Surgery in about 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery in about 6 months

Silly question but I does anyone know if I can continue to sleep on my memory foam mattress after I get released to go home?
    Sandie
    Fusion is scheduled for November 4, 2010
    T10 - S1

Unless your surgeon is unusual, there will be no restrictions on the type of mattress on which you can sleep.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Yeah! Thank you so much!!!!
      Sandie
      T10 - S1

Comment

Mattresses

Hi Sandie,
        My husband and I got an 11" memory foam mattress two years before my surgery so I was really used to sleeping on it and loved it.

After the surgery it felt very hard and firm to me so we got a 3" topper to put on and that first night I nearly cried it felt so good - like falling asleep on a cloud. We are still using the topper a year later and my husband loves it too. We tried a night without the topper awhile back but felt it was too hard now that we are used to a little more cush.

My surgeon said he had no preference as to what his patients sleep on - as long as I was comfortable and able to sleep.
        Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
        Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
        Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
        A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
        Achieved +70% Correction
        Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
        New Spine 03/19/2009
        New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

surgery in 6 months, too

Sandie,
          My surgery is in 6 months, too. We'll have to keep in touch. Do you think about it every day? I've known since Dec. and think I obsess over it, but the forum really helps.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I'm sorry, I haven't been on here in a while. I think it would be great to keep in touch. Yes, I think of it quite often. I'm scared but also excited.
            Sandie
            T10 - S1

Comment

Sandie,
              My pre-op was moved from Sept. 15 to August 18th, so I need to get my questions organized. The reality of it all will probably hit me that day. They said to plan on being at the hospital the whole day. Not fun, but, necessary.
              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Oh wow! Are you getting more nervous as the time get closer? Just by going off of what most people are saying on here I'm sure once it's all said and done that you'll feel so much better! Just keep positive!
                Sandie
                T10 - S1

Comment

Sandie,

I am extremely nervous, especially because I can do everything I enjoy now with little pain. I know I have one of the best surgeons and have total faith in him and his recommendation for surgery. I find myself counting the months AFTER the surgery thinking, "Okay, I will have hopeufully turned the corner of the most painful weeks by Thanksgiving." "I should be able to drive again some time in December and walk laps at the track at the YMCA." "By next May, I will walk the golf course and chip and putt." I'm just trying to stay positive.
                  Did you notice the thread I posted yesterday? It was concerning a link to "Preparing for Scoliosis Surgery". I printed it out. It has a lot of good information for getting things in order. I know I have plenty of time, but I want to be organized as much as possible before the big day in Nov. Where is your surgery and what is the date?
                  Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

I hope you don't mind me butting in for just a second... I'm both excited and anxious for you, having walked in those shoes awhile back myself. In regards to your preparing for surgery...You may already have the book by David Wolpert, Scoliosis Surgery: The Definitive Patient's Reference, but if not, it has a really helpful appendix on getting your home ready for those first few weeks/months of post-op living. It also answers a lot of other questions about scoliosis surgery and recovery. The only "caveat" I would ever say is that it, by sheer nature of how it has to be, is an "in general" book and so cannot be specifically what it will be like for each of us. The other is that I think it is more in tune with how it goes for the generally younger crowd, as far as recovery times go. Regardless, I found the book invaluable, read it several times before my surgery, and even took it to the hospital with me. (No, I didn't open it up there...) And if you've already talked about it in another thread, I apologize-- I don't keep up that well any more. Best wishes to you both!

I meant to add that it's available through the NSF site...
                    Last edited by Susie*Bee; 06-17-2010, 11:44 AM. Reason: add about ordering the book through NSF
                    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Susie Bee,
                      I have read it a couple of times and plan to read it again before my surgery (and afterwards, as well.) Dr. Lenke's office recommended it. Thanks for recommending it, too. Maybe someone else will see it on this thread and order it. I recommended it to someone a few months ago and got a personal email from David Wolpert thanking me.
                      Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Good!

Have to laugh... I tried to just say "good" with the smile, but got a message back that it was too short. That is a new one, for long-winded me.
                        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I know what you mean by "preparing". I have done so much reading and research it's crazy! But I'd rather know as much as possible before I have it done. I can't schedule mine until September. My dr had told me whenever I'm ready but at the moment I'm doing quite a bit of fundraising for the Walk Now for Autism Speaks walk (in honor of my son) which is on Halloween this year. I decided that since I've dealt with this pain for this many years I really don't think it'll hurt to wait until after the walk. I'll probably have it done in November. I live in Phoenix, AZ and I'm not sure whether he'll do my surgery at the specialty surgical center or at Arrowhead hospital. I understand what you mean about the after surgery prospects. I thinking about it too. I just keep telling myself that there's really no "good" time do have it done where it won't interfere with something! I did read your thread yesterday and there is definitely a lot of great advice and information.
                          Last edited by Sandie_76; 06-17-2010, 04:03 PM.
                          Sandie
                          T10 - S1

Comment

Originally posted by Sandie_76 View Post
                            I know what you mean by "preparing". I have done so much reading and research it's crazy! But I'd rather know as much as possible before I have it done. I can't schedule mine until September. My dr had told me whenever I'm ready but at the moment I'm doing quite a bit of fundraising for the Walk Now for Autism Speaks walk (in honor of my son) which is on Halloween this year. I decided that since I've dealt with this pain for this many years I really don't think it'll hurt to wait until after the walk. I'll probably have it done in November. I live in Phoenix, AZ and I'm not sure whether he'll do my surgery at the specialty surgical center or at Arrowhead hospital. I understand what you mean about the after surgery prospects. I thinking about it too. I just keep telling myself that there's really no "good" time do have it done where it won't interfere with something! I did read your thread yesterday and there is definitely a lot of great advice and information.
                            Sandie,
                            Obviously, it's important for you to be involved in the Walk Now for Autism Speaks. Dr. Lenke had a 10 month waiting period which was fine with me. I wanted one more summer of playing golf. If he called tomorrow and said there was an opening in August, I wouldn't take it. Like you said, there is no time that you won't miss out on something. Let us know when you set a date.
                            Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                              Sandie,
                              Obviously, it's important for you to be involved in the Walk Now for Autism Speaks. Dr. Lenke had a 10 month waiting period which was fine with me. I wanted one more summer of playing golf. If he called tomorrow and said there was an opening in August, I wouldn't take it. Like you said, there is no time that you won't miss out on something. Let us know when you set a date.

So true! I definitely will. Please keep me posted on yours as well.
                              Sandie
                              T10 - S1

Comment

Working...
                              X