hi, I'm new here and preparing for surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi, I'm new here and preparing for surgery

Hi, I'm Lili and I'm 15 years old. I have a 50 degree upper curve and a 29 degree lower curve, and my surgery date is October 25. I'm having a posterior spinal fusion from T4 to L2, I think.

These boards seem like a great, supportive place, and its been very informative and interesting reading the various threads.

Today was my pre-op, and it made everything seem so much more real. I'm worried about the surgery a little, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips to make the hospital stay easier. What was it like? How bad was the pain?

Also, how was going back to school? I'm a sophmore this year, and I'm kind of worried about missing so much school. Also, how bad is it to be pushed around a little bit after surgery? I go to an overcrowded school, so the halls are often full, and you get pushed around from all the people.

Thanks!
    -Lili
    formerly:
    50* upper curve
    29* lower curve

surgery was October 25- doing great!

Hi Lili,
    Let your school know before you go in to hospital. They can arrange work to be sent home or a tutor for you. In my daughters case they allowed her to leave class a little early an/or arrive a little late so that she would not have to be in the hallways when they are crowded.
    When you are in the hospital you will be on a lot of pain medication so it shouldn't be too bad. By the time you are ready to home the worst of it is over and you will be able to find 'comfortable' positions where it doesn't hurt. I'm not saying there will be no pain, but it will be manageable. Mind set plays a big part as well, if you think 'it is going to hurt' you will tense and it will hurt. They more relaxed you can be you less pain you will have and the easier it will be to deal with. Easier said than done I know.
    Best wishes.
    Cheryl.

Comment

What to expect!

Hi Lili! My name is Ross. I'm 15 years old. I had the posterior surgery 4 weeks tomorrow. I had a left thoracic curve at 40*, and Scheuermann's Kyphosis Disease at 78*. There is nothing to worry about with the surgery. The only thing is the pain. I don't want to scare you or anything, but there will be some pain after surgery. The log-rolling will hurt. But, there is a good side. Even though you won't believe it after surgery, but the pain does get better. If the surgeon gives you a TLSO brace, I think that the brace might protect your back from people hitting it. But, since I had the Scheuermann's Kyphosis Disease, the surgeon had to fuse the front part of the spine, so I have to wear a Jewett brace. Well, I hope that everything goes well! If you need anything, my email addy is hard_roc_child08@hotmail.com . Good Luck! Ross
      Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
      www.myspace.com/ross40728
      Had surgery on 9/20/04
      81* Scheuermann's Disease
      40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
      U Rod Inserted
      Fused from T2-L3

Comment

Thank you for replying. I am still nervous, but I am feeling very reassured. I actually feel quite prepared. Thanks for helping me with that.

My teachers have also been very nice and they're preparing for my absence. They're planning to send assignments once a week. I think that everything will go smoothly, and thanks again!
        -Lili
        formerly:
        50* upper curve
        29* lower curve

Comment

Hi Lili,

My daughter is 13 and her curve sounds a lot like yours. Her curves are 53 and 35. Just wondering how you made out , and how you are feeling post-surgery. I hope you're feeling great!

Susanna
          Susanna
          ~~~~~~
          Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Hi, susannajon, thanks for replying. I've been home since Saturday night. I'm having pain, but it is tolerable (with the help of Vicodin). My surgery went really smoothly, and i'm adjusting to my new back.

My only hitch, which i haven's heard anyone mention here, was panic attacks in the hospital. I have a history of anxiety, however, so it may have just been me. Also, I was in a pretty bad situation for about a day- I had a roomate who was really sick and kept stopping breathing and stuff, and it really scared me. Luckily that was sorted out, and everything was fine. I'm really happy to be home.
            -Lili
            formerly:
            50* upper curve
            29* lower curve

Comment

Hi Lili...

Are you wearing a post-op brace? I've known about half a dozen people who had panic attacks after their surgeries. Most seemed to think it might be because of the tightness of the brace. That sounds reasonable, but I'm guessing it could also be because of all the difference chemicals that you're loaded up on.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Lili,

So glad you made out well. It's so encouraging to hear from people who have come through this scary surgery so well. I wish you a quick and relatively pain free recovery. Sorry to hear about your frightening roommate experience. That must have been so hard worrying about her while you were recovering yourself. I had major surgery myself not too long ago, and my roommate was having a tough time too. I couldn't sleep because my "mom" instincts had me awake all night listening to her struggle to breathe... not that I could have moved to help her!

Anyhow, so glad you're home in your own bed now!

Susanna
                Susanna
                ~~~~~~
                Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Don't worry

Hi. My name is Kimberley. I have had scoliosis surgery before. I had it in 2000. I was very scared at first but it wasn't that bad. I have had 2 smaller surgeries since then because of problems. I had a 96 degree curvature in my upper back. I have a fused spine and I had 2 rods in my back. I am going in for another one November 29, 2004. I have to get the other rod out and maybe some other things done. I don't like it since i love to ride and it is hard to not ride for a year. I hope it doesn't hurt too much. If you have any questions just email me. At kimberley_gayle1@hotmail.com

Comment

Re: Don't worry

Originally posted by Horselover
                    Hi. My name is Kimberley. I have had scoliosis surgery before. I had it in 2000. I was very scared at first but it wasn't that bad. I have had 2 smaller surgeries since then because of problems. I had a 96 degree curvature in my upper back. I have a fused spine and I had 2 rods in my back. I am going in for another one November 29, 2004. I have to get the other rod out and maybe some other things done. I don't like it since i love to ride and it is hard to not ride for a year. I hope it doesn't hurt too much. If you have any questions just email me. At kimberley_gayle1@hotmail.com
                    Hi Horselover--
                    After your first spinal fusion when the 2 rods were placed in your back, how long was it until you could ride again? I had my surgery one year ago on Saturday the 13th, and I have stayed off horses for a year. I'm hoping to start back up after the first of year.
                    Thanks
                    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
                    "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Comment

Hi Lili,

Just thought I would check in on you and see you you're feeling. Have you had any more problems with anxiety? Are you sleeping OK? jc3's daughter (nicole) just got home from the hospital a couple of days ago, and she's doing pretty well. Anyhow, just wanted to see how you are feeling. Take care of yourself!

Susanna
                      Susanna
                      ~~~~~~

Comment

HI racin2win

Hi
                        I could not ride for a year. Because of the fusion. I just started riding as soon as my year was up. So if it has been a year since you had your surgery then I would say either just start riding or ask your doctor what he thinks. I hope you have fun.
                        Kimberley
                        You can email me if you like. My email is posted there with my other replies

Comment

Working...
                        X