Surgery will be here soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery will be here soon

I know my surgery isn't until June 17, but that's right around the corner. In the mail yesterday, I received my insurance prior-authorization and today I received pre-op instructions and what to expect type info from the doctor's office. It's really starting to sink in now and my nerves are starting to get the best of me.

Congratulations and good luck Jenny. Mine is about 1 week before yours either the 10th or 11th of June. Keep in touch if you want to talk.
    Janet
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Hi Jenny and jsully-

All of our surgeries are like a few days apart and we are close in age. Mine is June 8th and is also right around the corner. My nerves are getting to me too. I am very anxious about it as well. We should all keep in touch!! I booked my date all the way back in November so I have been waiting for a long time. I just want to get this all over with! I am 31 years old now and have been waiting like 15 years to do this! The anxiety is really kicking in... For the past 2 weeks I have been waking up in the middle of the night with dreams of me being in the hospital, and I can see my surgeon's face in my dreams.

My first blood donation is May 11 and then May 25. Are you girls donating your own blood?

I know you girls have young kids too just like me. I am really worried about the day before my surgery. I know I will burst into tears saying goodbye to them. I have never left them overnight before. My 5 year old son keeps asking, "mommy, is today your surgery?"

Anyway, keep in touch! I'm sure I will be posting alot in the next 6 weeks!!

Take care,
      JenM
      Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
      Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
      Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
      Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
      31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

That is funny when I went to the DR the other day my son asked when my husband and I picked him up from school, "did mommy get her back fixed?", he is six. No I am not donating my blood. My DR thinks I will need more blood if I do that. He said my husband can donate for me. I am 0+ and he is O-(the universal doner). Definately keep in touch. I am doing OK now but as it inches closer I will probabally be a basket case! I will also miss my children terribly and the hospital is 45-60 min away
        Janet
        36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Do we have a Jen, Jen, and Jan?

In June?

Whoaaaaa.....
          Amy
          58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
          Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
          Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
          2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
          Exercising to correct

Comment

Believe so!
            36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Another 3 musketeers in June. I am one week out from surgery today. I had a two month wait for my surgery. I can truly say that the anticipation and planning were more anxietous than the actual surgery. Please feel free to send me any specific questions.
              Pre planning was key to me. Each nurse or tech I that worked with me day of surgery asked "are you a nurse"? They indicated I was asking great questions and knew so much about what was happening. I explained about the forum and how much I learned.
              Loss of blood during surgery was a big challenge for me. I lost 4 units, they replaced 4 and then 2 days after surgery replaced 1 more. I was so run down and weak. Felt much better after I received transfusion.
              I also now understand more about people saying that its painful to sit too long. I can only sit about 10-15 minutes before pain is an issue.The really great thing is that the pain I had before surgery was "pain". What I have after surgery is more stiffness and soreness.
              I am sure you will all have very successful surgeries in June. Use May to connect with friends and family and prep for your recovery. You will need family and friends support more than ever.
              I finally got on here and now I am rambling....
              Take care and let me know if you have any questions.
              Good luck to you all, it's great to be on the other side!
              Shari B.
              Shari - 55 years old
              Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
              Post op 13 degree curve.
              Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
              2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
              Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
              www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

My surgery is June 8th as well, so I guess we have a Jen, Jen, Jan and Joy!

Comment

I believe if your husband is donating blood for you, you need to be sure you will not be having any more kids.
                  Patty 51 years old
                  Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                  Posterior T3- L4
                  Pre surgery curves
                  T-53degrees
                  L-38degrees
                  and a severe side shift to the right.
                  Post surgery curves
                  Less than 10 degrees
                  Surgery April, 2006
                  C4 - C6

Comment

No more kids for me! Tubes are tied. My boys are 6-7 and are all I can handle, WILD!
                    36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Good luck, Jen, Jen, Jan, and Joy. The anticipation can get to you, I'm sure. By the time my surgery rolls around, I will have waited 10 months. I am worried about leaving my two miniature schnauzers for a week, but seeing that you girls are leaving children, I can really sympathize.
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

JenM - sent you an email back, did you ever get it?

Janet - I think being a nurse makes everything worse. We know "too much."

My daughter will be 4 next weekend and she keeps asking when is the surgery to get my back straight. The day before, I think we are doing an outing (maybe to the zoo or Edventure) with the kids and my husband. I want to work out who will be keeping the kids (my mom, his parents, at our house, etc.) on what days type of stuff NOW and my husband keeps telling me not to worry it will all work out. That makes me worry even more!

Comment

Working...
                        X