mums having surgery, with young children to take care of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mums having surgery, with young children to take care of

Hi, I noticed on another thread that JennyM and JennyRM are in their 30's and approaching surgery with young children to look after.

I am 37 with a 4 1/2 year old daughter and have just made the decision (I think) to have surgery. Now I am pregnant! - we wanted another and I didn't want to wait until after surgery and recovery as I felt that was too old for me and too big an age gap for the children. My surgeon said he would want to wait until at least a year after I have given birth before he operated. There is another poster who went ahead with surgery a year after having a baby. It sounds like she is doing great.

I was thinking I might wait until the little one is 2 or 3 (because then you have to carry them much less) depending on how much pain I am in after pregnancy.

I thought this thread would be good for mums of little uns to share our worries and experiences x
    Last edited by fandango; 04-16-2010, 05:16 PM.

That is sort of my dilemma. I don't have little children, in fact mine are grown. However, my husband and I have been going through fertility treatments to try to have a child. I'm 41 and I feel time is running out. My scoliosis has just decided that it was going to progress after being stable all of my life. Now I want to have the surgery, for pain reasons, then hope I'm still young enough to try. I do have a 19 month old grandson that lives with me. This poses a challenge for me, too, even though his mother (my daughter) also lives with me and pretty much takes care of him. He is going through this phase where he walks up to people and slaps them on the back. We are having a hard time breaking him of this, as he thinks it is a game. I think your topic is very appropriate, and congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope you don't have too much pain. I always felt great during pregnancy even though I have suffered with pain my whole life. It was always that last month that was the hardest to deal with. Best wishes to you, and take whatever support you are offered. I will tell you from experience with my grandson, that lifting in and out of the car seat can be very painful. So get the hubby to do it, or older siblings if there are any.

Congrats again!
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

I had a surgery date set and also found out I was pregnant. Since then my support system (my inlaws who were retired and would help me) both passed away. Due to this I have waited until now. My boys are 6 & 7. I think it depends on how much support you have because a child does not understand why you cannot pick them up ect. In fact, I still think my boys will have trouble understanding but I am trying to prepare them now and they will have to learn to be a little more self sufficient. Good luck with your decision!
      Janet
      36 year young cardiac RN
      old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
      new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
      Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
      Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
      and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Hi...

Putting kids into carseats can be horrendous if one has a bad back. If you have a great outcome with no lower back pain, and have proper lifting mechanics, it's doable. If it were me, I'd wait until the kid could get itself in and out of car.

Best of luck with your pregnancy.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
          Hi...

Putting kids into carseats can be horrendous if one has a bad back. If you have a great outcome with no lower back pain, and have proper lifting mechanics, it's doable. If it were me, I'd wait until the kid could get itself in and out of car.

Best of luck with your pregnancy.

Regards,
          Linda

Ditto from me on this one.
          Vali
          44 years young! now 45
          Surgery - June 1st, 2009
          Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
          St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
          Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
          Post -op - 5 degrees
          T11 - S1 Posterior
          L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I have an appointment on Tuesday to hopefully schedule my surgery. I have a 3 year old and have already started preparing her to be my "helper" for when mommy gets her boo boo. She gets in and out of the car seat and is very happy to do so on her own.

I desperately want another baby, but can't imagine having another pregnancy with the pain I already have. For me this is a good time to have the surgery as I'm still young and we can not afford two in daycare at the moment anyway. Plus it will keep my mind off of babies and focused on recovery. If all goes well, I believe we should be able to have another child in 2012... naturally or adoption.

As for my support system, I've come up with a plan of my husband taking two weeks of vacation and then alternating friends and family for a week at a time until I can handle things on my own again. Pretty much everything is falling into place... now I just need a date!
            Tiffany K
            I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
            4'11", never braced
            Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
            T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Comment

Hi everyone-

My surgery is set for June 8. I am 31 years old and have a 5 year old and my other child will be 3 in July. We just potty trained her 2 weeks ago so I won't have to worry about bending over and changing diapers all the time. She also just started getting into the car seat herself. Putting a child into a car seat really strains your back, so I think it is important that the child be able to get in and out of the carseat by himself/herself. I recently started telling my 5 year old about my upcoming surgery and how he'd have to help alittle more around the house. I worry about the state that my house will be in while I'm in recovery. If I don't pick up the toys for one day my house looks like a complete mess with toys everywhere!
              Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
              Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
              Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
              Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
              31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Congratulations Jenm on getting your surgery date. I also worried about domestic issues prior to surgery. However, believe me, you won't care when you're recovering about toys laying around. Except, of course, you don't want to trip up.
                Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

thanks for the congrats and luck from everyone!

Rohrer - yes my back felt the best it has every during my first pregnancy - it's not what you expect is it? is it the relaxin that does that? I got pubic symthasis diysfunction though so that cancelled out my joy of having no back pain, it was excruciating, I couldn't even walk to the shops. I got very miserable and sat on the sofa and ate chocolate cake - and got very fat! hope I don't get that again.

I think those of us with girls might have an easier time with recovery; they seem to be more sensitive to people feeling bad and much more willing to help out (may be wrong - don't want to offend anyone - don't have much experience with boys! but they generally seem more boisterous and less interested in helping with the house work)

Comment

Janet - that is terrible luck. Hope it goes according to plan this time - do you have a date set?

I am also worried about the state of the house whilst I recover! its a lot to ask isn't it, nurse maid you, look after the kids AND clean your house for you too. With the best will, I know my husband wont be able to keep it tidy enough for my liking. It really irritates me when the house is a mess. I think I will start saving now, so that we can afford a cleaner to come in x

Comment

No date set yet, seeing the DR wed. I am going to have someone come clean as I have 12 weeks sick time and short term disability at 60%.
                      36 year young cardiac RN
                      old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                      new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                      Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                      Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                      and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

I had my kids 12 years post-op and had no problems carrying them during pregnancy. My husband did most of the carrying after the girls were born. Before my girls were a year old, they were over my weight limit for lifting. I used a stroller all the time.
                        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

When I have my surgery June 17, my daughter will be four and my son 1 1/2. I don't know if you plan on breastfeeding your new little one, but that may also be something to take into consideration when you plan a surgery date. I have choosen extended breastfeeding for both of my children. I nursed my daughter until she was 22 months. (No judgements here whether you breast or bottle...I know some people will think I'm crazy for nursing "so long.") I think one of my biggest challenges prior to my surgery is weaning my 17 month old. I just wanted to make you you had thought about that!

Also, JenM - you may notice some regression on your newly potty-trained daughter after your surgery.

Comment

Uggghhhh... did any of you get Symphasis Pubic Dysfunction?

I already referred to it in an earlier post - i had it when I was pregnant with my daughter 5 years ago.
                            I am only 3 months pregnant and I can already feel it starting.
                            I have an appointment to see a chiropractor on Tuesday (my original 1 is on maternity leave - i hope this one is as good). I guess it happens because I am already misaligned with having kyphosis. I would guess it is pretty common amongst us?

I was thinking of trying Masai Barefoot Technology shoes - there are alot of testimonials on the internet of pregnant women who completely cured the pain of SPD with them. But it will be complicated by the kyphosis anyway. The lady in the back-care shop wouldn't sell them to me because I am pregnant! dullard! she then tried to sell me a course of flotation therapies which she said would benefit both my kyphosis and SPD pains better than chiropractor sessions (?!?!?!?) I don't half come across them! She didn't even know what either condition was until I explained them to her.

Annnyyyhow - any one had SPD and/or tried MBT shoes?
                            Thanks

Comment

Hi Fandango, I've not had SPD but I do have MBT shoes and I think they're brilliant! Take a look at the "Tone-up shoes" thread in the Nonsurgical forum. Mamamax has recently bought some too and likes them very much

I tried flotation tank therapy once. It made my back ache rather than relaxing me; apparently that can happen in people with bad backs! I was gutted because my best friend emerged from her session looking absolutely radiant, she found it the most relaxing thing ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X