New at this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New at this

Hi Titaniumed, Just the man I'm looking for Just Kidding. Although you appear to have had the surgery I am facing and am terrified about although I have had many other things replaced hip,knee etc. Only one fusion in 1994T10 to L2 due to pedestrian versus truck guess who won. Now flatback and a hump on my back left side. working its 2ay to my side rib area. Your back looks straight in second pic. I am facing T2 to Sacral pelvis a/p. Does it pay off to get it done sooner? I have a 20 degree Sacral inclination.m10 cm rt/20cm frontal. Do you have much pain? I use a walker now was told I will stand straight without it. Did you use a brace post op?
    Last edited by Lotta51; 04-15-2010, 08:01 PM.
    Surgery T3-Sacrum
    November 2010 Age 59
    Dr Brian O'Shaughnessy Nashville, TN

Hi Lotta

Welcome to the forum.

I believe you intended to post to my thread about rotation. No worries, this will work just fine.

I'm sorry about this accident. Wow! That must have been quite an ordeal for you. We don’t see many accident victims here all that much.

I have not done a "revision" surgery. Yours would be just that since you have been fused in the past. I have just a few questions since you are new, and an accident victim.

Is you sacrum inclined due to the accident?
    Were your hips and knees replaced due to the accident?
    How long have you been on a walker? Since the accident?
    How is your pain? 1-10 scale with 10 being unbearable.

You have to realize that even though I had a T2-Pelvis A/P, yours will be a revision, and it sounds like you have a few complex issues.

Print this out to take with you. Let us know what happens with your visit. Always remember, you don’t have to make a decision right now, your surgeon will understand if you tell him that I need to think about things.

https://www.infusebonegraft.com/ques...r_surgeon.html
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Lotta51,

I just wanted to ask if you know you can post a response to Ti Ed's post right below his. You don't have to start a new thread with each of your responses.

Just click the button "Post reply" right below the last post on the left.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Ed and Sharon, Thank you for your replies and help I hope I am posting inthe right place. I did have both pevis fx , sacrum also the only rep[air they did to the body was the back surg. L leg was revuilt due to accident. R knee replacxed due to arthritis. L hip I don't know if was due to wear and tear or what but all the replacement surgeries came after the accident. I have also been dx with RA since 17 and at that age i was also dx with a degenerative spine. I never asked any questions until after the repeated surgeries. The 1st year after the accident i got around with a walker then down to the cane and for a while nothing and I look at pictures and I was standing straight, but I have gone from 5'8" to 5'3". Everyone I read about that is doing so well is unbelievable and encouraging.Thank you Ed for some good questions to ask. I live in TN the 1st doc was an ortho and had limited time to answer so I went to someone listed with SF a neuro surg. From what I have read this is a product of the fusion called flatback syndrome . Will let you know. Thanks again!!
        Surgery T3-Sacrum
        November 2010 Age 59

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          Print this out to take with you. Let us know what happens with your visit. Always remember, you don’t have to make a decision right now, your surgeon will understand if you tell him that I need to think about things.

https://www.infusebonegraft.com/ques...r_surgeon.html
          Ed
          Leave it up to Medtronic to suggest that patients ask a question like "who manufacturers the implants?" What possible difference could that make to a patient? I know a person who once told a surgeon that she wanted him to use a specific brand of implants. The surgeon politely declined to do the surgery.

While I think most of the questions are good ones, I think it's just wrong to go in to see a surgeon with a list of questions that someone else has made up. I've seen how these types of appointments go, and they're not usually very productive. I think it's best to listen to what the surgeon is telling you, and ask questions that develop organically. You'll get a lot more out of the session.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks

Hi Linda, Thank you for the website from Ed. I got it when I got back, but I did ask most of the same questions. He suggested being I am not in much pain to do the procedure later, but not too much later. He will be doing the infusion with morphic protein instead of a graft for the fusion. The procedure will be in 2 parts a couple of days apart. 1st remove old hardware place pedicle screws , then go back in the same incision do a posterior osteotomy and place the rods. I asked if he was going to put a zipper in. I also asked about the intrathecal pump I have and showed him the Gortex placement to hold in my colon that came out the back wall of my stomach from the accident. The incision meets the other spine incision. He was concerned about both and was glad I told him. Thank you both for all your help. I will use that list and ask the rest the next time I go to see him. We decided about some time in the fall to do this.
            Surgery T3-Sacrum
            November 2010 Age 59

Comment

Originally posted by Lotta51 View Post
              Ed and Sharon,
              Oh hey glad you found the reply button.

By the way, although he will always graciously answer anyway, I think Ed prefers to be called either Eddie or Snookums. Just to let you know because I've been corrected more times than I can count!

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Hello

Hi Sharon,I was addressing Titaniumed who signed his as ED so I don't knoqw what to do now, but surely don't want to offend anyone. Everyone on here has been so nice. Thanks, Lisa
                Surgery T3-Sacrum
                November 2010 Age 59

Comment

Originally posted by Lotta51 View Post
                  Hi Sharon,I was addressing Titaniumed who signed his as ED so I don't knoqw what to do now, but surely don't want to offend anyone. Everyone on here has been so nice. Thanks, Lisa
                  Oh sorry! I was kidding. I was hoping it was obvious. I shouldn't have done that and I apologize.

Ed jokes around a lot and I was just teasing him a little. But you are probably too new to know that so this was a bad thread to do that.

Again I 'm very sorry.
                  Last edited by Pooka1; 04-16-2010, 06:58 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Dang... I was just waiting for lotta to start calling him Snookems.
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                      Dang... I was just waiting for lotta to start calling him Snookems.
                      (I KNOW!!!!!!!)

But officially... I am very sorry she misunderstood.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Somehow I don't think Snookums would mind.

Lisa/Lotta....A very big welcome to you on this forum...I just started posting a few weeks ago. I've never had surgery but am thinking of it. Sounds like you have sure had a lot of rough times in your life, so you have come to the right place for lots of support and good advice.

There is a lot of joking around here which makes having scoliosis a lot more fun than just worrying about it all the time. Glad you joined....

Amy
                        Amy
                        58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                        Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                        Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                        2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                        Exercising to correct

Comment

Let's Play Get the Newbie!!

Hi! Sharon, Don't worry actually it would have been funny if I did fall for it Linda. As you can see the way i addressed Ed in the first place I have a bit of a sense of humor too. I have so much metal in me I have been addressed as the Bionic woman at the airport after the metal detctor went off for th 4th time over different areas of my body. That is why I picked on Titaniumed the name could be mine . I actually do a lot of exercise or I am very stiff for most of the day. I consider myself to be the Tin Man. Glad to meet all you nice people and laughter is the cure. I used to tell them when asked how I could joke about it and laugh that other wise I would cry and that creates a lot more wrinkles, laughing is like a cheap face lift. Amy thank you for the nice welcome. Lisa
                          Last edited by Lotta51; 04-17-2010, 01:04 AM. Reason: misspelled
                          Surgery T3-Sacrum
                          November 2010 Age 59

Comment

Lisa, you are going to be a great addition to this little sandbox.

As Snookems said, we don't have many traumatic scoliosis cases (there is only one other I can think of ATM) so it's great to have a broader experience base among the posters.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Lisa

WholelottaTi would be a good user name for you. Unless you have a mix of 316.

We don’t play "lets get the newbee" here. After a while we get bored, and need some entertainment!

Once again, we don’t see accident victims here, and welcome. It throws a completely new twist on scoliosis.

I'm off to the mountains skiing for the weekend, I will post depending on internet connectivity which is basically dependent on line of sight. I guess they cannot place antennas everywhere.

Snookems
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X