Home and on the other side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home and on the other side

Hi all - I know my husband posted a few updates since my surgery, one week a go today, April 15. As each person has said I can't believe a week has already gone by. There are so many similiarities to the process and recovery. There is a comfort in that. I also had complications of blood loss that was not expected. This made me very weak and light headed for the first 3-4 days. I also came down with something called Thrush, a type of fungus from being on antibiotics. After a prescription rinse for my mouth that too is clearing. That was more of a bother for me than the actual surgery.
    Being home is good. My sweet husband has spent the last 24 hours trying to make everything perfect for recovery. Can't say enough about an elevated toilet seat. After one night sleeping my bed, we ordered a hospital bed for our main level. That was a huge positive with my mobility.
    My team of doctors, my husband and my mom can't believe the correction that was achieved. I look so very straight. I haven't been able to see alot myself yet. My spinal region is still very numb. Each day is amazing at how strong I get. I still tire very easy.
    I am already getting whipped here so will sign out for now. But am glad I have gotten this surgery done.
    Know I need my body to adjut to sleeping at night. Body is confused when to sleep. I don't get much more than 1 1/2 hours at a time.
    Good night, chat again soon. Sorry if there are typos here I didn't play close attention and am still on my pain meds.
    Shari B.
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Shari it's so fantastic to hear from you and to hear how great you're doing, and I'm so happy to hear you had such a great correction. Sleep well - and I can't wait to hear more from you. By the way I have the same sleep problem as you - waking every 1 1/2 hours or so.
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Congratulations, Shari...glad you are home and can heal and rest in your own space! may your healing be uneventful and rapid...

best regards
      jess

Comment

Congratulations Shari! You will probably find it better at home in your own environment. Sorry to hear that you aren't sleeping well. Is this due to the pain? Sleeping is the best cure i think. In my first two weeks home i drifted in and out of sleep during the day and then sleep anywhere between 9-11pm until about 6am. Are you doing your walks yet? They will certainly make you tired. Once again, best wishes on a speedy recovery!
        Vali
        44 years young! now 45
        Surgery - June 1st, 2009
        Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
        St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
        Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
        Post -op - 5 degrees
        T11 - S1 Posterior
        L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

yeah! glad to hear you're doing well. =)

Comment

Welcome home Shari! I've been reading your blog and I have to say that your husband has done a great job updating the progress from your surgery and recovery. Here's to each day getting better and better.

-Laurie
            Laurie
            Age 57
            Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
            Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
            Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
            Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
            Dr Munish Gupta
            UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Wonderful to hear from you, Shari! So glad you're home and getting the best of care from your husband. There ought to be some kind of award for all of our family members who go through this with us. Hope your complications are easing off somewhat. I can certainly sympathize with the blood loss and the rough nights. Fortunately, my body seemed to handle all that NY blood just fine (although my husband was afraid it would turn me into a Yankees fan) Anyway, just wanted to send good thoughts and encouragement. Every day will get a little better.

Anne in PA
              Age 58
              Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
              T4 to sacrum fusion
              63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
              Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Glad you are doing so great with your recovery!!
                36 year young cardiac RN
                old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Good to hear from you Shari and glad your doing so well! I too am having the same sleep problem...I'm 5 weeks post-op and still can't sleep more than 1 1/2 hours at a time!

Rich
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
                  A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
                  Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

ahhhh...Anne...love to have you on our Yankees team....didnt Dr lonner tell you...no patients allowed in NYC hospitals unless they convert! not to the Mets, either...only Yankee converts allowed!

hope you are healing well...

jess

Comment

Shari--
                      So good to hear directly from you--you must be doing great! Keep up the good work and so happy you are home. Janet
                      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

thanks

thanks for all the nice notes. I am one week out of surgery today, and sleep alot. I now know what people said about not sitting up for very long. I can't recommend enough getting a small hospital bed. I do walk around the house every hour.
                        My spine is still somewhat numb feeling, but does not look as swollen as I feel it is.
                        My thrush infection is cleary about, another day or two to mess with that.
                        Again, this has tuckered me out so off to sleeply land. Walked around inside the house first. I showered today at home, and once at the hospital before coming home. Very tiring! Maybe an every other day or two thing.
                        If you want to ask any detailed or specific questions, please feel free to send through the forum.
                        Shari B.
                        Shari - 55 years old
                        Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                        Post op 13 degree curve.
                        Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                        2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                        Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                        www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Hi Shari,

Welcome home from me as well. Take your time to heal. Just know that the recovery goes faster than you can imagine at first.

Take Care,
                          Shari

Comment

Working...
                          X