from me also. I remember singing in a concert the Easter after my surgery and found I could sing a whole step higher! One of the unexpected pleasures. Did you find that with your voice as well?
                            Diane
                            ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
                            T3- sacrum
                            dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

Working...
                            X