PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to share post-surgical success!!!

amae28
04-23-2010, 09:51 PM
I know a lot of people who come to this form are driven here looking for answers because they are unhappy with or unsure about what to do about their scoliosis/kyphosis, etc.

Well, I just wanted to share with you all how I am doing at almost 2 years post-op. I am fused from T2-L2 posteriorly, for kyphoscoliosis. While I admit that the first 6 weeks were really rough, it was all downhill from there. I went back to college full time (I am 22 now, I was 20 when I had surgery), and at about 5-6 months I started to exercise again, as sports were a really important part of my life beforehand (I played basketball mainly).

This past Sunday, I completed my FIRST HALF-MARATHON!!! That's 13.1 miles!! Believe me, I was SO excited when I finished. I placed 12th in my class, with a time of 1:47:42 (that's 8 minute, 14 second miles!) I have been running 30-35 miles a week since January, and my back has never felt better. I feel like it got a lot stronger along the way too. I have also learned to slalom since my surgery.

Anyways, I just wanted to give some hope to other people out there who are nervous about what is going to happen to them after surgery. I know that not everyone has this good of an outcome, but if you really push yourself to get better, it is possible! Check out my 1/2 marathon pictures here----->
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2032880&id=1194900250&l=521a44cd9b

Also, my surgery pictures are here (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2020355&id=1194900250&l=aec279e8c8) if you are interested!!!

Pooka1
04-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Wow you got an amazing correction!

Lenke is an artist.

Congrats on the 1/2 marathon! Very inspiring.

titaniumed
04-24-2010, 01:50 AM
Hi Abbie

You have done well! I just cannot believe how far you run. I'm lucky if I can walk 100 feet across the parking lot to go skiing!
LOL (skiers joke)

Ed

gmw
04-24-2010, 05:40 AM
Abbie -- Thanks so much for sharing your story. How inspiring! :D

Glenda

Vali
04-24-2010, 05:54 AM
I agree with Pooka, that's an amazing correction. What is that 0 degrees?!:):)

debbei
04-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Congratulations on your accomplishment and your excelent surgical outcome!

jsully
04-24-2010, 07:22 AM
Congratulations! That is great news!

golfnut
04-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Abbie,
Congratulations on your marathon and on your straight back. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Was Dr. Lenke your surgeon?

Radiogirl
04-24-2010, 08:19 AM
Abbie, Congrats on your marathon and your fantastic recovery...and for having the guts to go through BOTH! I have to ask you...I had surgery with Lenke almost 4 weeks ago. My curve was 62 degrees thoracic. When I look at myself in the mirror now from the front, I seem to be curved the other way now. My right shoulder used to be higher, but now my left shoulder is higher and I look bent the other way. Do you remember feeling that when you were just 4 weeks post op? I'm hoping it is normal and my body will readjust.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and best of luck to you!

Pooka1
04-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Abbie, Congrats on your marathon and your fantastic recovery...and for having the guts to go through BOTH! I have to ask you...I had surgery with Lenke almost 4 weeks ago. My curve was 62 degrees thoracic. When I look at myself in the mirror now from the front, I seem to be curved the other way now. My right shoulder used to be higher, but now my left shoulder is higher and I look bent the other way. Do you remember feeling that when you were just 4 weeks post op? I'm hoping it is normal and my body will readjust.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and best of luck to you!

Your body will most likely readjust over the next few months. I saw it happen twice so I'm fairly confident in saying this. :)

My one kid was despondent over the change in high shoulder before and after surgery and was hammering me over it. The surgeon said it would settle and it did. She is even. Both kids are even.

Susie*Bee
04-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Yay, Abbie! I am soooo proud of you and your accomplishments. And I was so surprised so much time has passed by! I have your pic in my scrapbook, you know! ;) Keep up the great work-- and thanks so much for letting us all know! Hugs, Susie

ADMoul
04-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Good for you, Abbie, that's amazing. Congratulations for having the courage to do this while you were young and could get such a successful outcome!

loves to skate
04-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Abby,
You look amazing. Thank you for sharing your photos. They brought tears to my eyes. It reminded me of when I went back to roller skating a year after my surgery. You are so beautiful in so many ways. Take care of that beautiful body of yours and enjoy the life you so richly deserve.
Sally

JenniferG
04-24-2010, 04:07 PM
That's fantastic news Abbie!

Radiogirl, I too now have the opposite shoulder higher than the other. Where as I was once wedged on my right side and sloping down in that direction, my right shoulder is now higher. I still have a 22 degree curve (down from 68) so I don't expect to be 100% straight, but I wasn't expecting to lean in the other direction!

It doesn't have any affect on me, and it's not noticeable to others, so I'm ignoring it - afterall I ignored my scoliosis for about 45 years, I can ignore this!

twinsmom
04-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks and Congrats! I have told my soccerr/basketball daughter that she is and has been capable of playing and getting back to her base with hard work and effort. I will share this with her in hopes she feels the same way I do about your accomplishment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doodles
04-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Abbie--
That's what I call an amazing recovery! Congrats and keep walking! Janet

Lorraine 1966
04-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Abbie, wow what an absolutely wonderful correction. Also your Marathon, I am sitting here with a dopey grin on my face so, so pleased that the younger ones of this forum can read an up to date positive story, like yours.

It will give them hope and let them know that there is a wonderful life after surgery, I knew that, but now you have put your self out there for all to see, I am so incredibly proud of you. Congratulations.

Lorraine,. (Macky)

walid
11-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Very encouraging to read your story ... my son is presently in traction for his advanced kyphosis but there is a degree of scoliosis in his spine as well. I remain super positive and know that although we have a lot ahead of us the team here at the shriner's spokane hospital is amazing and we are in not only the hands of expert surgeons ... we also have a very compassionate and loving team supporting the surgeons and us - the best kind of healers in my books. I wish you continued success and happy days.