Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idipathic v Scheurmanns Kyphosis

Hi all,
    Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Idiopathic and Scheurmanns kyphosis. I thought that Scheurmanns was distinguished by having wedge shaped vertebrae. I have wedge shaped vertebrae, but I reread my letter from the consultant last night and it says I have Idiopathic Kyphosis.

I have only began reading about surgeries and as I understand it, you are more likely to get junctional kyphosis following surgery with Scheurmanns (even exclusively). Is this true?

Thanks for your help in anticipation

Hi,

Sorry, I don't know the difference between Idiopathic and Scheurmann's Kyphosis.

I'm not sure if you are more likely to have junctional Kyphosis with Scheurmann's, but my daughter has Ideopathic Kyphosis (and Scoliosis) and she developed junctional Kyphosis after her surgery.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by fandango View Post
      Hi all,
      Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Idiopathic and Scheurmanns kyphosis. I thought that Scheurmanns was distinguished by having wedge shaped vertebrae. I have wedge shaped vertebrae, but I reread my letter from the consultant last night and it says I have Idiopathic Kyphosis.

I have only began reading about surgeries and as I understand it, you are more likely to get junctional kyphosis following surgery with Scheurmanns (even exclusively). Is this true?

Thanks for your help in anticipation
      Hi...

My understanding is that Scheuermann's is idiopathic. It's defined by wedge-shaped vertebrae, but the cause of the wedging is unknown.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Fandango,

My son has non-Scheurmanns kyphosis, and my understanding has been that if you have any kind of kyphosis, you're more at risk for junctional kyphosis.

Here are some of the risk factors:

"The PJK-inducing factors included greater than 10 degrees intraoperative decrease in thoracic kyphosis, thoracoplasty, the use of a pedicle screw at the top vertebra, autogenous bone graft and fusion to the lower lumbar vertebra" from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20106476

And, I can't find the other paper I had on the topic, but that one said that the risk is higher in men.

Comment

Ah, here's the other one.

Summary: "CONCLUSION: Two-year postoperative PJK prevalence in AIS following 3 different posterior segmental spinal instrumentation and fusion surgeries was 27%. A larger preoperative thoracic kyphosis angle, greater immediate postoperative thoracic kyphosis angle decrease, thoracoplasty, and male sex correlated significantly with PJK. There were no significant differences in Scoliosis Research Society Patient Questionnaire-24 outcome-scores between the PJK and non-PJK group."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18007253

Comment

wow! that sounds like a high percentage of people get junctional kyphosis. So those people then need revision surgeries to extend the fusion? And then..?

Comment

Surgery was recommended for my daughter to extend her fusion, but we decided to watch and wait. Thankfully her Kyphosis has not increased. And we pray that over time it won't increase.

Mary Lou
              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
              X