Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KYPHOSIS (Posterior only versus Anterior Release)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KYPHOSIS (Posterior only versus Anterior Release)

I was fused T1-L1 in Nov 2007 for a 59 degree kyphosis. I was 44 degree post op. My surgeon was by Dr LLoyd Hey of the Hey Clinic in Raleigh.

I have spent every second of every day fighting against the position I was fused in. I have a c-shaped claw (rods) screwed to the back of my spine that causes me to look down at the ground. The only way I can stand up straight is to contract my hip flexors (pot belly & protruding buttocks).

I have doubts about successful surgical treatment of kyphosis. If the length of the spine is governed by the anterior ligament band that runs the length of the front side of the spine, then any attempt to lengthen a section of the spine will result in a compensatory shortening of the non-fused section of the spine thus resulting in junctional kyphosis and/or hip flexor contractions.

It would seem to me the only way to lengthen a spine is to release this ligament that is causing the spine to compress into a kyphotic state.

My surgery was strictly a posterior surgery.

You may be right. My surgeon is doing a minimally invasive anterior release and then a posterior surgery, all while I lie on my stomach. Are you thinking of revision surgery?

Comment

Working...
    X